advertisement

Apple

But that's gonna be expensive top of range stuff, which i may struggle to justify. If not that, what? Mac minis don't seem to get a good press, so am looking at a 2017 iMac 21.5 inch with 1TB and 8GB...

When they do it it will be right across the range in one hit, i.e, all non-iOS product.

The iMac will be a lovely bit of kit, but I’d personally be reluctant to invest good money at this point. I’m certainly planning to run my mid-2012 MBP until it is clear what is happening. Some further thoughts on The Verge here.

PS I’m finding selecting text here on Xenforo when editing posts on the iPad under iOS 12 a bit broken, it seems to be snapping to the end of a paragraph and not letting me move the end marker. Bug?

Definitely a bug in the way Safari selects text within XenForo edit windows, I’ve tried a full reset and it is consistent across both the iPad and iPhone, though fine on Opera Browser, so local to Safari. Rather irritating as it means I’ll need to use Opera until they fix it as I frequently find errors or clumsy phrasing in my wording/grammar etc that I feel I need to correct just to make stuff read the way I intended.

The pressing question is, will my iPod get the T. rex emoji?

Joe

OS X is old enough to rightfully be a mess.
But I seriously doubt it will run without access to the mothership a la iOS.
I'd always pictured OS X as the eventual mothership .. a sort of home hub for streaming, storing and Twitter dander. But you're likely correct and it'll be the other way around.
Users like me, still using a flip-phone and doggedly resistant to integrating with the great cellular umbilical of babble, are obviously a dying breed. I mean...

... we're easy to spot. We bitch a lot online and remember the "Think Different" pitch. AFAIC, that one is right up there with "Do no evil"

Marky-Mark,

Cool, I have a flip phone, too — one with an emergency beam out button, which comes in handy should I ever be surrounded by Klingons who are pointing disruptors at my head.

Joe

What Mac should i get? A Windows dude who loves iPhone and iPad but previously scared of losing Windows on main PC. I think the time has come. Sure as hell can't justify cost of latest models and i don't need gaming/graphics power like some...
If you have an i5 processor you could run an Apple OS in a virtual machine using VMWare (free) under Windows. I have a 9 yo Dell i5 with Win 7 and it has no problem running El Capitan, High Sierra and Mojave. I also run Win 10 pro under Win 7!

The only drawback I have found running various Apple OS in a VM is with the graphics. It would appear that Apple don't allow a VM to pass OpenGL and limits graphics memory to 128MB no matter how much you allocate.

You can gain access to the Apple OS by either buying a boot USB from various web suppliers or buy an old s/h Mac and use that to register with Apple and use disk utility to build a boot USB. Anything that has Yosemite or later will do Once you have an Apple OS running in a VM you can flog the Mac. Actually you don't even need to do that as you'll find some Apple OS virtual disks on the web but you'll be limited by how they were originally setup.

My latest ITX desktop machine uses Linux 16.04 LTS in the flavour of Mint and it runs VMWare VMs for Windows 2000 pro, XP pro, Win 7, Win 10 pro, El Capitan, High Sierra and Mojave. Oh and I'm running some old games written for Win 95/98/Vista under WineHQ. I must say that I'm very impressed with Linux Mint.

Cheers,

DV

One last thing any VMs that you create can be transported from one machine to another you just take the virtual disk copy and fire it up with summat like VMWare.

pfm and most of the independent internet then. Expect to see many of the sites you think you care about close! A subscription basis just wouldn’t work as too few would pay, so the only audio forums that would survive would be directly tied to manufacturers, magazines or be vanity blogs etc with all the moderation and agendas etc one associates with such things. Everything costs time and money to produce and run, and advertising is by far the most innocuous and least intrusive business model. I agree some sites go over the top, e.g. the Independent can crash my iPad it is so ad-laden, but it is the countless smaller sites such as pfm that operate on a shoestring budget that will go first if people continue using content theft devices.

