advertisement

Meteors or alien invasion?

expanding into what? Accelerating relative to what?
You see? We are trapped by our physical 4 dimensional World. We cannot imagine anything else as we only know the physical World.

I see it thus. The physical Universe exists within another World of which we have absolutely no understanding - call it the Spiritual World if you like.

As for your questions maybe watch or read this lecture https://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-and-events/the-accelerating-universe

Cheers,

DV

I think it’s a warning saying don’t send any more Chuck Berry tunes into outer space.
‘...unless you master them properly. They sound dreadful on our advanced trans-galactic audiophile systems - no height to the soundstage at all.’

expanding into what?

Black holes.

It's the easy bit to say that as our understanding of black holes ends where they start.

Black Holes
Don't let the name fool you: a black hole is anything but empty space. Rather, it is a great amount of matter packed into a very small area - think of a star ten times more massive than the Sun squeezed into a sphere approximately the diameter of New York City. The result is a gravitational field so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape. In recent years, NASA instruments have painted a new picture of these strange objects that are, to many, the most fascinating objects in space.

Black holes.

It's the easy bit to say that as our understanding of black holes ends where they start.

Black Holes
Don't let the name fool you: a black hole is anything but empty space. Rather, it is a great amount of matter packed into a very small area - think of a star ten times more massive than the Sun squeezed into a sphere approximately the diameter of New York City. The result is a gravitational field so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape. In recent years, NASA instruments have painted a new picture of these strange objects that are, to many, the most fascinating objects in space.
If the universe is expanding into black holes at an accelerating rate, wouldn’t the black holes get bigger? Do different black holes come in different sizes? Can a black hole get bigger and smaller?

Black holes.

Black Holes
There may be some misunderstanding here. So called 'black holes' are just another object in our Universe. There is a gigantic one at the heart of our own Galaxy and perhaps in all galaxies.

Stephen Hawking theorised that black holes could 'evaporate' via Hawking Radiation. You need a grasp of Quantum Theory but see here for your starter for 10 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

Cheers,

DV

There may be some misunderstanding here. So called 'black holes' are just another object in our Universe. There is a gigantic one at the heart of our own Galaxy and perhaps in all galaxies.

Stephen Hawking theorised that black holes could 'evaporate' via Hawking Radiation. You need a grasp of Quantum Theory but see here for your starter for 10 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

Cheers,

DV
Sagittarius A, the supermassive black hole at the centre of the Milky Way, has a mass of 4 billion suns.
It is thought it is one of a pair at the heart of the galaxy.

What happens if the universe implodes?
???????????????????????????????????????????????
No matter.

(Put this on another suitable thread today so it's a repeat but seems apposite to this thread too),

It's not the universe expanding but a continuum, The World, The Empire, The EU, UK, England, Little England; we're shrinking.

We are born and we die. We have a beginning and an end (leaving aside all the religious stuff).

Most of what we observe, from life on Earth, to stars in the universe..has a finite existence .. even if it is sometimes measured in unimaginable time periods.

Thus.. from a psychological p.o.v. we are conditioned to consider that 'all things must pass'. We cannot really imagine any other scenario... which is why we are constantly looking to define the beginning and end of the universe.. and even to define its dimensional limits. I strongly suspect we are trying to define something way beyond our comprehension.. using our own very primitive understanding.

All of our astrophysics is based on the fundamental assumption that there was a beginning and that therefore there must be an end.

This does not mean I'm arguing for the Steady State Theory.. since the universe is clearly dynamic.

Does anyone recall the optical illusion.. (I can't recall what it is called)..where a room with distorted perspective defeats our own logic? The one where our mind insists that a person is really tall and close to touching the ceiling? The reality of course is that the room is distorted. Apparently this illusion does not work with people who have only ever lived in circular huts.

Just sayin'

You see? We are trapped by our physical 4 dimensional World. We cannot imagine anything else as we only know the physical World.

I see it thus. The physical Universe exists within another World of which we have absolutely no understanding - call it the Spiritual World if you like.

As for your questions maybe watch or read this lecture https://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-and-events/the-accelerating-universe

Cheers,

DV
Many thanks, a good read. It is a fascinating topic and a lecture without equations is a must for numerical dyslexic like me. Sometime ago I created a cartoon character called Quentin the Quantum Mechanic to help me develop my understanding. Quentin mostly lives in a shed at the bottom of the garden

51062097667_ff0a8681b9.jpg

If the universe is expanding, is Quentin and his shed expanding too? If he’s accelerating at the same time, what happens when he reaches the speed of light?

As for a multi dimensional universe, extra dimensions might make the numbers work, but there has to be a physical dimension for those dimensions to operate in. As Quentin himself says “Vos calculs sont corrects, mais vôtre physique est abominable“

Multi universes are an equally problematic solution. If there are an infinite number of universes with infinite possibilities, then there must be a universe in which there is a version on me that is a lot more clever than me who is capable of understanding this stuff. If he’s out there, why doesn’t he send a postcard or something?

Universe's should have holes in to see the other side.
By looking through that aperture would save a considerable ride.

(or mountains).

advertisement

Back