advertisement

Apple

OS X is old enough to rightfully be a mess. Seriously it’s crufty as hell as it ought to be with this level of adding on and i’m hoping migration to ARM for OSX in an 8 core s5 arm cortex happens with beefed up on silicon GPU... on 7nm — because the whole OS footprint is smaller, less hardware legacy variation to support, streamlined, you can make better compiled code on ARM now (look ma no hypervisor) and the laptops will be super long lasting on battery, or thin, whatever the design requirements from above are dictated to be.

But I seriously doubt it will run without access to the mothership a la iOS.

It’s getting close. The i9 throttle **** up everyone below management knew was going to happen but they don’t listen to anyone and while stock rises and profits keep up with per unit sale why would they?

FHTY-HUAL-PQOI-PQNU-AOUF
AKSI-AAPN-APRM-AMDE-AAOM
YUQQ-AIQO-OIQN-GYQP-AOZP

DhLkp.jpg

iPhone now on iOS 12! No fire or explosions yet. Only thing I’ve spotted so far is the word hints above the keyboard are now black rather than white on grey. There are likely other differences too!

iPhone now on iOS 12! No fire or explosions yet. Only thing I’ve spotted so far is the word hints above the keyboard are now black rather than white on grey. There are likely other differences too!

Phone & iPad done. Those word hints are much easier to see now on the new scheme.

The screen time feature should be interesting.

We also have a new measuring stick, which is rather fun.

I’ve left the iPad sucking the upgrade down off t’internet so I’m on the iPhone currently. No going back - reckless early adoption needs to be absolute to get the full adrenaline buzz.

I did the phone yesterday. I’ll do the iPad/Macs/TV at the weekend.

It seems mainly a bug fix, though Waze on CarPlay hound be fun when it’s released.

Everyone has different user scenarios but I find if I spend money on a tech thing, I like to learn how to make the most of it and how it can be used in my life in ways other than I originally intended it for. Maybe I am unusual in that but I like not carrying a purse or a phone around all the time because I don’t make that many calls but I like to remain connected. I don’t carry much stuff. I don’t use all the features all of the time but when I do it’s really convenient.

I get that, I'd sorely love an excuse to spunk a load of cash on an expensive phone as I do like gadgets.

My phone is still firmly in the use case scenario of an emergency contact device and something to pass 5 minutes if I'm really bored. It spends 95% of it's life in the glove box, and quite often I will forget to take it out at the end of the day and it gets left in over night. Aside from the odd call or text I really can't find anything to use it for or get into any sort of routine with it.

If small phones were't such a pain in the arse to use when you do actually need a large screen I'd definitely have something much smaller and less intrusive to carry around in the pocket.

I had to turn adblock / adblockplus back on after upgrading to Safari 12. They were turned off because they will "slow down browsing"...

a) Not noticeably
and b) any internet with adverts is internet that is unread

If there is a big Apple switch to turn it off to the same extent, that would be OK.

PS If anyone was unaware, you can run the same on your iphone now as well. No adverts in iOS.

...and thus your favourite websites go under as you have denied them their income stream. Ad blockers are content theft devices IMO. I’d happily deny access to everyone running one here who doesn’t fairly regularly hit the donation button, and I suspect most independent websites feel just the same!

I'm happy to pay for content, and do - The Guardian, NYT, Strava etc. I will never be happy with adverts. I have no TV. I just don't see adverts anymore. It's fantastic. Other than having no idea how to use the latest detergent dispenser every few years or so. I'd pay £7.99 a month for pfm. set it up!

If you rely on ads for revenue, you need a better revenue model.
Seriously, if you are that worried use Adblock detection and block users that Adblock.

If you rely on ads for revenue, your revenue model is ****ed.

pfm and most of the independent internet then. Expect to see many of the sites you think you care about close! A subscription basis just wouldn’t work as too few would pay, so the only audio forums that would survive would be directly tied to manufacturers, magazines or be vanity blogs etc with all the moderation and agendas etc one associates with such things. Everything costs time and money to produce and run, and advertising is by far the most innocuous and least intrusive business model. I agree some sites go over the top, e.g. the Independent can crash my iPad it is so ad-laden, but it is the countless smaller sites such as pfm that operate on a shoestring budget that will go first if people continue using content theft devices.

Back to iOS 12 - iPads get the nifty swipe-up into the task manager gesture of the iPhone X. Shame that doesn’t work on the iPhone 6S, but great to have it here on the iPad! That alone is worth the update!

iOS 12 on iPhone 8 Plus and iPad Mini 4; seems OK so far but I'm sad to see the Bluetooth icon has gone.

What Mac should i get? A Windows dude who loves iPhone and iPad but previously scared of losing Windows on main PC. I think the time has come. Sure as hell can't justify cost of latest models and i don't need gaming/graphics power like some...

What Mac should i get? A Windows dude who loves iPhone and iPad but previously scared of losing Windows on main PC. I think the time has come. Sure as hell can't justify cost of latest models and i don't need gaming/graphics power like some...

Personally I’d wait. I’d put money on Apple migrating all the OS X Mac lines to the in-house Axx CPUs used in the iPhones very soon, in fact I bet they are working on it right now. This will be as big as the RISC to Intel thing, so I’d be reluctant to invest at the end of the old line. The A12 CPU in the new iPhone XS is just crazy good so the technology exists now, they just need to redesign the MBPs etc and OS X (or its replacement) to utilise it. I’d not be that surprised if it was within the next 12 months. I also suspect it will be a ‘big bang’ announcement when they are ready to ship, as advertising it now would obviously kill their current computer sales stone dead!

Personally I’d wait. I’d put money on Apple migrating all the OS X Mac lines to the in-house Axx CPUs used in the iPhones very soon, in fact I bet they are working on it right now. This will be as big as the RISC to Intel thing, so I’d be reluctant to invest at the end of the old line. The A12 CPU in the new iPhone XS is just crazy good so the technology exists now, they just need to redesign the MBPs etc and OS X (or its replacement) to utilise it. I’d not be that surprised if it was within the next 12 months. I also suspect it will be a ‘big bang’ announcement when they are ready to ship, as advertising it now would obviously kill their current computer sales stone dead!

But that's gonna be expensive top of range stuff, which i may struggle to justify. If not that, what? Mac minis don't seem to get a good press, so am looking at a 2017 iMac 21.5 inch with 1TB and 8GB...

advertisement

Back