advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did think that although the software wouldnt be provided for intially to deal with Rew/Dirac that the processing capability would support it in the future.

Simon,

Ping me your Email address and I'll send over the link, there is a new update pending later this week - but you will be able then upgrade via "over the air" updates.

I recommend using "Etcher" to create the image onto the eMMC memory.

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Sorry John did you mean me (Chris aka Beammeup) - based on the question "can my lakewest streambox get over the air updates like the full production Pro-Ject S2"?

Sorry John did you mean me (Chris aka Beammeup) - based on the question "can my lakewest streambox get over the air updates like the full production Pro-Ject S2"?

I was asking for a Lakewest branded build, as mine has a Pro-Ject logo.
You can go to System and then Check for Updates. I'm on 1.018

I was asking for a Lakewest branded build, as mine has a Pro-Ject logo.
You can go to System and then Check for Updates. I'm on 1.018

I know I can go to system and then updates on my Westlake streambox - I just wondered if this was the same system / updates target as the retail Project S2 Ultra?

The last update on my lakewest streambox was 1.001 on Oct. 12th. System check‘s last update. Well, it is working flawlessly.

Previous mdac owner here. I would like to ask what products can be currently ordered from John? Is there official website?

Previous mdac owner here. I would like to ask what products can be currently ordered from John? Is there official website?

As far as I’m aware there’s nothing apart from some free MDAC firmware updates - sorry I don’t have a link, but they’re several years old.

Since Christmas I've been working with MDAC2 Prototype clock circuit - the results are good with lots of development feedback requiring design modification. The prototyped circuits has highlighted the need for better thermal management of the reference clock - I hope to have the updated schematics by the end of the week.

I recall also this bit of related information:
MDAC First Listen (part 00100000)
Drum roll please :) I've just completed the design of the stage 2 Prototype PCB :) [...]
The design is the "Grand Central" of the MDAC2 Analogue board – the other circuit sections are connect to this central location :) [...] The month long delay in releasing this PCB whose original aim was to confirm the performance of the clock circuit was to add its PSU as any clock design is only as good the PSU that’s powering it.

The PCB also has the Advance clock design with DAC to modulate its spectral content to Decorrelate any unwanted fixed jitter spurie and also to “dither” the logic level transition points – this is part of the MDAC2’s advanced D3D circuit.

This circuit also provides the relevant clock distribution to the dual DAC’s[...]

Then only the digital board remains, which is a much simpler design…. Tedious but simple….
Well that was only little time ago - June 2014 it is. Luckily the rest is simple. Only some minor changes to the design :p

Are there estimates for completion of these items and if so what are they?
I would expect that there are only some minor, simple modifications left, as stated 06/2014, so that I'm confident to read here about 07/2023 that the design is almost complete and only minor, simple modifications ... and so on.

I'm just kidding.
No smileys, though.

I just had the most fascinating and enlightening revelation of my life!

It took the form of an ascending series of ever more profound toughts.
I hope I can communicate it to you here (as English is not my mother tongue).

1) Imagine if God had been so scrupuluous and aiming for perfection as John - instead of saying at the 7th day "ough, that was hard work, I'm over with it", we would still wait for the first issue of a real production unit of Man that deserves the plaquette "GodLab". Most probably not even single-cellular amobae would exist now.

2) But then, as we all know, it wasn't 7 days after all, but about 15 billion years ago something started that we now call evolution, and Man wasn't created in 1 day but is the result of millions of years of refinement, which is still going on (although me personally, I have my doubts there. Compare Cervantes, Goethe, Dostojewskij, Melville to today's daily TV soaps; or Bach, Beethoven, Mahler, Strawinsky to the typical 3-chords of Pop hit in straight 4/4 and you get what I mean)

3) And now the real hammer (I doubt this is right in English, but anyway): Hey, what if not mankind was the goal and crown of creation, but all this billions of ever increasing complexity had only one endpoint in mind: the One And Only Perfect Digital-Analog-Converter!

With this last revelation everything was clear as daylight for me. Such must have been the feelings of Saulus when he fell from his horse and stood again as Paulus.

So, who are we to make a fuss about a year or more in that evolutionary evolving process? What does it mean in cosmological dimensions, when only after anything from some centuries to another billion years there will be the PERFECT DAC and evolution will have reached its final end-point!

We should start a new church (or have we already?). I now call myself a Daccer. What about you?

Since Christmas I've been working with MDAC2 Prototype clock circuit - the results are good with lots of development feedback requiring design modification. The prototyped circuits has highlighted the need for better thermal management of the reference clock - I hope to have the updated schematics by the end of the week.

Is the problem with the VCO or the PSU?, crystal phase noise is not that sensitive to heat.

I would expect that there are only some minor, simple modifications left, as stated 06/2014, so that I'm confident to read here about 07/2023 that the design is almost complete and only minor, simple modifications ... and so on.

This did make me chuckle, but I am genuinely confused and rather than descend into more criticism of John's ability to deliver to a schedule I really just want to hear what the dates are. Honestly, if he said 2023 I don't think anyone would be shocked. I'm resigned to expecting nothing if I'm honest, but he's doing something so I would like to hear what the dates are. I didn't expect Brexit to have been proposed, voted for, triggered and almost resolved before something was actually made and put in the hands of the crowd funders but here we are. Any emotional thoughts or opinions about any of this have long since gone, which means I am interested and that's about it.

Do we know if Facebook updates are still occurring? I understood they would make it to this thread but really I'm clueless about the whole deal.

This did make me chuckle, but I am genuinely confused and rather than descend into more criticism of John's ability to deliver to a schedule I really just want to hear what the dates are. Honestly, if he said 2023 I don't think anyone would be shocked. I'm resigned to expecting nothing if I'm honest, but he's doing something so I would like to hear what the dates are. I didn't expect Brexit to have been proposed, voted for, triggered and almost resolved before something was actually made and put in the hands of the crowd funders but here we are. Any emotional thoughts or opinions about any of this have long since gone, which means I am interested and that's about it.

Do we know if Facebook updates are still occurring? I understood they would make it to this thread but really I'm clueless about the whole deal.

I wonder how Brexit will affect the costing. Will there be import duty to pay?

The Facebook account has been very quiet lately. I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back