advertisement

The Euro 2020 (football) thread.

You have to look at the penalty in the context of the match and England were putting the Danes under a lot of pressure and the Danes were ceding territory and possession and seemingly content to face penalties. And a key part of withstanding that pressure is being inch perfect in defence to avoid a soft penalty

And the best way to mitigate this risk is to outplay your opponent, relieve the pressure and generally play better football.

I'd also invite people to imagine that game with 90s England, ahead by a Beckham free kick and hanging on against a skilful, say, Italy side. I'd wager lots of people would have pretty much the opposite view of the game.

It was a good, if not great game. England played well and deserved their victory against a good side. So well played everyone.

You have to look at the penalty in the context of the match and England were putting the Danes under a lot of pressure and the Danes were ceding territory and possession and seemingly content to face penalties. And a key part of withstanding that pressure is being inch perfect in defence to avoid a soft penalty

And the best way to mitigate this risk is to outplay your opponent, relieve the pressure and generally play better football.

I'd also invite people to imagine that game with 90s England, ahead by a Beckham free kick and hanging on against a skilful, say, Italy side. I'd wager lots of people would have pretty much the opposite view of the game.

It was a good, if not great game. England played well and deserved their victory against a good side. So well played everyone.

Never a penalty in a million years, you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Yes England were the better team in the second half but the diving by Kane and Sterling was ridiculous.

Never a penalty in a million years, you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Yes England were the better team in the second half but the diving by Kane and Sterling was ridiculous.

I disagree. A soft penalty but a clear mistake by the defence caused by the attacking skill of Sterling.

Also a marginal call is completely undermined if, as you admit, the side that won was the better side anyway. In fact my main take away from the match is joy at finally not having to be the side that blamed the refs for us getting beat by the better, more skilful side.

I disagree. A soft penalty but a clear mistake by the defence caused by the attacking skill of Sterling.

Also a marginal call is completely undermined if, as you admit, the side that won was the better side anyway. In fact my main take away from the match is joy at finally not having to be the side that blamed the refs for us getting beat by the better, more skilful side.

I said that England were better in the second half not that they were the better side overall.

Looks as though you only want two read/see what you like.

Never a penalty in a million years and no matter what you think or say makes it a penalty.

Just like the 1966 final all over again, the ball was never over the line.

I said that England were better in the second half not that they were the better side overall.

Looks as though you only want two read/see what you like.

Never a penalty in a million years and no matter what you think or say makes it a penalty.

Just like the 1966 final all over again, the ball was never over the line.

Your certainty is frankly preposterous.

Sterling without doubt dives, but last night was an example of VAR working how it should. It was not a clear and obvious error, so VAR should not overturn the ref's decision.

Here's Mourinho's take

“Yes, amazing game, but I’m not sure you want to listen to my opinion,” Mourinho began, as he analysed the game on talkSPORT.

“I say the way I see it, not the way it is. Maybe you don’t like my opinion this time….

“It’s never a penalty. The best team won, England deserve to win. England was fantastic, but for me it’s never a penalty.

“The best team won, England are a better team than Denmark. Denmark played the way I was expecting them to play on to their limits.

England was really, really good and no doubt they deserved to win that match.

“But, for me, it’s never a penalty. At this level, a semi-final of a Euro I don’t understand really the referee’s decision.”

He continued: “And I don’t understand even less the fact that the VAR didn’t bring the referee to the screen or overturn the decision. For me it’s never a penalty.

“So as a football man I’m very happy England won – don’t get me wrong – and I think they deserve to win – don’t get me wrong.

“But as a football man, I am disappointed that penalty was given. I thought England would win it.

“The Danish team was really, really tired in extra time. The players were absolutely at their limits.

“England had a fantastic bench to move like they did. They could even move more if they needed with the intensity of their play and their dominance in extra-time.

“I thought England would win in extra-time. As a football man I’m not happy with that penalty.

“I would say to the Danish manager congratulations for what you did, but I would prefer to win in a different way.”

https://talksport.com/football/908622/jose-mourinho-england-denmark-euro-2020-italy-penalty-verdict/

Lots of comments in the European press along the lines "Football's diving home". Bit unfair, It didn't look like a dive to me, more a stumble.

Sterling without doubt dives, but last night was an example of VAR working how it should. It was not a clear and obvious error, so VAR should not overturn the ref's decision.
I agree with that but I do think VAR missed an opportunity to suggest to the referee that he take another look at the incident on a pitchside monitor.
The outcome could quite easily have been no pen and a yellow for serial diver Sterling.
We'd have all been screaming blue murder if it had happened at the other end.
I'm alos totally fed up of watching Kane fall over to win cheap free kicks all the time - it's blatant cheating.

Here's Mourinho's take

“Yes, amazing game, but I’m not sure you want to listen to my opinion,” Mourinho began, as he analysed the game on talkSPORT.

“I say the way I see it, not the way it is. Maybe you don’t like my opinion this time….

“It’s never a penalty. The best team won, England deserve to win. England was fantastic, but for me it’s never a penalty.

“The best team won, England are a better team than Denmark. Denmark played the way I was expecting them to play on to their limits.

England was really, really good and no doubt they deserved to win that match.

“But, for me, it’s never a penalty. At this level, a semi-final of a Euro I don’t understand really the referee’s decision.”

https://talksport.com/football/908622/jose-mourinho-england-denmark-euro-2020-italy-penalty-verdict/

I don't disagree at all. For me it wasn't a penalty at all. However, from what I saw on TV, there was not enough to definitely say the ref was wrong, so VAR did it's job for once.

PS Sterling's dive as the Danish defender scored the own goal was comical. He's a good player but his diving makes it difficult to like him as a sportsman

I don't disagree at all. For me it wasn't a penalty at all. However, from what I saw on TV, there was not enough to definitely say the ref was wrong, so VAR did it's job for once.

PS Sterling's dive as the Danish defender scored the own goal was comical. He's a good player but his diving makes it difficult to like him as a sportsman

The comments from Mourinho re the penalty are quite illuminating considering his teams are famous for diving Porto were outrageous cheats when he managed them.

We'd have all been screaming blue murder if it had happened at the other end.

Which is exactly the point. No longer are we cursing our luck at the refs allowing the better side to progress and undermining our heroic, rear guard action with a shady decision we instead developed a squad full of skilful players, played on balance the better football and enjoyed the rub of the green that so often favours the better side.

Here's Mourinho's take
(etc..etc...)

Fair enough but he too did not mention that the Danish goal would never have happened had they not been awarded a very iffy free kick.

Also, though in my very unqualified opinion, England did not play anywhere near their best.. they also didn't have much of the 'run of the ball'..which was just unlucky overall. Such things.. IMHO.. have more impact than some like to admit.

advertisement

Back