advertisement

The (almost) bi-polar nature of Naim's products and customers . . .

I started my system off with a Pioneer Precision R Amp, and an Arcam Alpha 8 CD player.
I got into the Naim Path about 10 years ago after trying several different other pieces of equipment.

What I like about the Naim ethos is that you can gradually build the system to how you want it to sound, starting at the bottom and working your way up as you have the ability to do so. Also I like the fact that there is plenty of info about what pre/power amps work well together and the fact you can add Power supplies if you want an extra upgrade.

I also run some Naim Credo speakers which I was looking to change for something else but as I have upgraded other components the improvement with each stage has put a slightly bigger smile on my face. I listen to albums I've listened to for years and have heard new or improved sounds to them.

I am not a Naim biased person and by no means is it the only way to go, as I've heard other friends of mine's systems which sound amazing but I do like the fact that Naim has a pathway you can follow.

While I'm not anti Naim it's partially this ethos that put me off their electronics, to my mind it implies the product wasn't well designed in the first place if it needs an upgrade to sound its best or it's deliberate design decision to keep the customer coming back and spending more, but granted, it's probably one of the cleverest and most successful audio electronics marketing 'ethos' of the past 40 years.

I certainly get your point, but I suppose the same goes for a lot of things - once you buy Apple, people only stick with it and they hook you in because it all works well together.
All very clever people.

While I'm not anti Naim it's partially this ethos that put me off their electronics, to my mind it implies the product wasn't well designed in the first place if it needs an upgrade to sound its best or it's deliberate design decision to keep the customer coming back and spending more, but granted, it's probably one of the cleverest and most successful audio electronics marketing 'ethos' of the past 40 years.

I always thought that about Naim as a user of it.Left on 42.5 - Hicap - 250 level in 1990 for Bryston gear.
I have dipped into their forum over the years for a read and something which has struck me is the setup of it.Something which no one has mentioned in this thread but is relevant to the original thread title.
I can't believe that cables have to be massaged - Racks have this ideal stacking order.
I once read a post and some guy said that he could hear a difference by moving his preamp by 2 mm on equipment stand....just insane.
Also transformers audibly humming and the attitude by posters was these are specially selected transformers by Naim and just put up with it.....how much is a 500 DR poweramp 21 K....great I'd be very happy - not - if I had paid that sort of money.

I once read a post and some guy said that he could hear a difference by moving his preamp by 2 mm on equipment stand....just insane.
I have not followed all of his excursions, but the exorbitant OCD nature of that guy reminds me of a lonely attention seeking individual that wishes to hide behind a mysterious moniker. In blind faith it would appear that the cult leader has materialised an army of believers that are willing to sacrifce their lives in order to protect his doctrine in recompense for admission into his exclusive club.

Some of us are perhaps fortunate as human beings to be limited by auralic sensitivity rather than being plagued by the incessant mating rituals of frogs from two miles away.

I have not followed all of his excursions, but the exorbitant OCD nature of that guy reminds me of a lonely attention seeking individual that wishes to hide behind a mysterious moniker. In blind faith it would appear that the cult leader has materialised an army of believers that are willing to sacrifce their lives in order to protect his doctrine in recompense for admission into his exclusive club.

Some of us are perhaps fortunate as human beings to be limited by auralic sensitivity rather than being plagued by the incessant mating rituals of frogs from two miles away.

I can’t think of anything erudite or witty to say so I’ll speak my mind.

that’s awful, long winded, self aggrandising crap. Give it a rest FFS.

.sjb

It's very clever marketing and you are 100% correct. I spent around 20 years with Linn's never ending up-grade. The initial first step is good then it gets better and better. However I got really fed up with it burning a hole in the pocket.

I use to own a Naim system and can never forget the utter physical akwardness of the Naim own Speaker cables. Seriously one can possibly use it as towing connector for caravans to a car!

I use to own a Naim system and can never forget the utter physical akwardness of the Naim own Speaker cables. Seriously one can possibly use it as towing connector for caravans to a car!

My late mother sold the family caravan decades ago, otherwise I would try it. I don’t know who makes NACA5, but NACA4 was made by BICC, for lighting wiring for both the Military (source: Chris-BigLebowski) and for “travelling fairgrounds” (source: BICCs catalogue).

Quality over quantity dear SW.

A fair and “well made“ point. :)

I’m sure we are all looking forward to reading some “quality” rhetoric. :)

While waiting I will give some attention to stroking pussy.....in this case Jacou Pixie Pardo, (Tortie Burmese) who has just rocked up and is demanding attention. Please excuse me for the duration of the kitty-appeasement exercise.

A fair and “well made“ point. :)

While waiting I will give some attention to stroking pussy.....in this case Jacou Pixie Pardo, (Tortie Burmese) who has just rocked up and is demanding attention. Please excuse me for the duration of the kitty-appeasement exercise.
Please tend to feline advancement; I shall not forsake your enduring pleasure. Indulge in the moment and sweet wishes to you :)

There's no pussy footin' around on this thread. It's the cat's whiskers.

I suppose it doesn't ramble on for scores of pages like some of the others you find.

“Ramble on
And now's the time, the time is now
To sing my song
I'm goin' 'round the world, I got to find my girl
On my way
I've been this way ten years to the day
Ramble on
Gotta find the queen of all my dreams“

advertisement

Back