advertisement

Apple

Hah! Makes me want one even more.

PS I assume its the new iPhone X? I’ve not checked-in for video-brainwashing yet... anything else new?

Updated watch

3 new phones, different sizes prices points (SE form is no more, 6S no more - 7 is the base model now)

Something something Apple on 100% renewable power, something something recyclable with robot arm, Something something TV dobbly update and something something AirPod extra commands. Siri gets to be less stupid apparently.

I think that’s it for now.

No but dual/Esim options which actually would be welcome but not at this price point I am afraid. The keynote was an hour an a half but you can get to the key points in around 6 minutes, apple watch, bit thinner bit taller, iphones bit bigger, bit more money.

End.

Updated watch

3 new phones, different sizes prices points (SE form is no more, 6S no more - 7 is the base model now)

Something something Apple on 100% renewable power, something something recyclable with robot arm, Something something TV dobbly update and something something AirPod extra commands. Siri gets to be less stupid apparently.

I think that’s it for now.

Something something robot arm sounds good. Always fancied being a Japanese manga cyborg...

That was Earth mother lady just telling us off daisy the killbot has more iPhone killing skillz
One day this will be humans in the robot uprising.

I just want to live long enough to see Elon Musk disassembled thusly in his own factory

The watch has been in search of a “killer app”. With FDA-approved EKG monitoring, it may have found it.

Wow, you can spend >2,000 Canuck clams on a phone now.

Joe

The watch has been in search of a “killer app”. With FDA-approved EKG monitoring, it may have found it.
Yup, nail on head.Apparently some health authorities and insurance companies have already jumped on board.

That said, I may upgrade my watch, but the swathe of new iphones hasn’t convinced me to move on from the 6.

Just had a quick look at the Apple site, the XR looks very good, I’m struggling to think of a reason why one would pay the extra for the XS. 128GB for £799, I’d pay that (I paid £699 for my 128GB 6S). 128GB is enough for a very decent music library so no need to go bigger IMO. Comes in yellow too! I’ll likely go another year yet as I’m still showing 100% battery life etc, the 6S is a great phone.

I’ll treat myself to the Watch 4 to replace this original one. Can’t go back to a normal watch now. Apparently this new watch can notify you on what day you’re going to die?

That’ll be one hell of a notification.

Was expecting new iPads too but nothing doing. This 1st version Retina is starting to play up a bit, not charging, screen sometimes doesn’t respond...

Would love an iPad Pro with the Face ID, that was the device I thought we’d see alongside the phones & Watch 4.

Oh well, it’ll be a cheaper Christmas...

Big screens are good. Big bodies are bad. So it's all about small bezels. The X is presently the best offering for that.

4.7 inch screens with big bezels were class leading a few years ago.

But things move on: you can get better for small money now. My Android phone has 5.5 inch screen and small bezels, hardly any bigger than an iPhone 6, tad shorter than an X anyway, for £160 all in (LG Q6). So the 6 is dated now IMO. It hasn't become bad, but everything else got better!

£1,449 for a phone? The world is seriously f^cked up.
Not sure I agree. I remember when phones became a thing, the manufacturing costs were enormous and people said they'd never catch on because they'd be unaffordable. For years providers subsidised the cost of the phone and made it back on the contract charges. I realise that manufacturing costs have come down dramatically, but I've always thought that the higher end phones are probably priced closer to a realistic cost for the product, based on cost to manufacture. That we think the price is ridiculous probably reflects unrealistic expectations based on the economics of mid-range smartphone contracts.

I recently bought the 256GB X and I love it. Really impressed. Pricy, but considering how much use it will get each and every day, it starts to seem less crazy. I reckon a mint one at 3 years old will still fetch £500 with everything all as new (box, etc.), so TCO for me is ~£200/year give or take, and an £8/month generous sim-only contract. Is it worth £200/year to me? I can certainly justify that.

Now, where are the new iMacs? I’m holding off as I really want a hexacore 27”.... c’mon Apple, take my cash! #fanboy

So just what makes a £1449 Apple mobile phone worth over a grand more than a £300 Android phone apart from brand affiliation and some perverse street cred?

advertisement

Back