advertisement

Thinking of selling it all, or massive downgrade at least......

In my case, the only necessary factors in the family using the main hifi in the living room are
1) do the "speakers" show up in Spotify connect on their phones, and
2) is there an obvious volume control knob on the amp

As long as this is covered it doesn't matter how many boxes there are.

OTOH, one box that required using a different app and/or understanding a bunch of settings and options would probably be a deal breaker.

Arguably the true super integrated amps are in their first iteration. Of course the implementation is already good, but it's worth postulating how long before it's superceded and more affordable - not long, I'd wager.

Which is to say, if it were me and I were leaning the direction of simplicity and downsizing, I'd invest less - say an m10 - with a view to updating my system not unlike how we do phones.

Unless you have a slick streaming interface the family won’t use it.
I can’t think of a more FAF free interface than a Sonos Amp connected to a quality pair of speakers. Control it from a phone or tablet right from the streaming app. Never need to touch the hardware and you can even put volume limits to prevent accidents.

I can’t think of a more FAF free interface than a Sonos Amp connected to a quality pair of speakers. Control it from a phone or tablet right from the streaming app. Never need to touch the hardware and you can even put volume limits to prevent accidents.
He already has Roon so Sonos probably not required?

You have a really nice set up and probably took a few years to get to this level.

If your not selling it for financial reasons just enjoy it and buy yourself a new vinyl.

... if it were me and I were leaning the direction of simplicity and downsizing, I'd invest less - say an m10 - with a view to updating my system not unlike how we do phones.
Is there any better rationale for keeping the amp/preamp decoupled from the digital sources? Or are so many of us okay with buying something fairly precious and resource intensive, and chucking it all out (even the parts that still work) in several years when only part of it is obsolete? Seems over the top wasteful.

Last edited:
Arguably the true super integrated amps are in their first iteration. Of course the implementation is already good, but it's worth postulating how long before it's superceded and more affordable - not long, I'd wager.

Which is to say, if it were me and I were leaning the direction of simplicity and downsizing, I'd invest less - say an m10 - with a view to updating my system not unlike how we do phones.

NAD's M33, M10 etc are fairly mature topology now. Hypex, ICE etc have been on the market for a relatively long time. Long enough to not be called new technology.

They will evolve further (Purify being an example) but the top products will be at a price level commensurate with performance. No different to Class AB, Class A and whatever else there is. There is always a new/different take on it somewhere.

Looking at Class D amplifiers with streaming technology like mobile phones (which have a 1 year product cycle, on occasions less) is probably not a good idea. A NAD M10 or 33 is a good amplifier now and in 10 years. As long as manufacturers give product software (and sometimes upgradable hardware) support most will be in fairly safe hands imho. Whether that is good enough for the individual largely depends on whether he/she feels the need to have the latest product.

As long as manufacturers give product software (and sometimes upgradable hardware) support most will be in fairly safe hands imho.

And that right there is the problem. How many companies do you trust to provide hardware and software support over the next 10 years? The smaller companies beloved of so many hi-fi enthusiasts rarely have the resources to do that. The larger companies likely do, but in an age of built-in obsolescence where a high percentage of hardware is unrepairable, I have little faith in them to do so. And that's before you start considering software, which is a whole other can of worms.

Treating streamers as mobile phones is exactly what people should be doing, IMO. These days a streamer is just another appliance.

And that right there is the problem. How many companies do you trust to provide hardware and software support over the next 10 years? The smaller companies beloved of so many hi-fi enthusiasts rarely have the resources to do that. The larger companies likely do, but in an age of built-in obsolescence where a high percentage of hardware is unrepairable, I have little faith in them to do so. And that's before you start considering software, which is a whole other can of worms.

Treating streamers as mobile phones is exactly what people should be doing, IMO. These days a streamer is just another appliance.

That's a bit like like preferring a steam engine to an electric car. Things move on but the wheels are still round.

Chromecast has been around for years and still functions. A lot of new products incorporate it. Same with Airplay.

Personally I can't see too many instances where streaming technology has changed in the last few years.

All designed by Bruno Putzeys, a very clever bloke (understatement).
OP now go and arrange a home-demo of his latest speakers and realise that you can indeed have it all.
Yeah it’s either an active speaker and control gubbins or an amp like the NAD M33 and some passive speakers. Going to have a listen to the M33 at home and then hear some speakers.
Slowly slowly...

advertisement

Back