advertisement

Wiring a RS Talema 0-25V 0-25V

I know I'm right and you lot are wrong... and I really couldn't care less if I make enemies of all of you as the truth is infinitely more important than being liked etc. I don't need to hang around 5G masts to know those conspiracy theorists are crazy either:p

You are Donald Trump, I claim my £5 ;) Problem for me with your blinkered approach is the impact it has on "collective knowledge" of a site like PFM - on the one hand you're incredibly competent, and you have much opinion of value which you share...on the other you have have your head shoved so far up your ass on certain subjects it is just not funny...

Oscilloscope :) But I have also taken the chance before when the label has showed the colours - I joined the 2 in the middle and measured off load with AC on volt meter across outside wires - mine was correct and measured as expected - I assume if wrong you would have 0v AC output...but that is just an assumption :)

You are Donald Trump, I claim my £5 ;) Problem for me with your blinkered approach is the impact it has on "collective knowledge" of a site like PFM - on the one hand you're incredibly competent, and you have much opinion of value which you share...on the other you have have your head shoved so far up your ass on certain subjects it is just not funny...

Now that is hilarious:p:p

My objection is precisely the same one in fact... people like "you lot" who haven't a clue about many aspects are publicly agreeing with each other and prompting the likes of the OP to believe complete tosh, as we've just seen.
His initial question will of course have been due to others saying similar tosh and prompting his curiosity.

We see it on a daily basis here in the DIY section where total bollox, started and propagated elsewhere by those with a financial axe to grind and seen everywhere hi fi is discussed, has meant that now virtually every noob and all that know no better seem to think the brand of electrolytic capacitors is crucial... and the type of rectifier... even the make of the resistors... whilst meaningful questions about things that actually matter are vastly less common!

This is how we are at the point where loads of otherwise intelligent people believe that things like mains leads, magic fuses and grounding boxes can make a valuable difference. Several people agreeing that a load of bollox is actually correct does not make it really correct!
In recent years an actual majority have thought trump, brexit and boris are a good idea and obviously they are not just wrong but spectacularly wrong. You don't have to look far to find loads of idiots who think 5G is dangerous and vaccines are a bad idea either... in fact I'm sure there are forums where it's the almost universal belief.

I suppose on an anti-vax type forum where 90% of people think they are genuinely dangerous then they must be correct as a majority say so?:D In this corollary I'm sure they all say medical text books and doctors are all talking bollox and "have their heads so far up their arses on this important issue that it's not funny"!

I have a couple of toroids without markings: is there a way to find out the correct phase?

Oh thank you:D Delicious! You didn't know something THAT basic and yet have just been arguing that you are right against a professional engineer who's been doing this for decades and designed more amplifiers, pre amps, phono stages, power supplies etc etc than you've had hot dinners:rolleyes:

Just happen to have it doing nothing, I could go for a 120va similar or a Nait 3 both of which are available.
The big transformer came in an EPONA Hicap clone quite a long time ago.
This time it is going to power x9 ALWSRs. Should I go for lower power?

@Arkless Electronics - I generally report results of things I have done myself. Yes, I may be full of shit with a stupid subjective mind that ignores (or doesn’t even know about) the laws of physics…dear reader, please decide. But I post based on my experience.

I assume anyone who would believe anything I said would also review my history of content here on PFM, or knows me already.

You? In my opinion you’re just a blinkered asshole who occasionally adds something of value so I keep reading your input…but more and more I wish I had not…

Just happen to have it doing nothing, I could go for a 120va similar or a Nait 3 both of which are available.
The big transformer came in an EPONA Hicap clone quite a long time ago.
This time it is going to power x9 ALWSRs. Should I go for lower power?

Overkill is always good IME :)

Oh thank you:D Delicious! You didn't know something THAT basic and yet have just been arguing that you are right against a professional engineer who's been doing this for decades and designed more amplifiers, pre amps, phono stages, power supplies etc etc than you've had hot dinners:rolleyes:

May I remind you that despite your "designed more amps than you've had hot dinners" and "professional engineer" etc. you didn't understand how a mosfet works a few months back!
(In a speaker protection circuit).

Nobody's perfect and like I said earlier, the really clever guys never say never. See the last line of post ~29 here:
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/ewa-amplifier-house-sound.254443/page-2#post-4341836

@Arkless Electronics - I generally report results of things I have done myself. Yes, I may be full of shit with a stupid subjective mind that ignores (or doesn’t even know about) the laws of physics…dear reader, please decide. But I post based on my experience.

I assume anyone who would believe anything I said would also review my history of content here on PFM, or knows me already.

