advertisement

The (almost) bi-polar nature of Naim's products and customers . . .

The Naim thing is possibly music oriented. If I put some Jazz Funk Fusion on my turntable it really rocks my cheap old Wharfedales.
I can see the case for a little more neutrality with other types of music. (And speakers).
So I feel a but schizoid, in the twenty first century, about the Naim versus not on your life Naim debate.

The Naim thing is possibly music oriented. If I put some Jazz Funk Fusion on my turntable it really rocks my cheap old Wharfedales.
I can see the case for a little more neutrality with other types of music. (And speakers).
So I feel a but schizoid, in the twenty first century, about the Naim versus not on your life Naim debate.

I see what you did there. :cool:

220px-In_the_Court_of_the_Crimson_King_-_40th_Anniversary_Box_Set_-_Front_cover.jpeg

Yeah, I'm bored now.....I've booked our next delivery slot from "A well known Supermarket", and I'm out. Byee.
It's amusing to read that you have stated that "I'm out. Byee." but you have continued to return to this thread. Please make up your mind.

My apologies to Bob (the OP) for any undue thread drift, but taking into consideration that this thread is referring to Naim and the bi-polar nature of Naim's products and customers, has anyone else noticed that the Naim forum has simmered down to a nanny state that borders upon totalitarianism; a place that does not tolerate differing opinions? The moderators appear to yield a magic wand of censorship under the idealised notion of a utopia; I have respect for Tony L for allowing discussion to continue without undue pruning of what could be considered unsightly.

Quite a few makers run a forum where they ‘discourage’ negative comment. That’s not really a surprise is it? Surely that is exactly why threads about the products from those makers tend towards the negative during a free discussion such as that found here. Where else can those who dislike a product express their views?

The thread should be entitled the(slmost) bipolar nature of hifi enthusiasts surely?
The valve guys vs the ss guys
The subjectivists vs the objectivists
The cable believers and the non-believers
The bits is bits brigade vs people who use their ears...

It's amusing to read that you have stated that "I'm out. Byee." but you have continued to return to this thread. Please make up your mind.
He has. The thing is that he's got his shopping in now. That's all. Meanwhile i have to tough it out till Friday, the decent beer has run out and so have the sausages. It's the end of days, I tell you.

He has. The thing is that he's got his shopping in now. That's all. Meanwhile i have to tough it out till Friday, the decent beer has run out and so have the sausages. It's the end of days, I tell you.

Indeed, that fine supermarket (whose name begins with T) enables the next batch of deliveries at midnight, so one has to hang around until one can book the next slot, throw in a few essentials - gin, beer, Sugar Puffs, etc, checkout, and “Robert’s yer mother’s brother”.

For the beer, have you tried online? Stroud Brewery, Red Cat in Winchester are two we’ve used in the past, and we’ve recently received a case of Piddle.

For the beer, have you tried online? Stroud Brewery, Red Cat in Winchester are two we’ve used in the past, and we’ve recently received a case of Piddle.
I have a Bargain Booze at the end of the street, a One Stop a further 50 yards down, and I stock up on the basics every 2 weeks at Aldi a mile away. It's just that I try to stay off the pop in the week, I had a mate round for some garden drinking at the weekend and we saw off most of it. If I don't have it I won't go to the fridge "just to have the one".

Human nature is indeed an intricate web; woven from multiple strands to accentuate the whole. An innate magnetism of attraction through documented dives into delusional sycophancy. Seeking no attention elsewhwere; a lonely single man/woman; a person that receives no recognition from elsewhere stands proud as a keyboard warrior hidden behind an aura of mystery. For example, cable burn in is a strange phenomenon; a person may show preliminary moments of elation with the purchase of a new cable, only to revert to a state of displeasure due to the 'harsh' reality of burn in. There have been numerous instances of people venting their frustration over the untenable association; a settling in period that apparently requires months of metaphysical changes at the atomic level. Subjectivity is subjectivity; the mood of a meandering river; ever changing due to the currents that flow within.

I suppose it would be somewhat immature of me to comment that my wife & I shared a Cocky* yesterday afternoon. It was very pleasant.

* another from Piddle.

Last edited:
I started my system off with a Pioneer Precision R Amp, and an Arcam Alpha 8 CD player.
I got into the Naim Path about 10 years ago after trying several different other pieces of equipment.

What I like about the Naim ethos is that you can gradually build the system to how you want it to sound, starting at the bottom and working your way up as you have the ability to do so. Also I like the fact that there is plenty of info about what pre/power amps work well together and the fact you can add Power supplies if you want an extra upgrade.

I also run some Naim Credo speakers which I was looking to change for something else but as I have upgraded other components the improvement with each stage has put a slightly bigger smile on my face. I listen to albums I've listened to for years and have heard new or improved sounds to them.

I am not a Naim biased person and by no means is it the only way to go, as I've heard other friends of mine's systems which sound amazing but I do like the fact that Naim has a pathway you can follow.

advertisement

Back