Well, none of the websites I've built or still develop have ads. Nor anything like 'google analytics', etc. So I'm less concerned in general terms about thinking we need a web which has so many ads, etc. But maybe I should pay a sub to PFM. I'd feel happer doing so if it *didn't* have ads, though, but I can understand your point. The difficulty with your argument, though, is that if a site relies on ads it can't be truly 'independent' as it has to be wary of hosting anything critical of the source or arrangement of that ad income. You may recall one past comment I made on PFM re that which you deleted. Fair enough for you to do so, as this is your site. But makes my point.

My latest ITX desktop machine uses Linux 16.04 LTS in the flavour of Mint and it runs VMWare VMs for Windows 2000 pro, XP pro, Win 7, Win 10 pro, El Capitan, High Sierra and Mojave. Oh and I'm running some old games written for Win 95/98/Vista under WineHQ. I must say that I'm very impressed with Linux Mint.

FWIW I've happily used the xfce version of Mint for some years as my preferred Linux setup. But also being a RO user I install the ROX desktop as well and use that most of the time. Don't use Wine for anything, but do run a 'RPCEmu' emulator of an old Risc PC (RISC OS) on it some of the time when I want to use some ancient 26-bit mode software that otherwise requires old ARM chips that could run in 26-bit mode.

If you have an i5 processor you could run an Apple OS in a virtual machine using VMWare (free) under Windows. I have a 9 yo Dell i5 with Win 7 and it has no problem running El Capitan, High Sierra and Mojave. I also run Win 10 pro under Win 7!

The only drawback I have found running various Apple OS in a VM is with the graphics. It would appear that Apple don't allow a VM to pass OpenGL and limits graphics memory to 128MB no matter how much you allocate.

You can gain access to the Apple OS by either buying a boot USB from various web suppliers or buy an old s/h Mac and use that to register with Apple and use disk utility to build a boot USB. Anything that has Yosemite or later will do Once you have an Apple OS running in a VM you can flog the Mac. Actually you don't even need to do that as you'll find some Apple OS virtual disks on the web but you'll be limited by how they were originally setup.

Cheers,

DV

One last thing any VMs that you create can be transported from one machine to another you just take the virtual disk copy and fire it up with summat like VMWare.

Interesting - thanks. Having recently left a job where VMs were the bane of my life I’m somewhat anti...but understand the principle.
A new shiny iMac though...current Windows PC is reaching a point where I may well have replaced it in next couple of years anyway.
In the meantime I may well steel myself to dive into VM again as have an oldish MacBook that could do the boot disk thing I reckon.

As far as I'm aware there can be a lot of faffing around to get Mac OS to work on a Windows PC due to incompatible hardware/drivers etc. Watching a YouTube video the other week (that makes me and expert right?) it wasn't as simple as getting hold of a copy of the OS and loading it on a PC. Perhaps the VM takes care of that, perhaps I'm talking bollocks - both could be true.

If it takes longer than half an hour I won’t bother. Got a good flavour of it all on the MacBook anyway but unfortunately it’s too under powered to be “main computer”.

As far as I'm aware there can be a lot of faffing around to get Mac OS to work on a Windows PC due to incompatible hardware/drivers etc. Watching a YouTube video the other week (that makes me and expert right?) it wasn't as simple as getting hold of a copy of the OS and loading it on a PC. Perhaps the VM takes care of that, perhaps I'm talking bollocks - both could be true.

Yes it does and its quite easy to do. However making a Hackintosh is much more difficult because Apple only write drivers for the hardware that they use and when they stop supporting those drivers you then need to change the hardware again to keep up with the latest OS. VMWare and others like it presents your hardware to an Apple OS as if it was a Mac.

Another reason to use VMs is for security. If a VM gets 'infected' its isolated from the rest of the computer and can easily be recovered from a copy.I would encourage people who rely on computers for their work to run email and web browsing in a VM then if you ever slip up your computer is safe from the likes of wanna cry.

Cheers,

DV

If it takes longer than half an hour I won’t bother. Got a good flavour of it all on the MacBook anyway but unfortunately it’s too under powered to be “main computer”.
Once you know what to do and you have all the resources half hour is more than enough. I keep all my stuff on a USB stick and can build an Apple VM in around 15 mins. You just need the VMWare player, the VMWare patcher for Mac and an ISO of the Apple OS that you want. Install, patch, build and then boot up your Mac.

