advertisement

ProAc D2R - impressions?

The Tablette 10s sound superb in my 12' x 11' room from hell. :)

Thanks - those room dimensions are not too far removed from mine but the speakers will be (unavoidably) in enclosed alcoves. Surprisingly I have never had room issues with speakers I have used but am mindful I don't want to test that theory too far!

I understand that the Tablettes are ideal for this kind of 'non-ideal- environment so they may be a better bet than the D2R's even though the latter are the ones I would really like. How are the Tablettes with Rock, Ambient etc?

Thanks - those room dimensions are not too far removed from mine but the speakers will be (unavoidably) in enclosed alcoves. Surprisingly I have never had room issues with speakers I have used but am mindful I don't want to test that theory too far!

I understand that the Tablettes are ideal for this kind of 'non-ideal- environment so they may be a better bet than the D2R's even though the latter are the ones I would really like. How are the Tablettes with Rock, Ambient etc?

To be honest they are great with everything- they are so much to listen to- rock sounds superb!

I’ve had the Proac Tablette’s 10 for eighteen months from new, I just love them with all types of music, over the years I have tried many different speakers, floor and standmount and imho the tabs are by far the best I have heard in my listening room 12ft-12ft, in fact I am seriously considering upgrading to the Tablette 10 Signature which I believe is a step up again.

I’ve had the Proac Tablette’s 10 for eighteen months from new, I just love them with all types of music, over the years I have tried many different speakers, floor and standmount and imho the tabs are by far the best I have heard in my listening room 12ft-12ft, in fact I am seriously considering upgrading to the Tablette 10 Signature which I believe is a step up again.

Thank you - I know this is always difficult to describe in words but how would you describe their scale and bass? Are they biased towards treble/mids or low frequencies?

I just find them really enjoyable to listen to with all genres of music, lovely rich bass without any hint of boom, very sweet treble and nicely balanced enveloping sound in my room, my system is Naim 140, 102, and hi-cap, Try them in your own environment first if possible though, as what suits one person may not suit another.

I have just done a similar exercise with speakers as I moved house recently. My Proac TR8 sigs boomed quite badly and I could only really get them about 50cm max. from the back wall. I tried the tablette 10s and was just unimpressed which is differs to most peoples opinions on them, for me they just didn't "rock". I ended up with Amphion Argon 3S which have a passive radiator on them so I now get bass but no boom which is great. They not quite as 3D sounding as the TR8's but suit my room better and the bass is quite something for a small speaker. As always with speakers try before you buy.

Very happy D20R owner here. They’re used in my study which is 14ft x 11 ft and fire across the short dimension. Listening is at low level as it’s a work room, not for head banging. Sound quality is excellent – clear, clean, dynamic and balanced. The bass goes really deep with the right music but never too bassy or overwhelming with my Nytech CTA252 amp. The only possible area of concern is that the ribbon tweeter is directional and gives a slightly different sound depending where your ears are positioned. This is as described by Pro-Ac but it’s something I’ve got used to and my desk chair is always in the same place. Some would say that the ribbon is not the best choice for my listening arrangement but I’m happy nevertheless listening to them for 8 or more hours some days.

Very happy D20R owner here. They’re used in my study which is 14ft x 11 ft and fire across the short dimension. Listening is at low level as it’s a work room, not for head banging. Sound quality is excellent – clear, clean, dynamic and balanced. The bass goes really deep with the right music but never too bassy or overwhelming with my Nytech CTA252 amp. The only possible area of concern is that the ribbon tweeter is directional and gives a slightly different sound depending where your ears are positioned. This is as described by Pro-Ac but it’s something I’ve got used to and my desk chair is always in the same place. Some would say that the ribbon is not the best choice for my listening arrangement but I’m happy nevertheless listening to them for 8 or more hours some days.

