advertisement

Car Tuning Boxes

Much of my work for the last 35 years has been analysing and improving performance and emission capability on engine test beds and certified chassis dynos. I wrote a big response to a lot of the information being presented here but stupidly managed to lose it somehow. So I'll keep it short: Kris is on the right track.

Reactions: jay
62 plate M135i max output 415 BHP from stock 320, map was selectable via steering wheel controls so could go custom map to stock within 10 secs

JUut how wayward was that on a wet B road. Or any deviation from dead-ahead , for that matter??!!

I guess it's not that bad these days what with so many cars being over tyred straight from the factory. Going from 200bhp to 330 on a set of 205 section 15s was fun back in the day, and none of this fancy electric magic to save you, just your right foot and bollocks!

I think the 135 is known for being easy to provoke at the rear, and perhaps not as well resolved at the back end as it could be. Well that’s what happens when I punt my mate’s boggo one around! At415hp I think it could well be to the far right of the lunatic fringe on standard suspension and diff

From memory the extra grunt wasn’t fully accessible in the lower gears, certainly easy to wheel spin in 3rd and 4th in dry but colder conditions

I’ll see if I can dig out the Dyno

same guys are saying the s55 is tuneable up to 450 with a good engine, more for the newer electronic wastegate engines

I think the 135 is known for being easy to provoke at the rear, and perhaps not as well resolved at the back end as it could be. Well that’s what happens when I punt my mate’s boggo one around! At415hp I think it could well be to the far right of the lunatic fringe on standard suspension and diff
I found my M135i very loose at the back, the 140 is much better although it’s still easy to make it move around under full beans in the dry. In the wet, it’s hopeless.

I fancy a 240 , I’m just not sure I want to commit to the fuel. Although the 240 is booted so not so practical but said to be the better handler . First world problems etc...

I had a golf r estate after the 135 on lease for 18 months, I’d take a manual hopeless car with some low down grunt over a PlayStation any day :)

not slating the golf totally but it was getting tedious having to rev the nuts off it to have some fun

Sounds like high time I strapped on a tunebox in my 335i F31. I'm certain that 225kW/400Nm is waaaaaaay below what I should be getting from a 3L I6 turbo-petrol.

What do the other N55-engined drivers use?

During the lockdown, thoughts eventually turned, as they do, to the possible benefits of fitting one of those fancy tuning boxes to our Porsche Macan diesel. Doing the usual research, it did appear to benefit performance and possibly fuel consumption too. <snip>
Yesterday was the first opportunity to test it on a long run, and during our 300 mile trek up to Keswick in the Lake District (yippee!) it performed faultlessly. Up until now, the best mpg I could manage on a long journey was 38 mpg, but yesterday, astonishingly, we got 45mpg! Average speed 68mph so I wasn't hanging around. I confess to being most impressed by this, and I'm rather baffled by how this device works so well.

Emissions controls, particularly the control of the most noxious exhaust products (Nitrogen Oxides), reduce engine power output and fuel economy. Your chip defeats these emission controls in order to allow the engine to run more efficiently.

It won't damage the engine, but now you know why it works.

Much of my work for the last 35 years has been analysing and improving performance and emission capability on engine test beds and certified chassis dynos. I wrote a big response to a lot of the information being presented here but stupidly managed to lose it somehow. So I'll keep it short: Kris is on the right track.
Interesting, I'd not factored in the emissions controls, and had always understood the 'manufacturer factoring in issues of fuel quality' argument to be the nub of it.

The implication, though, is that by circumventing emissions controls, you are doing environmental damage, which is true enough. However, I don't think it is that simple. All vehicles using combustion engines do environmental damage, but this way you at least have a choice about what damage you do. NOx emissions are harmful, but they are also short-lived and degrade into other (arguably also harmful, but also not very persistent) products. Ultimately, they will probably contribute nitrates, of one form or another, to the soil. They also confine their harm to largely local effects. Whereas CO2 emissions are incredibly persistent (best estimates are that CO2 lingers for c100 years), and are doing vast damage to the entire planet.

Faced with a choice between emitting more NOx, and less CO2, I think I'd go with emitting the NOx. Tony's admittedly anecdotal account suggests CO2 reduction on the order of 20%. Taken globally, that would be a stunning outcome. And to think you also get a more driveable vehicle as well...

Birds is close to me and I have spoken to them. I think they do a full remap, not a tunebox. I think the JB4 gets you to around 400ps on the N55. More if you look at other complimentary mods like exhaust and inlet, E85 etc https://burgertuning.com/products/f-series-n55-bmw-jb4

Yes. You get a proper job for your money with Birds and ISTR they warrant the work.

Oh and for some of the mods, it qualifies for you to legitimately put his badge on the back:
fetch

Interesting, I'd not factored in the emissions controls, and had always understood the 'manufacturer factoring in issues of fuel quality' argument to be the nub of it.

The implication, though, is that by circumventing emissions controls, you are doing environmental damage, which is true enough. However, I don't think it is that simple. All vehicles using combustion engines do environmental damage, but this way you at least have a choice about what damage you do. NOx emissions are harmful, but they are also short-lived and degrade into other (arguably also harmful, but also not very persistent) products. Ultimately, they will probably contribute nitrates, of one form or another, to the soil. They also confine their harm to largely local effects. Whereas CO2 emissions are incredibly persistent (best estimates are that CO2 lingers for c100 years), and are doing vast damage to the entire planet.

Faced with a choice between emitting more NOx, and less CO2, I think I'd go with emitting the NOx. Tony's admittedly anecdotal account suggests CO2 reduction on the order of 20%. Taken globally, that would be a stunning outcome. And to think you also get a more driveable vehicle as well...

There's a lot to be said for that and it is a balancing act between real deaths now and tomorrow: https://theicct.org/news/health-impacts-transport-sector-pr-20190227

Glad you like your tuning box Tony and hope you are having a great time in Keswick.

Remapping diesels makes a worthwhile difference from my experience. My 535D Touring has 345bhp now and 510lb, up from 286bhp/428lb as standard. I don’t rag the car but it has made it feel more effortless and mpg is unchanged at 40mpg in the last 15,000 miles. I often see over 50mpg on a run, amazing given the cars weight and auto box.

advertisement

Back