If your Mac is old why not install a copy of Linux Mint. If you have enough disk space you could run this as a dual boot machine.

Cheers,

DV

pfm and most of the independent internet then. Expect to see many of the sites you think you care about close! A subscription basis just wouldn’t work as too few would pay, so the only audio forums that would survive would be directly tied to manufacturers, magazines or be vanity blogs etc with all the moderation and agendas etc one associates with such things. Everything costs time and money to produce and run, and advertising is by far the most innocuous and least intrusive business model. I agree some sites go over the top, e.g. the Independent can crash my iPad it is so ad-laden, but it is the countless smaller sites such as pfm that operate on a shoestring budget that will go first if people continue using content theft devices.

It can't be easy in an online world that has an expectation of free if it's not retail. I look at as Napster syndrome.

One enthusiast forum I used to visit lost much of its dedicated active membership over 10 years with this problem. The forum had a communal vibe with a busy classified section. Of course, as popularity increased costs went up and the owner couldn't sustain it. He tried fund drives but they didn't raise much. He broached the question of paid ads publicly and the blowback was nearly unanimous: No ads! But not many contributed either.

Didn't take long before he sold it to a guy with a mind to make money from the classifieds by funneling those users to a quasi-auction site he managed where he took a percentage. Didn't go over well. In fact, there was an insurrection and many tenured members left. So he implemented a subscription model. That also ground to a halt and he went with ads. Made sense since the ratio of guests to members had become about 5 to 1 with the member exodus.

I don't know much about ad networks, but he ceded control of that to a third party ad machine and malicious ads quickly began giving the remaining unprotected users fits. There were threads where users would council each other on what ad blockers to use. So he started deleting them whenever they'd appear. So many users eventually left that the quality of conversation followed them. But the total viewing count, last time I Iooked, was still around 1000. So I assume he's making something from the ads.

Well, none of the websites I've built or still develop have ads. Nor anything like 'google analytics', etc. So I'm less concerned in general terms about thinking we need a web which has so many ads, etc.

That just implies a) you are comparatively wealthy and need not make any income from your work/time, and b) your sites are simple static content publishing and require no moderation and little maintenance! Running a dynamic forum that always has hundreds online, gets many thousands of visits and generates hundreds of posts each day is a rather different animal! ;-)

That just implies a) you are comparatively wealthy and need not make any income from your work/time, and b) your sites are simple static content publishing and require no moderation and little maintenance! Running a dynamic forum that always has hundreds online, gets many thousands of visits and generates hundreds of posts each day is a rather different animal! ;-)

Agree about (b). However many useful websites aren't forums or require active moderation, etc.

(a) is more debatable. Once you have an internet link, buidling a simple 'static' website to provide infomation really isn't either hard or costly. Even with hundreds of pages the bulk of the costs I face are for having a decent internet connection. Not for space to put pages up.

So I suspect many people could do it as an alternative to using FarceBook, etc. If people have time for 'social media' they'd have time to produce an informative website - assuming they have information to present.

Hence, yes, I can quite understand that you will be in a different situation to me because you're running an active and complex operation that really does need continual oversight, etc. But many other sites need not be like that.

It occurs to me to suggest something that perhaps you tried and abandoned. But might prompt me.

This is to add a line to the basic page structure that makes a comment to the effect that "This site exists because it gets support from the ads. If you don't see the ads because you ad-block, etc, please consider making an occasional donation."

This issue only surfaced in my mind when it got mentioned recently. I had no idea the ads existed as I never see them, even though I don't use any 'ad blocker'. So I'd not considered this question until recently. A short line on each page that isn't too intrusive would perhaps nudge at least a few people. And TBH I'm of an age where I'd end up forgetting otherwise!

With a forum there isn’t just the cost of hosting the website, there’s also the cost of the traffic from the website. I’ve no idea how big the forum is, or the volume of traffic, but it isn’t going to be free.

advertisement

Back