advertisement

Brexit next week: give me a positive effect it will have on my daily life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched some of the EU first session back after Brexit, on youtube, the RO Ireland gang were wanting to relax the 3% spending limit. They had the tone of the Brexit party.
Yes that would be our far left parties. Sure the EU will have to move on that to facilitate Sinn Feins election manifesto. 24B extra to be spent with no tax increases. Property tax to go. Only the very rich above 100k are going to be targeted for a 'little' bit more. Fun times ahead unless FG/FF with Labour or the Greens realise PR is now working as it was meant to.

Yes that would be our far left parties. Sure the EU will have to move on that to facilitate Sinn Feins election manifesto. 24B extra to be spent with no tax increases. Property tax to go. Only the very rich above 100k are going to be targeted for a 'little' bit more. Fun times ahead unless FG/FF with Labour or the Greens realise PR is now working as it was meant to.
With 50% of the tax take paying off present interest, fun times indeed.

Exactly, FG get no credit for what they have managed given the mess we were and are still in, but sure we will get a complete write down on that. No loans to be repaid but sure no matter companies will still invest in good auld Ireland

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...r-brexit-optimism_uk_589097cae4b03ab749dda82d

This was one of the best speeches I ever heard in the H of C. To make up for loss of trade with the EU we need great trade deals elsewhere. It's just fantasy. What view do Brexiteers have on the impact on our carbon footprint if we vastly increase shipping and flights to buy and sell products so many thousands of miles away instead of on our doorstep.
I do not know either way. But services make up half of what UK exports. Not much shipping going on there. Exported goods to EU makes up 7% of GDP I think? 7% seems workable from my experience as an international retailer. As an example, I am mulling over whether to knock Amazon on the head, currently contributing 10% of my turnover. I suspect my time would be better spent trying to make money elsewhere. And it won't bankrupt me, losing 10%>

I don't really have an opinion here, other than if my figures are right, I can see why Bojo might see no deal as an ok outcome.

I do not know either way. But services make up half of what UK exports. Not much shipping going on there. Exported goods to EU makes up 7% of GDP I think? 7% seems workable from my experience as an international retailer. As an example, I am mulling over whether to knock Amazon on the head, currently contributing 10% of my turnover. I suspect my time would be better spent trying to make money elsewhere. And it won't bankrupt me, losing 10%>

I don't really have an opinion here, other than if my figures are right, I can see why Bojo might see no deal as an ok outcome.

That 7% feeds into real lives, real jobs, real mortgages.

There's no guarantee that those who generate that 7% will be able to sell the same stuff elsewhere (is fish really going to be shipped 1000 miles?).

There's also no guarantee that we can make up the 7% with 'new'; industries if the barriers make shipping to the UK/elsewhere uneconomic..

Johnson et. al. is playing his public-school games with no regard to the damage and uncertainty he is causing.

Why should he? he'll be fine whatever.

At least he's not opening up the UK unilaterally. I assume someone has finally realised what that would do to local industries.

However, it does mean higher prices all round.

Unless, of course, the 'bonfire of the regulations' reduces employment costs. Which is, of course, the whole point of Brexit.

Johnson has already given himself the ability to strip environmental regulations removing any way that future policy can be challenged.

Expect the same for worker's rights soon.

Stephen

A 38% increase in emissions related to producing and consuming goods, compared with 2014 levels acccording to 'Nature'
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02483-x

When you read 7% of GDP it doesn't sound too much.
In fact that is £300 billion per annum.
Bojo and you might see a loss on that scale as OK but I doubt anyone else does.
And yes the EU exports 20% more than that back to us: just shows what a Lose/Lose Brexit is.

Bojo and you might see a loss on that scale as OK but I doubt anyone else does.
And yes the EU exports 20% more than that back to us: just shows what a Lose/Lose Brexit is.
That is why a deal will be done by the end of the year.

Indeed. But next to 2 and a half trillion it looks small. On the other side of the coin, remainers say here that there is too much talk about fish, and 0.1% is nothing etc. But 0.1% is always the term used by all. Add figures like that back to the places where it hurt, like Hull and Grimsby (my neck of the woods), then it matters. So we agree on that at least.

So far we have planned a few days in Perpignan and along the coast inc trip to Figueres. Then nearly a week in each of Corbiers and Minervois villages. Think we should stay in a small town remaining few days. A lot of places in the foothills look great until I check the climate - often worst rainfall in May.
Weather varies from valley to valley!

In/around Perpignan, the wind will drive you crazy (La Tramontaine). Better look towards Port Vendre/Collioure, but the real estate prices reflect the shelter from the wind.

North East of Marseille is where I am, about 1h20 from Marseille Provence airport, 1h from Aix en Provence TGV.

The mistral will also drive you crazy, but from memory blows less often than the Tramontaine.

EDIT: apologies, I see you weren't talking about the present situation, but the effect of letting SF and chums have the chequebook.

Anyway, for reference...

Servicing the National Debt in 2020 will cost Ireland €4.83 billion.
Revenue from taxation in Ireland in 2019 was €60 billion.

...the equivalent figures for the UK are approximately £48 billion and £620.1 billion, respectively.

Don't worry there will be no tariffs, our trading partners are as broke as us.

Where did this gem of insight come from? The UKIP Times? Next you'll be telling us that we'll soar into the sunlit uplands on December 31st.

You do realise that Australian deal=no deal don't you? Or in other words Project Fcukwittery.

Indeed. But next to 2 and a half trillion it looks small. On the other side of the coin, remainers say here that there is too much talk about fish, and 0.1% is nothing etc. But 0.1% is always the term used by all. Add figures like that back to the places where it hurt, like Hull and Grimsby (my neck of the woods), then it matters. So we agree on that at least.
Forget the economic value of fishing, it is symbolic that fishing is sorted. Pictures in The Sun of factory stun trawlers in UK waters would be at the top of the Boris list of items to avoid at all cost.

EDIT: apologies, I see you weren't talking about the present situation, but the effect of letting SF and chums have the chequebook.

Anyway, for reference...

Servicing the National Debt in 2020 will cost Ireland €4.83 billion.
Revenue from taxation in Ireland in 2019 was €60 billion.

...the equivalent figures for the UK are approximately £48 billion and £620.1 billion, respectively.

Your correct I didn't cope the 0 in Colins post! :) Rough look at the figures the UK are approaching Irish levels vis-a-vis debt levels. Not as bad but if Boris delivers his promises it will get there.

a fairly likely outcome i would say. I still hold out a small hope that Johnson might have an eye on his position in history and pivot at the last minute to a soft Brexit when faced with the reality of a crash out.
Johnson may believe the UK is better off leaving with no deal. He may be right, he may be wrong. Time will tell. You have no idea how it is going to pan out.

Yawn, giving far too much weight to the media compared to all the other factors, one of which was that the policy was a nonsense born out of compromise rather than leadership.

Enjoy the rest of your day.
Rubbish.

Johnson may believe the UK is better off leaving with no deal. He may be right, he may be wrong. Time will tell. You have no idea how it is going to pan out.

Rubbish.
I admire your faith Brian.

(...actually the way your post is shown above sounds about right!) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back