advertisement

Stock Market 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a holder, glad to hear it. Let's hope Elliot can identify and develop one or two new blockbuster drugs pronto as Emma needs a bit of help.

Elliott Management are a hedge fund. They tend to take positions in undervalued companies and have a good track record of increasing shareholder value. They’re good at shaking things up. Have a look at the whole EMC / Dell takeover as an example. If Elliott are involved, there’s upside for sure.

Also according to FT.com, the private equity companies that funded the US shale oil boom are now staying away from shale drillers - so they are not coming onstream as much now that the oil price is recovering (traditional oil projects are capex-heavy but comparitively revex-light - shale oil is the reverse hence the need for ongoing funding to continue). Why do I mention this? Prior to the longer term terminal decline of oil, there could be an interim supply crunch in the shorter term. Disclaimer - I heavily invested in BP and Shell shares during the crash last year so treat my comments with the disdain they deserve!

Also according to FT.com, the private equity companies that funded the US shale oil boom are now staying away from shale drillers - so they are not coming onstream as much now that the oil price is recovering (traditional oil projects are capex-heavy but comparitively revex-light - shale oil is the reverse hence the need for ongoing funding to continue). Why do I mention this? Prior to the longer term terminal decline of oil, there could be an interim supply crunch in the shorter term. Disclaimer - I heavily invested in BP and Shell shares during the crash last year so treat my comments with the disdain they deserve!
I should also mention that the shale drilling activity has been the "relief valve" for the oil price in the last decade. This could mean that the oil price spikes high in the next 6-24 months.

Elliott Management are a hedge fund. They tend to take positions in undervalued companies and have a good track record of increasing shareholder value. They’re good at shaking things up. Have a look at the whole EMC / Dell takeover as an example. If Elliott are involved, there’s upside for sure.

I know, I was just being a little flippant b/c the share price is (or was) stuck, AZ has outperformed, and I'm in two minds over the CEO (none of that would have come across in my post of course, unless you're a mind reader :D). Will take a look at the EMC/Dell takeover - thanks.

Gold's definitely trying to shake out of it's recent funk.

Miners really starting shift now - I just couldn't underside why they were so down a few months back.

Fortunately I diversified from the FTSE about 1999 into smaller stocks and Europe to get better capital growth.

I bought some Tesco to get the dividend. Not convinced they are particularly undervalued but they look solid.

I am not brave enough to go for holiday/travel companies at present. I am sure there are some bargains but I don't know how to pick the winners.

I’m in on both. I figure TUI will survive, and there’s pent up demand for travel/holidays, so I’d expect a recovery. But I’m a newbie at investing compared to many...

If you factor in the dividends?

A top-line comparison (so not sure when divs are taken into account) but the FTSE has underperformed - certainly when compared to the US. Last year it was in the 10 worst performing markets. It's had some external knocks of course - global financial crisis, Brexit, Covid, etc., and may about to be facing another - Scottish Independence. Like Dozey, I have diversified.

A top-line comparison (so not sure when divs are taken into account) but the FTSE has underperformed - certainly when compared to the US. Last year it was in the 10 worst performing markets. It's had some external knocks of course - global financial crisis, Brexit, Covid, etc., and may about to be facing another - Scottish Independence. Like Dozey, I have diversified.
Which does mean that the dividend return is not bad.
The US inflated valuations can only make sense if they continue to soar

Which does mean that the dividend return is not bad.
The US inflated valuations can only make sense if they continue to soar

Indeed, but soar they have and if you cash in you can enjoy those returns. Better market to invest in than the FTSE IMO.

I suspect the FTSE 100 is going to have a good year. Regressing to the mean perhaps.

The US markets worry the hell out of me. I’ve got a fair chunk in them through my main plan. I’m far more comfortable long term holding a select number of excellent FTSE 100 companies (which are global in any case), than what seems like gambling in the US, pumped up by Robin Hood covid stimulus cheques.

Indeed, the US tech stocks bubble market and Bitcoin have a lot in common.
Other share markets around the world are just business as usual.
So long as these bubbles keep inflating, they will outstrip any conventional investment, but sooner or later something bursts (or they have all of the money in the world)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back