advertisement

Denafrips Ares II thoughts

He's right, though.

I have no interest. If he was right, it would all sound the same, but it dosent.

But both of your posts do help me with my insomnia sometimes, so you both have your place in my world for sure. Mucho love.

Oh, that. That calculation applies, as I stated there, if the DAC is providing the clock. However, no actual implementations are done this way, instead opting for the simpler (but inferior) solution of placing the clock in the I2S transmitter. This is also stated in that post. For the commercially available products using I2S between boxes, the cable length is only limited by signal degradation, and this shouldn't be a problem until you exceed 10 m, probably more.

Oh, that. That calculation applies, as I stated there, if the DAC is providing the clock. However, no actual implementations are done this way, instead opting for the simpler (but inferior) solution of placing the clock in the I2S transmitter. This is also stated in that post. For the commercially available products using I2S between boxes, the cable length is only limited by signal degradation, and this shouldn't be a problem until you exceed 10 m, probably more.
Got it. I stand corrected.

So far in the main a ND5 XS 2 and on the odd occasion for CD playback using a BD-S1900 as a transport.

The guy has a 20k Dac and uses a £2k Naim ND5XS2 dac/streamer as a streamer?

How do you use the DDC thing as the NAIM does not have a USB out?

The Denafrips Hermes and Gaia DDCs have USB, AES, Co-ax, Optical inputs. The Mutec is another reclocker which is not only USB.

The Denafrips Hermes and Gaia DDCs have USB, AES, Co-ax, Optical inputs. The Mutec is another reclocker which is not only USB.

Ah I see, so it can input as coaxial and output as USB?

I’ll definitely have to try one of these out, although it will most likely be the Innuos one as they obtainable on home demo.

I trust your opinion on these having gone through the trialing on all of this! I think as you mentioned, the question will boil down to ‘how much of a difference does it make and is it comparable to the cost’. This would naturally relay to the kit being used with it etc. But by the sounds of it, even 4k streamers and dacs could and do benefit.

Just to be clear we’re using a ND5 XS 2 and a BD-S1900. ND5 XS 2 BNC Coaxial Digital Out > into Coaxial Digital GAIA DDC input > GAIA DDC Coaxial Digital Out and at the moment into the Coaxial Digital input of a Terminator II DAC.

From Denafrips -

We do not limit the GAIA to process only the USB signal. We raised the bar. The GAIA accepts USB, SPDIF (Coax, TOSLink, AES/EBU) inputs. These digital signal data-stream will be FIFO buffered and reclocked via the Precision Oven Controlled Crystal Oscillator OCXO. This process eliminates the jitter to negligible level, ensuring the digital output signal are free from the harmful jitter noise. The use of OCXO plays an important role here.

https://www.denafrips.com/gaia

Our first client is using an Esoteric K-01 and a laptop into the GAIA DDC > D-02X DAC.

Our other client will be using an Auralic G2.1 > GAIA DDC > DAVE DAC.

The differences were fairly obvious to me being honest. Much more than I expected, as I really wanted to sell the Naim and use a Bluesound to save a few quid.

Not so much between the Node, NP5 and Meridian 210, (the Np5 was clearly the worst though), but between those and the Naim was big.

I spent a week playing around, doing some semi blind testing always came out knowing the Naim. I would put the Bluesound second, and the 210 third, NP5 fourth.

The quality of the source, is becoming in my opinion, equally as important as the DAC, and I believe the majority of the SQ improvements are based around power supplies. I think a Bluesound with an LPS and the common PSU tweak would bring it closer to the NAIM but I only had a bog standard one to try. The Naim was the only unit using a proper Toroidal power supply.

For me now, I feel that it's wasteful to spend huge amounts on a good DAC and feed a poor quality source - probably why this USB re-clocker was invented as mentioned by Hecky earlier with the ability to improve a RPI. Having just bought a really nice R2R, an Aqua La Voce S3 (which I would love to compare against your Venus if you live near London!) I want to get the most from it, and the Node definitely didn't give me that when the Naim was present.

I'm on the cusp of ordering an Innous Zen or Zenith, if I manage to push myself over the emotional hurdle of the cost lol, I'll be able to compare against the Naim. If theres no improvement, it will go back and Ill be satisfied that the Naim is as far as I can go at this sort of price range.

One thing I do know now, is how good the Naim is at pretty much everything. As a one box solution, its probably the best on the market at its price point, and probably a fair bit beyond that.

If you really want to sell the Naim try an Allo DigiOne Sig with Shanti supply. You may find you are quite happy to part company. I use this device and am consistently astonished at what it pulls out. I have ‘compared’ with the ND5XS2 and didn’t find it lacking but do have to say it was not a back to back demo. I use with Rune and ROPIEE. And FWIW I run it into a Qutest.

If you do try it, I would be really interested to hear what your impressions are.

For some reason when I read various threads about DDC the reports of big improvements with DDC forget to mention that their source is not USB or a noisy computer directly attached.
So why not spend the money on a better DAC with a good USB implementation and or a better streamer. The cost of the Gaia or the £2,599 Innous Phonix does not sound like money well spend to me.
The Terminator Plus was on my list, but I ended up buying a Holo Audio May DAC It has a good UBS implementation and I use a Steamer that also has a good USB output. So no DDC for me.

