advertisement

ProAc D2R - impressions?

These are on my list of next speakers also so I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of anyone who has or has heard them.

I was reading about these last night also, keen to hear any views on these. My current short list is harbeth c7es-3, b&w 705 s2, spendor A4 and possibly these.

The treble is VERY pure. It almost sounds recessed or like there’s something missing, which is probably just the tizz we’re used to hearing with most domes. It’s quite addictive.

Bass is a tiny bit ‘porty’ and there’s a sense of an ever so slight boxyiness at times but that’s maybe unfair comment. Like they’re trying to get a little bit much out of the bass driver.

Medium scale presentation that won’t go massively loud so wouldn’t consider them for a big space.

Lasting impressions are of a beautiful purity which is very nice.

As a very happy owner of a pair of D20Rs, I'm also interested to hear these for a smaller room in my house.

The d20r has a more fullsome, deeper, thicker presentation. The d2r has a lighter, more intimate voice with the midrange magic a standmount gives and better imaging. I found it more engaging than the d20r but very different bass output. d20r is probably the better balanced speaker but the d2r is very seductive.

The d20r has a more fullsome, deeper, thicker presentation. The d2r has a lighter, more intimate voice with the midrange magic a standmount gives and better imaging. I found it more engaging than the d20r but very different bass output. d20r is probably the better balanced speaker but the d2r is very seductive.

Thanks - my fear is that I'd miss the bass from the D20R if I went for the D2R but I guess you can't have everything (unless I add a sub which I don't want to do).

Thanks - my fear is that I'd miss the bass from the D20R if I went for the D2R but I guess you can't have everything (unless I add a sub which I don't want to do).
The bass from the D20R would be extremely overwhelming and rather inaccurate if you don't have the space to position them properly. From what I have read (and this alone), the D2Rs are not lacking bass.

I bought a pair of D20R a few years ago & considered keeping my D18's in a room which is 10ft x 7ft. The bass was dreadfully bloated due to the speakers being in the corners whereas they had previously been in a much bigger room where they had been 2ft+ from the walls.
In my small room I now have a pair of Spendor A5R which are a sealed box & produce quite decent bass. They were discontinued a few years ago but Moorgate at Sheffield were selling them off at a discount of £700 - you could ask if they still have a pair or go secondhand.

Alternatively you could go for the D2R & if short of bass add a sub-woofer. I have a pair of Tablette Anniversary with an old Castle sub-woofer & they perform very well together. The bass from the sub is better than my D20Rs. I think I looked at the D2R when I bought my Tablettes but in my seating position I was staring straight down the front port so did not have a good listen - but if you keep the covers on you would overcome that problem.

Best thing is try & get a home demo as it is the only way to properly judge what they can do in your room.

Thanks for this Johnjo, and the others who've chipped in with their views.

Sounds like the D2R merits serious consideration for anyone looking for a high quality standmount.

Cheers!

In a 12' x 15' room like mine ATC scm11 work just fine.
DB3 and probably front ported D2R design would be my choice.
I wouldn't think at all bass to be weak, I'd rather be wary of placing bigger floor standings if you do not have free space to place them and a very strong amp to tame them.
In a very small room tablette 10 are warmly recommended.

In a 12' x 15' room like mine ATC scm11 work just fine.
DB3 and probably front ported D2R design would be my choice.
I wouldn't think at all bass to be weak, I'd rather be wary of placing bigger floor standings if you do not have free space to place them and a very strong amp to tame them.
In a very small room tablette 10 are warmly recommended.
How about in room 18' x 16' x 10'?

In a medium room like that theoroically you shouldn't have any issue at all even with floorstanders, caveats being the usual suspects; i.e. room response and placement

I had D2's (non-R) in a 15 x 13 x 8.5 room, firing down the length. Found they needed some distance from the walls or too boomy. 3 feet or so. Superb speakers though, loved 'em. Haven't heard the R ones.

The dedicated (Atacama) stands also seemed to help too - at least compared to the cheapish generic ones they replaced. Was really quite surprised how they opened up the sound, especially bass response.

advertisement

Back