You? In my opinion you’re just a blinkered asshole who occasionally adds something of value so I keep reading your input…but more and more I wish I had not…

A blatant breach of AUP there... wish I could get away with it:p

Maybe you could enlighten the dear readers as to how long you've worked as an electronic engineer and how many amplifiers etc you've designed? Or would it be more a case of you've built a few kits and copied a couple of designs from magazine articles?:p

May I remind you that despite your "designed more amps than you've had hot dinners" and "professional engineer" etc. you didn't understand how a mosfet works a few months back!
(In a speaker protection circuit).

Nobody's perfect and like I said earlier, the really clever guys never say never. See the last line of post ~29 here:
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/ewa-amplifier-house-sound.254443/page-2#post-4341836

OMMV on who the clever guys are... But none of us stop learning. I generally spend at least an hour a day, 7 days a week, reading electronics text books, datasheets, studying extant designs etc and personally design probably an item of hi fi gear every 2 or 3 weeks when averaged out over a year (yes mainly simulated. If it's interesting or promising enough it may get built tested and listened to). Which gives me the confidence to call out all the nonsense for what it is when I see it.

Worthwhile, factually correct information on the design of analogue electronics is not, funnily enough, mistakenly missed out of every electronics text book and never mentioned in the works of the likes of JLH, Walker, Baxandall, Self etc only to be put right by a few kit builders on hi fi forums who've read too much "6 moons" and consider themselves capable of hearing less than a millionth of a Watt of (usually imaginary) "noise and interference";)

A blatant breach of AUP there... wish I could get away with it:p

Is it? Apologies if so - want I remove it?

Maybe you could enlighten the dear readers as to how long you've worked as an electronic engineer and how many amplifiers etc you've designed? Or would it be more a case of you've built a few kits and copied a couple of designs from magazine articles?:p

10 years as a repair technician, just over a year also modifying equipment under the guidance of a Guru in Australia after emigrating there...before realising there was no money in it, and switching to IT. Indeed, I only copy other ideas really, with little original thought of my own :) But I'm really not sure why that is relevant to this discussion about how different diode configs in rectifiers affect sound quality, and your steadfast refusal to acknowledge there is a difference?

Come on guys there really isn't any need for this. It's not constructive and very unhelpful. Surely between us we can come up with an idea to show either one or the other POVs are correct, or even maybe somewhere in the middle, who knows? I know from my own meddlings over the years, especially with a DIY Bitstream DAC I was playing with some years ago now that changing the bypass caps can 'change' the perceived frequency response, despite that fact that it measures 'flat' before and after changes. I was using a test-tone CD and just measuring the relative output voltages at spot-freqs. This is something that has always intrigued me because if it measures flat before and after the change, how can it 'sound' different? Is this an improvement in 'transient' response, is it from the phase relationship changing across the frequency spectrum (like wot speakers do) or something else? Surely it isn't beyond the whit of the more technical to come up with something? Is it possible to record (either analogue or more probably digitally) a piece of music that shows this 'audible effect' best from before and after application of the 'modification' and then compare the recordings of these two pieces by inverting one and adding them together to produce the 'difference', a bit like a differential amp does? Surely there must be software capable of this as it has long been possible to look at a recording for brick-walling, compression etc? I will see if I can have a word with our instrumentation engineer at work as we have a piece of kit (Dewesoft) that is used for 'recording' data from transducers (we use it for testing on trains) to see what might be possible.

I have a couple of toroids without markings: is there a way to find out the correct phase?
Good day
Best way to known about phase of toroidal transformer check the second coils of phase indication screwdriver (Mains Tester Screwdriver with Neon Indicator)

Please watch this video 1.16 minuts

If your transformer connecting in to power line with wrong phase you have red light of phase screwdriver touch in second coils

p.s be carefull when you works with power line 220v this is very dangerous

Last edited:
Reactions: jpk

I don't consider it as a shame to not knowing something even basic. I am fine to learn.

BTW I did not claim that I am right in regard to engineering, I just say I can hear. If you claim that what I hear does not exist, it just means that you can't hear what I can hear. Simple as that it is.

Designing audio gear without being able to hear the difference between cables: Aimless Electronics I would call this. But proudly throwing dirt at others...

Good day
Best way to known about phase of toroidal transformer check the second coils of phase indication screwdriver (Mains Tester Screwdriver with Neon Indicator)

Please watch this video 1.16 minuts

If your transformer connecting in to power line with wrong phase you have red light of phase screwdriver touch in second coils

p.s be carefull when you works with power line 220v this is very dangerous

Many Thanks!

advertisement

Back