For some reason when I read various threads about DDC the reports of big improvements with DDC forget to mention that their source is not USB or a noisy computer directly attached.
So why not spend the money on a better DAC with a good USB implementation and or a better streamer. The cost of the Gaia or the £2,599 Innous Phonix does not sound like money well spend to me.
The Terminator Plus was on my list, but I ended up buying a Holo Audio May DAC It has a good UBS implementation and I use a Steamer that also has a good USB output. So no DDC for me.
A few months ago I was all for the Venus II and then I came across Godensound's Holo Audio May review. Which set me on a path towards the May.... I'd love to know how you find the May DAC and how you decided on this,... What other DACs did you consider. I would value your review of the May.... as a fellow FDAC sponsor, I feel we have similar tastes and requirements.

If you really want to sell the Naim try an Allo DigiOne Sig with Shanti supply. You may find you are quite happy to part company. I use this device and am consistently astonished at what it pulls out. I have ‘compared’ with the ND5XS2 and didn’t find it lacking but do have to say it was not a back to back demo. I use with Rune and ROPIEE. And FWIW I run it into a Qutest.

If you do try it, I would be really interested to hear what your impressions are.

I would definitely try it if I had the chance, I am definitely not about making judgement before hearing something, but afer my experience with a Rpi, I probably wont want to invest money into one of those.

I believe Heckyman has had a few dacs running with the DDC, including the May and found differences when using the DDC even with that, but was using an Mac Mini unlike a dedicated streamer. I think the general consensus has been, it still makes a difference but that difference is smaller on higher end Dacs and streamers, so the pound per found value balance has to be accessed by the user. I agree though, Dac and streamer comes first.

I have a La Voce S3 which is below the May financially but still pretty damn pricey. I should be able to get an Innous Phoenix in the future to trial, so will report back.

I would definitely try it if I had the chance, I am definitely not about making judgement before hearing something, but afer my experience with a Rpi, I probably wont want to invest money into one of those.

It’s great how we are all so different. I do get the appeal of streamer like the Naim that is attractive and gives great results. However, given the pace at which digital moves and the investment required in software to build a great app I’m much more comfortable with the open solution of Pi/Allo Sig/Roon… and IMO similar quality output for comparatively small change. Im also comforted by knowing that if Roon or any other s/w goes away I can flash the card with another o/s.

When you talk about your previous experience I’m not sure whether you are referring to output quality or ease use. If it’s the latter ROPIEE is the best Pi s/w I’ve used. It just works without hassle.

I’d like to say I’ve reduced the amount of h/w significantly too, but given the size of the Shanti that wouldn’t be true :D!

Enjoying your journey from afar.

It’s great how we are all so different. I do get the appeal of streamer like the Naim that is attractive and gives great results. However, given the pace at which digital moves and the investment required in software to build a great app I’m much more comfortable with the open solution of Pi/Allo Sig/Roon… and IMO similar quality output for comparatively small change. Im also comforted by knowing that if Roon or any other s/w goes away I can flash the card with another o/s.

When you talk about your previous experience I’m not sure whether you are referring to output quality or ease use. If it’s the latter ROPIEE is the best Pi s/w I’ve used. It just works without hassle.

I’d like to say I’ve reduced the amount of h/w significantly too, but given the size of the Shanti that wouldn’t be true :D!

Enjoying your journey from afar.

A lot of merit in that, I do also worry that there may be a constant requirement to upgrade large expensive boxes as technology goes on, but thankfully, it hasnt really happened yet since I have been 'streaming'. I imagine it will though. The likes of Innouos appeal as their new 2.0 operating system looks pretty fantastic and on par with Roon.

I like the simplicity of one box, and for something that dosent require any real input from me . Also I need to like the look of it!

The rPI I was harsh, and harshly undetailed, very robotic with lots of sibilance (in comparison to the NAIM). It was on loan from me from a audiophile who built it and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. I connect harshness with 'noise' , as when I remove elements of it in the form of LPS's or IFI Quiet powers, it gets reduced. However I was using more budget DACs back then, so I cant entirely comment as systems have moved on etc. The operation and stability of it seemed fine through Roon, no issues there at all.

I'd definitely would like to try one again for sure, but I wont invest any money in to one, so it would have to be a loaner!

In America the Schiit Bifrost 2 is $699, plus it has a five-year warranty, is made in America, has brilliant customer support, offers a 15 day home trial, and is designed by one of the world’s legendary digital audio engineers (Mike Moffat). All of that carries a lot of weight for me when considering a DAC upgrade.

I am currently revelling in hearing the Ares II DAC with Lavardin Technologies ISX Reference amplifier and QLN Prestige 3's loudspeakers :)

From Denafrips -

The ARES II DAC is built with a sole objective in mind - to reproduce digital music to analoguelike sound for today’s audiophile. The use of advanced hardware design, powerful digital processing technology, combined with the know-how of recording and reproduction experiences, ARES II DAC achieved the digital music playback goals - musical expression.

The architecture uses the most primitive R-2R DAC technology, it is probably the most suitable architecture to reproduce music. Despite the test results of various measurements and parameters of the conventional R-2R DAC may usually not as good as the mainstream integrated DAC chip, but the sound of R-2R DAC, is often filled with emotion, relaxing, high resolution, and addictive musicality that most of the common mainstream integrated DAC chips cannot match.

advertisement

Back