advertisement

ProAc D2R - impressions?

These are a bit above my ideal budget but still very interested. Do you know if proac still make the d2 version with the soft dome tweeter or have the d2r replaced these? I note that the UK website doesn't have the d2r and only has d2
It's my understanding that the D2R did not replace the D2, and that the D2 would still be available alongside the D2R.

My room is 18 x 15, not big enough for D18 unless they were in the middle of the room.

I use the Tablette Anniversary now, a very different kind of speaker. Tonality and imaging are superior, obviously not the same open scale, but not really an issue.
Don’t find any need for a sub, they pack a bigger mid bass punch than the D18.

ATC SMC 11 is a very different speaker, a lot of detail, but gave me a headache.
They sounded broken in comparison, but it depends on system matching, and a huge amount on the room, and your preferences.

Stuart Tyler (Mr Proac) thinks the DB3 to be superior to the Tablette, but I don’t know of anybody who has compared the two.

Yes I used to own the ATC SCM11. Very detailed but thin and light sounding - I prefer something more meaty. Needs a good (powerful) amp too - they sung on the end of a Leema Tucana ii with 150w

For any proac lovers here, I have listed my rosewood S100 speakers in the classifieds. Happy to help with a demo if you’re local to Hertfordshire and interested. Fantastic speakers

For any other ProAc lovers out there .. my lovely maple D38's, shown in my avatar pic, are available.

Without a doubt yes, way too much speaker for a room of that size IMO.

Just had a listen to these today in a listening room smaller than that at an audio shop (my room is about that size). I have loved every ProAc speaker I’ve listened to but these were nauseatingly bassy in an enclosed space.

Concur on the sentiment “without a doubt yes”.

The bass from the D20R would be extremely overwhelming and rather inaccurate if you don't have the space to position them properly. From what I have read (and this alone), the D2Rs are not lacking bass.
Sometimes, when my D20R’s are fully fired up, I hear people walking around upstairs- and I live in a bungalow (listening room 12x12).

How do the D2R's compare with other standmounts ?
Dynaudio Special 40
Roksan Darius S1
Harbeth 30.1
Anyone ?

If I had to choose between the Dynaudio and the D2R, I would go for Dynaudio, and this is Proac fan saying this. Why? The D2R, for me, did not sound evenly balanced. It had a very plummy bass, and yet did not sound solid. The detail is good, it is very smooth, but it just did not engage. Maybe with different electronics or room, it would be better, just one mans opinion.

I would be inclined to hear the Harbeth, as the Dynaudio did not really do it for me either! I prefer the D18 to the S40, the D2R and the D20R, the latter having too much bass for my room.

I prefer the D18 to the S40, the D2R and the D20R, the latter having too much bass for my room.

I would only go with stand mounts if the room is small to medium. Floorstanders usually introduce too much bass or midbass which not only makes the bass sound unnatural but also mask the detail in the rest of the frequency spectrum. It takes a lot of effort to overcome bass issues in the room, mostly adding (a lot of) unsightly bass traps which usually isn't possible in a lounge or living room.

I recently listened to a pair of costly high-end floorstanders at a dealer's showroom about 2 months ago. Even though the room is not exactly small and had bass traps installed in the corners, the bass was too much in that room. The midbass stuck out like a sore thumb and masked the detail in the midrange and treble. The dealer admitted they haven't successfully addressed the room and will be adding more bass traps soon.

If the room is small to medium, I will always favour quality stand mounts to floorstanders, and perhaps add a sub or a pair later on. I currently run a sub with a pair of stand mounts in my smallish room.

Just had a listen to these today in a listening room smaller than that at an audio shop (my room is about that size). I have loved every ProAc speaker I’ve listened to but these were nauseatingly bassy in an enclosed space.

The room is the key factor. Most floorstanders which are designed to be used in free space usually sound like that if placed in small to medium-sized rooms, particularly designs which put out a lot of bass. They need space, large rooms in order to sound good.

I bought the D2R about 18 months ago and continue to be impressed. Very transparent, enough bass, play well quite close to the wall and sound neutral to me. They are good value too. I drive them with a 250DR and use the recommended Atacama stands.
I have a bit of a hankering to play around with a sub to see what it might bring but it doesn't feel necessary and placing a sub in my living room would be awkward (also on the wife front).

I bought the D2R about 18 months ago and continue to be impressed. Very transparent, enough bass, play well quite close to the wall and sound neutral to me. They are good value too. I drive them with a 250DR and use the recommended Atacama stands.
I have a bit of a hankering to play around with a sub to see what it might bring but it doesn't feel necessary and placing a sub in my living room would be awkward (also on the wife front).
D2 + powerful Naim amp = perfect match IMO.
I heard those Proac speakers with a Supernait, then a 250.2 and finally with a 300 and was so impressed I never felt the need for larger speakers or a sub if you don’t push them over their limit.
This was in a room of 16 x 16 feet.

advertisement

Back