advertisement

‘Cult’ artists that are good & the opposite

Born in the USA, Tunnel of Love, Ghost of Tom Joad are all post 1980. They are up there with his very best. I do disagree & think it’s nonsense;)
OK, you think he’s been overrated for only 25 years and I say 40. Fair enough. Tell you what, if he formed a band with the three talented ones from Talking Heads, he’d probably be unstoppable!

I never could be doing with Springsteen. There was that Manfred Mann cover of one of his songs (Blinded by the Light) with unintelligible lyrics, something like 'round up like a juicer another runner in the night' or something. Anyway, he was annoying.

I never could be doing with Springsteen. There was that Manfred Mann cover of one of his songs (Blinded by the Light) with unintelligible lyrics, something like 'round up like a juicer another runner in the night' or something. Anyway, he was annoying.
And there was something about ‘the adolescent pumps his way into his hat’ which was a bit of a head-scratcher. I did like albums 2-5 though. And I saw him at Hammersmith in 1975 (very small print: But not the famous concert, the second one)

Same here Brucie just does nothing for me. I think I have some of his albums on hard drive. Never tempted to play them. Lots love him but I never got the attraction.

OK, you think he’s been overrated for only 25 years and I say 40. Fair enough. Tell you what, if he formed a band with the three talented ones from Talking Heads, he’d probably be unstoppable!

:D Thought that had to be giving you a bit of an itch considering you know all the bad lyrics to the first three albums

Tunnel of Love was out in 1987 Ghost of Tom Joad is 1995 so...

I actually think some of his more recent releases are rather good but not up with his very best.

I don’t think he needs to join up with anyone but a nice idea.

Why not the first? That and the second are by far the best IMO. I really like the ‘70s groove to those two, all way before he started to do the stadium rock thing.
I think it was the sub-Dylan lyrics, mainly. Examples quoted above - and another about a teenage diplomat with the mumps has just come to mind (probably brought on by working too hard, too young.)

I have to admit I tend not to notice lyrics too much. They are just noise unless they really jump out. I just like the slightly shambolic almost funk groove/feel of the first two albums, and that was swiftly lost when he moved over to (pretty much invented I guess) stadium rock.

I have to admit I tend not to notice lyrics too much. They are just noise unless they really jump out. I just like the slightly shambolic almost funk groove/feel of the first two albums, and that was swiftly lost when he moved over to (pretty much invented I guess) stadium rock.
I agree about the second album, it is terrific. And I agree about the move towards stadium rock - which is why I put my cut-off at The River. I have to say the (non-famous) Hammersmith 1975 concert is is my top five.

You don’t have to like him, I do. Lyrically, he can be excellent but also the opposite. Nebraska is an interesting record, pretty much a demo, no histrionics but rather good IMHO.

Why not the first? That and the second are by far the best IMO. I really like the ‘70s groove to those two, all way before he started to do the stadium rock thing.
Very few artists have 5 really good records, I think he has more than that but even so.

I think it was the sub-Dylan lyrics, mainly. Examples quoted above - and another about a teenage diplomat with the mumps has just come to mind (probably brought on by working too hard, too young.)

The 'new Dylan' tag really weighed him down at first, especially as he was on CBS, but his early lyrics were toe-curlingly awful. Loudon Wainwright III had the same issue with the 'new Dylan' thing, but he was a much better songwriter than Springsteen.

advertisement

Back