advertisement

Wiring a RS Talema 0-25V 0-25V

chrisn

pfm Member
I am going to use it to power nine regulator ciruits to provide +ve 25V. Could be TPR4s or ALWSRs or a mixture of the two.
I have always gone for centre tap in the past but what are the alternatives and which is best for what I want to achieve?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrgnpzame9f7y5i/BR1.jpg?dl=0
I know the first two schemes will work, but is it possible to use two bridges?
I would be grateful for any guidance.

Me too.

In my experience it did, without any further change except to add a second centre-tapped transformer

Many peoples "experience" says the laws of physics are redundant... I'll continue to believe fact over any amount of subjective opinion and experience!

Me too. In my experience it did, without any further change except to add a second centre-tapped transformer

Even with only one transformer it usually sounds better.

It’s centre tap and two diodes all the way for me.

Correct: that sounds way better, and there are a number of reasons for it.

Many peoples "experience" says the laws of physics are redundant... I'll continue to believe fact over any amount of subjective opinion and experience!

No: your opinion is subjective and you ignore physics: a 2 diode configuration of course is cleaner, due to laws of physics. If you can't hear a difference you should leave these discussions to those who can. Sorry but I can't stand your "polite" rudness any more: the forum is full of your posts arguing always the same: that your opinion is law of physics and the opinions of the others are subjective / misbelief etc.

Even with only one transformer it usually sounds better.

Correct: that sounds way better, and there are a number of reasons for it.

No: your opinion is subjective and you ignore physics: a 2 diode configuration of course is cleaner, due to laws of physics. If you can't hear a difference you should leave these discussions to those who can. Sorry but I can't stand your "polite" rudness any more: the forum is full of your posts arguing always the same: that your opinion is law of physics and the opinions of the others are subjective / misbelief etc.

Don't bother reading or replying to my posts then. Transformers never under any circumstances effect sound quality apart from in the minds of "believers" such as yourself. I will continue to post that virtually everything said by the subjectivist brigade is bollox as it is the truth:p

Don't bother reading or replying to my posts then. Transformers never under any circumstances effect sound quality apart from in the minds of "believers" such as yourself. I will continue to post that virtually everything said by the subjectivist brigade is bollox as it is the truth:p

You really can be an objectionable shit Jez, huh? :) And based on a complete misunderstanding of the question? Who said anything about transformers making a SQ difference? OP is questioning whether using 4 diode junctions or 2 sounds better. Personally I have never tried the middle config in OPs dropbox link - but have tried swapping from bottom config to top, and it made a large difference on a dual rail DIY 24v Naim PSU.

It is not very efficient use of transformer windings, but it does sound better :)

Here you see the bottom config - second transformer is there but not connected. I ran it happily like this for 6 months or so before connecting the second xer and using centre tap & only 2 diode junctions of the bridge. No idea why I waited so long :)

51160902961_c7c197330a_k.jpg

My post at the time (15 years ago!).

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/unmolested-nac-62-to-mod-what-to-do.26140/page-5#post-334372

I still have the PSU gathering dust...still on chipboard :) I also swapped CAT5 ethernet cables carrying the dual rails to the pre-amp to thicker mains cable (they were about a metre long), also made a SQ difference. Then finally swapped the old Naim bridge junctions for Schottky diodes, another SQ increase.

Don't bother reading or replying to my posts then. Transformers never under any circumstances effect sound quality apart from in the minds of "believers" such as yourself.

In my career in power electronics I have met hundreds of engineers and many of the best chip and mechanical designers. The good ones never say never!!
There have been too many examples of apparently simple systems that turn out to have unexpected complications. This stuff is not covered in "Foundations of Electronics".

I will continue to post that virtually everything said by the subjectivist brigade is bollox as it is the truth:p

Please give yourself and us a rest and try to restrict yourself to making your point just once per thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpk
As much as the likes of "you lot" unfortunately have the right on this public forum to propagate what I consider "fake news", "alternative facts" etc I also have the right to publicly condemn this and provide correction to such things. This I will continue to do.

Much of the "fake news/background noise" is akin to people endlessly obsessing over how a 20 Tonne rated tow rope could be optimised to allow it to handle 20.1 Tonne when in fact the car to be towed only weighs 1 Tonne and there is the much bigger issue of flat tyres to consider anyway!

NOTHING before filtration/smoothing and regulators makes any difference. NOTHING!!!! Deliberately add as much noise and interference to the mains as you like... use the crappiest capacitors you can get... Zero difference.

This is why we use RC or LC or RLC filters and why we use regulators. If a million Volts could be handled then it would be easy to reduce a million Volts of "noise and interference" to well below 1Volt on the output. 120dB of PSRR is what I'm talking here and that is easily achievable by cascaded regulators and filters.

In the context of a power amplifier the kind of noise level differences on the output due to the kind of things "you lot" claim to hear will be probably way less than a millionth of a Watt (or even 100 X less than this!). This is why no serious text on electronics mentions such things and why I never see any such thing when designing my take on the absolute state of the art in low noise regulated supplies etc.

Grounding regime is critical, wiring layout important, but make and type of transformer has no effect and neither does make and type of rectifier or (assuming good implementation) whether it uses a full wave Graetz bridge or bi-phase rectification.

I'm not the one trying to re-write science and the history of technology to bend it to whatever I imagine I hear... "You lot" are the one's doing that!:rolleyes:

not the one trying to re-write science and the history of technology to bend it to whatever

You want to define the absolute truth for other people: re-writing history, intolerance, racism, war, destroy of nature etc. etc. etc. are the consequences as we all know.

Back to topic: did you ever look deeper into the differences between 2 diode and 4 diode rectification? Returns have a very different path to name just one example, so please prove us how this can't make any differences downstream, because not being able to hear a difference can't be accepted as a proof.

drivel removed...below requires an IMVHO...IMVHO

Grounding regime is critical, wiring layout important, but make and type of transformer has no effect and neither does make and type of rectifier or (assuming good implementation) whether it uses a full wave Graetz bridge or bi-phase rectification.

At least 3 people above say they have tested it and notice a difference...most have been members here longer than you. Have you at least tried different rectifier configs yourself to see if you notice anything? Or are you so sure of the truth it is just not necessary? Or you just didn't hear any difference in your application? Lordy - you really are unbelievable...but at least consistent, and quite good fun, LOL :D

Thanks everyone, so in summary “use centre taps” or in my case pair secondaries to create a centre tap or use a dual centre tap transformer.
For my transformer in the OP that means joining the middle two output wires yellow and black to form the centre tap. Right!

At least 3 people above say they have tested it and notice a difference...most have been members here longer than you. Have you at least tried different rectifier configs yourself to see if you notice anything? Or are you so sure of the truth it is just not necessary? Or you just didn't here any difference in your application? Lordy - you really are unbelievable...but at least consistent, and quite good fun, LOL :D

I know I'm right and you lot are wrong... and I really couldn't care less if I make enemies of all of you as the truth is infinitely more important than being liked etc. I don't need to hang around 5G masts to know those conspiracy theorists are crazy either:p

Thanks everyone, so in summary “use centre taps” or in my case pair secondaries to create a centre tap or use a dual centre tap transformer.
For my transformer in the OP that means joining the middle two output wires yellow and black to form the centre tap. Right!

Make sure windings are in phase for centre tap - normally a black dot marked by wires or on label.

No not right. Use any configuration as the filtering and regulation are so much more important as to render it a non issue.

advertisement

Back