advertisement

Is an 86” lcd too big?

When I got a 32” it seemed big. A few years later it seemed small, but the 40” that replaced it seemed big. Same thing again when I got my current 55”, but to be honest even that’s not looking quite so enormous any more.

You’ll adjust over time to a bigger screen, so IMO get as big as you like so long as it fits in the room. It’ll look huge for a while, but it’ll soon feel like it’s shrunk to a more manageable size.

If you’ve got the wall space, and find it comfortable to watch, go for it. I’ve enjoyed a 55” tv more than a 42”, and a 65” more than the 55”. If my wife would allow it, the 65” would be replaced with a 77” or larger. I love watching movies on a large screen.

I sold my KURO for just €250 a few years ago. It was obviously not as good as the OLED set that replaced it but was still excellent.

The guy that bought it is elderly and knows zero about tech but always tells me how much he loves it when I meet him. They were pure class!

We’ve been using Netflix for the past year which is pretty decent quality wise but I popped on a Blu-Ray for first time in ages and was knocked out at how good the picture on the Kuro is still. I know disc replay is on the wane but it’s still way ahead on quality for pictures and sound. I can only imagine what a 4K BR looks like on good 4K panel.

If you’ve got the wall space, and find it comfortable to watch, go for it. I’ve enjoyed a 55” tv more than a 42”, and a 65” more than the 55”. If my wife would allow it, the 65” would be replaced with a 77” or larger. I love watching movies on a large screen.
Wall mounting is the key if you want to the set to fit into a room as it just becomes part of the wall it’s mounted on. If they’re mounted on any kind of unit with their stands, they seem draw attention to themselves.
They just look so much sleeker on a wall especially if you’re able to hide the cables away. That needs planning but it’s really worth it.
Can the OP wall mount that big Tv?

We’ve been using Netflix for the past year which is pretty decent quality wise but I popped on a Blu-Ray for first time in ages and was knocked out at how good the picture on the Kuro is still. I know disc replay is on the wane but it’s still way ahead on quality for pictures and sound. I can only imagine what a 4K BR looks like on good 4K panel.
Yeah when I first played Blu-ray on mine back in 2012 when I got it I was blown away. It was far better than Blu-ray I’d watched on various 1080p LCD and plasmas, Panasonic and LG. The KURO really was ahead of its time and stood out from all the rest.

I like new tech so moved on but I’m sure like yourself I’d still be happy with it if I’d have kept it.

Yeah when I first played Blu-ray on mine back in 2012 when I got it I was blown away. It was far better than Blu-ray I’d watched on various 1080p LCD and plasmas, Panasonic and LG. The KURO really was ahead of its time and stood out from all the rest.

I like new tech so moved on but I’m sure like yourself I’d still be happy with it if I’d have kept it.

Not in a position to change it now plus the HDMI leads buried in the wall at the time are only 1.4 or 1.3 spec so I wouldn’t be able to use a 4K tv. I think you need HDMI 2.0 for 4K? Could be wrong on that though.

They weren’t £5k but were very desirable anyway!

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/pioneer-kuro-krp-500a-50in-plasma-tv

I bought and still use the 50" PDP-LX5090 for £1600 in 2009 (RRP £1900). The 60" PDP-LX6090 was just too expensive at over £4k.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/pioneer-kuro-pdp-lx6090-60in-plasma-tv

Amazing what £1600 will get you now but I don’t plan on changing the Kuro any time soon as it’s still a great Tv.
Aye they are still up there, I sold my Sammy in Jan and had to wait till Nov to get the LG so used the Kuro for 10 months, still a great picture to watch. Seen the odd 60" go for a hundred or two but none near enough for me to collect - bit of a gamble, wish I'd gone for the 60 14 years ago.

I just looked it up and I bought an Onkyo 905 with the Kuro 508D that's why I remember £5K - TV was £3600 Bought from AV Land who sent one of their guys up in a transit cos all of the Aberdeen shops had sold out and couldn't get me one for Xmas 2007.

Not in a position to change it now plus the HDMI leads buried in the wall at the time are only 1.4 or 1.3 spec so I wouldn’t be able to use a 4K tv. I think you need HDMI 2.0 for 4K? Could be wrong on that though.
Old High Speed HDMI cables work - this is likely what you have chased in.

• HDMI 1.4 standard: 4K Ultra HD compatible (3840 x 2160 pixels) at 24, 25 and 30 fps, and 3D compatible. Maximum bitrate of 10.2 Gbps.

Drive in?
If you're gonna go big - Sammy 292"

samsung-292-inch-tv-indiatechadvice-1024x512.jpg

We sit a long way back from the only position we can realistically position a TV, so a big screen's a must. I've used projectors for many years, but in the end I got a bit fed up with having to lower blinds, etc., so we went for, initially, one of the last 65" Panasonic plasma sets (now with a fellow Fishie), followed by 65" Samsung QLED (also now with a Fishie). We now have a 77" LG OLED, which is quite superb, and I echo the previous comment regarding the superiority of OLED over LED for very large screens.

After three years, the screen on our LG packed up & was repaired via the excellent Richer Sounds (best place to buy a TV) 6-year warranty. Their Cambridge branch very kindly lent us a Hisense 55" LED set (which was actually remarkably good) but it was a relief to get our bigger screen back.

I can't accommodate a larger screen because it has to fit between the stereo speakers -
MZznSkS.jpg

We have a 49" in a large space, it was originally purchased for a more normal sized room.
In the large space it's totally lost, seems about the same as watching an old 14" beyond the end of the bed!
It's developed an expensive fault (screen split into equal halves of normal and dim) so we will replace it sometime soon.
The 86" is truly enormous though, we'll probably go for a 65".

We have a viewing distance of 4.5m
We upgraded from a 55” to a 65”screen during lockdown 1.

it is ok for most viewing but occasionally when we watch a letterbox film we still think it is a bit small. No way we will be upgrading to 75” I don’t think as it will just look a bit silly

good luck however it pans out

Old High Speed HDMI cables work - this is likely what you have chased in.

• HDMI 1.4 standard: 4K Ultra HD compatible (3840 x 2160 pixels) at 24, 25 and 30 fps, and 3D compatible. Maximum bitrate of 10.2 Gbps.
That's a relief should the worst happen! HDR compatible too as I've heard good things about that.

That's a relief should the worst happen! HDR compatible too as I've heard good things about that.
depending how it's been installed you might get away with tying/taping some string to one end of the old cable, pulling it through with the old cable then use the string to pull a new HDMI 2.1 compatible cable in. Just did this myself, I had installed back boxes behind the screen and at floor level with the brush fronts.

No chance of doing that as they're mounted on to the brick where the chimney breast was and then plastered over. Don't have much room to work with so a stud wall was out of the question and I wanted solid walls anyway with having speakers that back up on the wall.

It would be a chase out and replaster that area if I needed to replace the cables (3 x HDMI & mains lead).

Still using a Panasonic 32" CRT here. A few years ago a mate of mine who used to be in hifi/electronic retail spotted it and had a good chuckle, he couldn't believe his eyes. It was second hand when I bought it, I guesss it's probably late 90s or turn of the century. Still does the job.

By the way, why does everybody have their screen so far up the wall? I want a screen at head height, I don't want to crane my neck upwards. Isn't that uncomfortable?

Reactions: Cav

advertisement

Back