advertisement

Edward Colston: Bristol slave trader statue 'was an affront'

Nazi salutes whilst pretending to be there for some sort of statue vigil is particularly perplexing.

I'm so glad the BLM protests didn't go ahead, leaving these people to their own devices.

I'd bet a considerable amount that the Government's comments are not as severe as they were last week, and I bet Johnson doesn't do another 8 tweet Trumpian rant about it. These are his people.

Nazi salutes whilst pretending to be there for some sort of statue vigil is particularly perplexing.

I'm so glad the BLM protests didn't go ahead, leaving these people to their own devices.

I'd bet a considerable amount that the Government's comments are not as severe as they were last week, and I bet Johnson doesn't do another 8 tweet Trumpian rant about it. These are his people.
It’s only because the statues are covered. If they could be seen, their educational value would be unleashed, and these well meaning but ignorant young men would become aware of their unfortunate mistake.

A pathetically limp response from Starmer. No mention of the far-right, no mention of fascists, just “mumble mumble police mumble mumble” Full comment here (Twitter).

For contrast...

Layla Moran: “The far-right thugs that shame our society are literally causing chaos on your doorstep @BorisJohnson - where are you? our country deserves leadership and not to be held to ransom by those seeking division.” (Twitter).

Caroline Lucas: “Boris Johnson says removing statues is “to lie about our history” and “They had different perspectives, different understandings of right and wrong” Who is “they”? Pretty sure people who were enslaved knew it was wrong” (Twitter).

Anyone spot why I’m not a Labour voter?!

A pathetically limp response from Starmer. No mention of the far-right, no mention of fascists, just “mumble mumble police mumble mumble” Full comment here (Twitter).

For contrast...

Layla Moran: “The far-right thugs that shame our society are literally causing chaos on your doorstep @BorisJohnson - where are you? our country deserves leadership and not to be held to ransom by those seeking division.” (Twitter).

Caroline Lucas: “Boris Johnson says removing statues is “to lie about our history” and “They had different perspectives, different understandings of right and wrong” Who is “they”? Pretty sure people who were enslaved knew it was wrong” (Twitter).

It's because you're a starry-eyed idealist with no idea how politics works in the real world?

I'm joking of course. Yes, Starmer and his team are trying to triangulate a situation involving courageous young black activists on the one hand and literal Nazis pissing on dead coppers' memorials on the other. This is because they are very clever. They are avoiding traps set for them by Boris Johnson. They are instead offering practical solutions to racism.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ar-trap-seems-designed-for-corbyn-not-starmer

If you want an insight into how these people think, and the kind of opposition you can expect for the next 5 years, I strongly recommend reading the above article, which praises Starmer for not coming out against racism. Black voters do not count to these people. Like, at all.

For contrast...

You base your political opinion on the latest twitter feed? We all know you don't vote Labour and your continual boasting about it is very tedious.

I base my opinion on how parties react to real-world events and the issues that concern me rather than blind tradition/repetition.

It's because you're a starry-eyed idealist with no idea how politics works in the real world?

I'm joking of course. Yes, Starmer and his team are trying to triangulate a situation involving courageous young black activists on the one hand and literal Nazis pissing on dead coppers' memorials on the other. This is because they are very clever. They are avoiding traps set for them by Boris Johnson. They are instead offering practical solutions to racism.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ar-trap-seems-designed-for-corbyn-not-starmer

If you want an insight into how these people think, and the kind of opposition you can expect for the next 5 years, I strongly recommend reading the above article, which praises Starmer for not coming out against racism. Black voters do not count to these people. Like, at all.

I think he is doing fine. He has to be careful and if you read all his comments and listen to the totality of his interviews he is saying what I think are the right things. But after looking at todays stuff no matter how good he is if 30-40% are in the pockets of the Tories regardless he has a big struggle to win. Lucas can rant as much as she wants as that is as close as she will get to having a sense of power

advertisement

Back