Thanks - that's quite a small room for D20R's and actually not much larger than mine. Glad to hear they work well for you despite earlier comments that they would probably be too big for mine.

n a 12' x 15' room like mine ATC scm11 work just fine.
DB3 and probably front ported D2R design would be my choice.
I wouldn't think at all bass to be weak, I'd rather be wary of placing bigger floor standings if you do not have free space to place them and a very strong amp to tame them.
In a very small room tablette 10 are warmly recommended.

must amend myself , mine 's smaller than I reported it's barely 13x12

I used to have mine in the middle of a room that was 35ft x 20ft and they sounded superb. I now have them at the end of a room that is 20ft x 16ft. They are still great, but not as good.

Thank you - I know this is always difficult to describe in words but how would you describe their scale and bass? Are they biased towards treble/mids or low frequencies?

If l may jump in here, bass is there ok,:D and it is one of the most 'coherent' and balanced speaker l have had in my den, oh and scale and dynamics are out of all proportion to the speaker's size.

Just been reading the ProAc catalogue that I picked up at the Bristol show and it’s interesting to compare the D2R and D20R. They look near enough identical including the drive units except for size/configuration: the D2R is on a stand with front port loading while the D20R is floor standing with porting down through the cabinet and out the bottom. The prices are similar too until you add in the cost of stands for the D2R (I believe they’re extra cost) in which case the D2R becomes more expensive

How noticeable is the directional issue with the ribbon tweeters? I am interested in the d2r and that could be a concern in my room.

How noticeable is the directional issue with the ribbon tweeters? I am interested in the d2r and that could be a concern in my room.
How much you notice it will depend on how close you sit to the speakers, how much you move your head while listening and how sensitive you are to it. I sit at a desk about 2m from them and on a minority of music can hear the sound change slightly when I move my head. Now I’m used to it, it doesn’t bother me and I really appreciate the other strengths of the D20R such as the deep bass. It’s one of those occasions when you have to listen for yourself. The sound doesn't change if you keep your head still.

There’s always the D2 and D20 variants with a dome tweeter instead of the ribbon if you’re concerned.

How much you notice it will depend on how close you sit to the speakers, how much you move your head while listening and how sensitive you are to it. I sit at a desk about 2m from them and on a minority of music can hear the sound change slightly when I move my head. Now I’m used to it, it doesn’t bother me and I really appreciate the other strengths of the D20R such as the deep bass. It’s one of those occasions when you have to listen for yourself. The sound doesn't change if you keep your head still.

There’s always the D2 and D20 variants with a dome tweeter instead of the ribbon if you’re concerned.

Thanks yes, I am considering the response d2 plus d2r and will hopefully demo along with some others when everything calms down.

I think the ribbon tweeter on the D20R is superb. The treble is more delicate & subtle than the dome tweeter but it takes quite a long time for it to run in. It is a good step up from the D18 which I owned previously. But I also like my Tablette Anniversary with dome tweeters - although I use them with a sub-woofer.
Best thing is to take your time when deciding between ribbon & dome.

I’ve owned the D2R for just a little over 6 weeks. I will say that the sound improved quite a bit over the first few weeks, so break-in does matter with these. I’m using mine on very heavy 4-post Sound Anchor stands, driven by a Cambridge Edge A integrated amp and Bluesound Node 2i connected to the Chord Qutest DAC. I use Audioquest Type 8 biwire speaker cable. These have a very insightful treble and midrange - very lively with good detail, but no stridency. The best part of this is that the ribbon integrates so well with that SEAS woofer. I’ve heard other ribbon tweeter speakers that have great treble purity snd transparency, but the treble stands on a shelf separated from the rest of the music. No so with the ProAc! I also like the fact that the bass has some impact and depth which is impressive for the size of the box. But most importantly, the midrange has tonal body and warmth which make these so listenable. They image well with vocals locked in a beautiful center image demonstrating great presence. For me, specs are great to look st on a chart, but what matters is whether music is conveyed in a way that makes you want to listen for hours on end. These ProAc D2R speakers have that quality in spades.

I was looking at these a while ago but couldn't get a demo arranged before the lockdown. I ended up buying Dynaudio Special Fortys but there's a part of me still wishing I'd waited and heard the ProAcs before pulling the trigger.

These are a bit above my ideal budget but still very interested. Do you know if proac still make the d2 version with the soft dome tweeter or have the d2r replaced these? I note that the UK website doesn't have the d2r and only has d2

advertisement

Back