advertisement

Meteors or alien invasion?

If the universe is expanding into black holes at an accelerating rate, wouldn’t the black holes get bigger? Do different black holes come in different sizes? Can a black hole get bigger and smaller?
The more massive the singularity, the bigger the diameter of the event horizon. Theoretically a singularity has zero volume.

The more massive the singularity, the bigger the diameter of the event horizon. Theoretically a singularity has zero volume.
But. There are no singularities as superstring theory has put paid to that because you can never reach zero size. The whole Universe can never be smaller than the size of a superstring with an average diameter of 1.616 255 x 10^-35m give or take a bit.

Good fun no?

DV

But. There are no singularities as superstring theory has put paid to that because you can never reach zero size. The whole Universe can never be smaller than the size of a superstring with an average diameter of 1.616 255 x 10^-35m give or take a bit.

Good fun no?

DV
A theory is a theory is a theory. Often they are mathematical constructs or mirages.

Yes, I get that. But if the universe is expanding into black holes the expansion would be in different directions and if the Big Bang started expansion from a single point how did that expansion turn into black holes?

A theory is a theory is a theory. Often they are mathematical constructs or mirages.
My theory, which is mine, is that, ahem: the universe is a bit like a Brontosaurus because it is thin at one end, fat in the middle, and thin at the other end.

Where has this fantastical notion of the universe expanding into black holes come from?

Yes, I get that. But if the universe is expanding into black holes the expansion would be in different directions and if the Big Bang started expansion from a single point how did that expansion turn into black holes?
I am not aware of any theory that the universe is "expanding into black holes".

expanding into what? Accelerating relative to what?
I’m not sure these concepts have much meaning, in the terms the cosmologists apply. The universe may be expanding into, literally, nothing. Thereby creating something where there was previously nothing. It’s a difficult concept when you come at it from conventional standpoints.

Interesting to note that the ‘edge’ of the expanding universe seems, at some point or other at least, to have travelled faster than the speed of light, because the apparent diameter of the universe in light years exceeds the age of the universe in years. This probably doesn’t break any rules, because the speed of light is a limit for anything travelling within space, but not necessarily for the propagation of space itself.

Don’t serious mathematicians wake up at night screaming thinking about zero?
Why would anyone think that? Zero is only a spacer and not a number. Its to make reading numbers simpler.

1 2 1 4 is what?
1214?
102140?
12014? and so on.

Remember Th H T U from early school? Believe it or not this is fundamental to understanding maths - numbers, powers, logs, number base (popular today are base 10, base 2, base 8 and base 16) and so on. The spacer helps align the numbers in the correct columns.

Cheers,

DV

Why would anyone think that? Zero is only a spacer and not a number. Its to make reading numbers simpler.

1 2 1 4 is what?
1214?
102140?
12014? and so on.

Remember Th H T U from early school? Believe it or not this is fundamental to understanding maths - numbers, powers, logs, number base (popular today are base 10, base 2, base 8 and base 16) and so on. The spacer helps align the numbers in the correct columns.

Cheers,

DV
OK, I seem to remember it being said by someone somewhere, and it striking me as funny, a bit like artists having nightmares about blank pieces of paper, but perhaps my recollection is faulty

advertisement

Back