advertisement

Car Tuning Boxes

That’s what I liked about the Bluefin from Superchips. You can add or remove the mapping as often as you like. A 10 minute job for either and no wires anywhere.

But the cars that it could be used on was quite limited, I seem to remember.

Bluefin was great and easy to use. Ford can tell though when something has been plugged in and ECU parameters changed whether you remove it or not so if something goes wrong in warranty you're stuffed.

One of the first things VW dealers do now with a car that's in for service is to check whether the ECU has recorded a higher turbo boost reading than expected. If so, engine warranty is void.

I'll edit to add: they check a few parameters, and if together they shout out "Remap!" then the engine and maybe transmission are out of warranty.

OK, I know it's yet another car thread, but it's of crucial importance, like all threads about cars!

During the lockdown, thoughts eventually turned, as they do, to the possible benefits of fitting one of those fancy tuning boxes to our Porsche Macan diesel. Doing the usual research, it did appear to benefit performance and possibly fuel consumption too. On the basis that I could try one and if I wasn't a happy bunny with it, get my money back, I decided to take the plunge.

I settled on the TDUK box, on the basis of good reviews and the fact it used more sensors than the alternatives (Mummy always taught me you could never have too many sensors). It was a right old fiddle to fit, as two of the sensors I needed to get at were buried below several convoluted layers of wiring and pipework, and the plugs were secured with downright stupid connector things.

Anyway, despite my fumbling the device lit its lights correctly & I could set it with a rather smart app. on the iPhone. I left it on its standard setting, and the car definitely felt livelier, with no noticeable hiccups. Yesterday was the first opportunity to test it on a long run, and during our 300 mile trek up to Keswick in the Lake District (yippee!) it performed faultlessly. Up until now, the best mpg I could manage on a long journey was 38 mpg, but yesterday, astonishingly, we got 45mpg! Average speed 68mph so I wasn't hanging around. I confess to being most impressed by this, and I'm rather baffled by how this device works so well. Incidentally, the dreaded call to my insurance company resulted in a bill of...an extra £8.
You’ve been possessed by Peter Belt and I claim my three silver paper triangles.

I went for a custom remap on my Nissan GTR (R35).

I cost £1200 for a very reputable tuner (Litchfield). The remap also included a milltek y pipe and the removal of 2 catalysts.

So £1200 I think was good value.

485 bhp to 585 bhp and a mountain more torque. It really woke up the engine and increased mpg by 2mpg.

My VW Arteon is due to come out of warranty soon so mulling over a remap again.

And there we have yet another car I’ve never heard of. Forty years ago I knew almost every car model that had been sold in Britain...
Was it the Daily Express that used to publish an annual supplement in the late 60s/70s with every model sold in Britain? I committed every one to memory as a small boy. There were a few real exotics in there. Now I haven’t a clue- there are so many horse plop on a roller skate items with added plastic bits on the road now.

One of the first things VW dealers do now with a car that's in for service is to check whether the ECU has recorded a higher turbo boost reading than expected. If so, engine warranty is void.

I'll edit to add: they check a few parameters, and if together they shout out "Remap!" then the engine and maybe transmission are out of warranty.
I paid £850 for a service on my then 90k 2012 Golf 1.6tdi last year at the local main dealer ( it needed new discs, callipers etc) and I asked the girl on reception who was utterly clueless if they’d run diagnostics on it, which I assumed was routine and she said no we don’t do that but we can add it on if you want, it’ll be £100!
I asked as I was going to a recommended remapper following a discussion on these threads. As it turned out the workshop made two failed attempts over a total of five hours on separate days to do the install. Apparently the cpu board in my 2012 car was an oddity and he couldn’t crack it, so I never got to unleash the beast within...

A 2012 car is obviously well out of warranty so they’d have no interest in whether it was remapped.

I was quite tempted by this when my warranty is up

lighter

lighter

A 2012 car is obviously well out of warranty so they’d have no interest in whether it was remapped.
It’s also unkillable. I was going to flog it ( a friend needs something for his 17 year old twins to learn in instead of his Golf R, RS3 or A6 Avant 3.0 for obvious reasons but it’s an automatic) Im going to get a C Class estate this week but I’m now thinking about keeping it for a bit- I’ve not had a rear wheel drive car for 15 years and I can remember both a clk and a Lexus before it that never made it out of the driveway when there was snow.

I'm rather baffled by how this device works so well.
Emissions controls, particularly the control of the most noxious exhaust products (Nitrogen Oxides), reduce engine power output and fuel economy. Your chip defeats these emission controls in order to allow the engine to run more efficiently.

It won't damage the engine, but now you know why it works.

advertisement

Back