advertisement

People's Vote march on the 19th of October

People have the right to demonstrate and I support that 100%, but don’t expect anything. If anyone thinks a tory govt will respond to this demo and suddenly call a second referendum on the back of it you don’t understand tories.

And Rosa Parks should have just stood up, because one person can’t make a difference.

It’s not a matter of expecting to prevail. It’s about doing what you believe to be the right thing, regardless, and just hoping it makes a difference.

OTOH, the talk from the Westminster correspondent on PM earlier was that there is some nebulous but spreading murmur of support for a referendum. So perhaps the march is well timed. Or maybe not; at least some of us will have tried.

And Rosa Parks should have just stood up, because one person can’t make a difference.

It’s not a matter of expecting to prevail. It’s about doing what you believe to be the right thing, regardless, and just hoping it makes a difference.

OTOH, the talk from the Westminster correspondent on PM earlier was that there is some nebulous but spreading murmur of support for a referendum. So perhaps the march is well timed. Or maybe not; at least some of us will have tried.
Mate, I am just as cynical as it gets about authoritarian conservative govts and this one is worse than the last one. Not trying to derail the thread.

Good luck.

People have the right to demonstrate and I support that 100%, but don’t expect anything. If anyone thinks a tory govt will respond to this demo and suddenly call a second referendum on the back of it you don’t understand tories.
I certainly don’t expect anything at all regarding a referendum. But someone has to show that the lies being propagated by Cummings and his puppets in government (the people are fed up with politicians blocking Brexit, the people just want Brexit sorted, the people want to leave on October 31st etc. etc.) are just that, and must not be allowed to morph into accepted truths by some form of media osmosis. And it seems to me the best way of doing that is by turning out in huge numbers on Saturday.

I envisage a sea of Brogue wearing, ale swigging, who has the most intelligent placard competition crowd heading for That London Town.

Why is a minority protesting against the most sensible thing the UK has voted for in decades? Doubtless it will be a few thousand, with the media telling us it was hundreds of thousands. Remoaners are the problem, they have no respect for democracy - you lost, get over it. It amazes me how any sane person could think the EU is in any way a good idea - it bankrupts its member nations (just ask Greece, Ireland, Spain, Italy and Germany), it wants to build an 'empire' according to Guy Verhofstadt, and empires always fall. The demise of the EU is imminent, and cannot happen soon enough.
Troll or dumb ****?

Yet those who voted leave with the same hope get branded racist, thick, shouldn't be allowed to vote scum bags as it doesn't fit the criteria.

All welcome! (Not something you hear everywhere these days) :)
It was an impressive speech, relaxed, confident & to the point. Ambiguity took a day off in politics.

The only issue being, will UK government allow another Indyref. Going on the speech & her plans for the country as a whole, I would hope they do as she was spot on with every point made. Scotland may need to start building houses to accommodate the disillusioned down here as they migrate northwards.

Yet those who voted leave with the same hope get branded racist, thick, shouldn't be allowed to vote scum bags as it doesn't fit the criteria.

You’re rehearsing mind-numbingly familiar conflicts from the ‘standard’ Brexit debate. Please try to stick to the march itself here, or post on the brexit debate thread if you’re after an argument about who’s stupidest.

You’re rehearsing mind-numbingly familiar conflicts from the ‘standard’ Brexit debate. Please try to stick to the march itself here, or post on the brexit debate thread if you’re after an argument about who’s stupidest.
I must have missed you being promoted to chief moderator.

"It’s not a matter of expecting to prevail. It’s about doing what you believe to be the right thing, regardless, and just hoping it makes a difference."

This statement precisely describes why many voted leave, whatever the thread topic.

I must have missed you being promoted to chief moderator.

"It’s not a matter of expecting to prevail. It’s about doing what you believe to be the right thing, regardless, and just hoping it makes a difference."

This statement precisely describes why many voted leave, whatever the thread topic.
Maybe so, though actually I think that’s a false equivalence.

I struggle to think of any rational question to which ‘leave the EU’ is the right answer. If you believe something to be the right thing, but your reasons for holding that belief are flawed, I can understand your position without having to agree with it or respect it.

advertisement

Back