advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris, I had totally the wrong end of the stick on the bpbp circuit. I Should have looked at it before building it...

Hi it has been some time since i have read this thread, new mouth to feed and selling & viewing bigger houses up north. Will the streamer that is being talked about fit inside the fdac or is it a separate device? Will the fdac still have an hdmi input. How long for the production of the Detox as i have not received an email for its cost? I don't like waiting but I must admit i have been looking at getting a Brooklyn but so far have restrained myself as this is not the right time to get more equipment.

Thanks

I don't like waiting but I must admit i have been looking at getting a Brooklyn but so far have restrained myself as this is not the right time to get more equipment.

Thanks

Do give the Mytek Brooklyn an audition, pretty sure all waiting is over :D
If you've got a MDAC, it will be a huge step up.
I did and never looked back :cool:

Will the streamer that is being talked about fit inside the fdac or is it a separate device?

The Current Streamer is designed for the MDAC2 - the FDAC will have a differant design.

Will the FDAC still have an hdmi input?

The FDAC will have by special order a HDMI Audio extraction card - both the FDAC and MDAC2 (with Streamer) have HDMI output to support the Streamer UI and video playback (with Kodi installed).

How long for the production of the Detox as i have not received an email for its cost?

Once I have a confirmed delivery date for the PnP machine (Which hopefully I'll have in this coming week) then I'll open the Detox "At Cost" order books with estimated delivery dates.

I don't like waiting but I must admit i have been looking at getting a Brooklyn but so far have restrained myself as this is not the right time to get more equipment.

The Mytek Brooklyn uses a single ESS9018K2M DAC whch is an older ESS design - if your really keen to splurge funds now and can live with single ended outputs then consider the Pro-ject DAC we designed - this uses a PAIR of the ESS9038Q2M which are the latest hyperstream II designs - a far better IC then the earlier Gen ESS9018K2M.

Also the little Project DAC supports ASRC free mode (the Mytek uses ASRC in all modes) & has the option of a battery PSU and supports MQA etc. and is far far cheaper then the Brooklyn.

The MDAC2 which I hope will be in production within a month of Detox being shipped uses a par or ESS9028PRO's, offers Internal streamer option with Full 1080p Video support + optional ADC.

Both the Pro-Ject and MDAC2 support DSD512 and PCM 768KHz (the MDAC2 ADC supports DSD256).

Unless you need the DSP option of the FDAC, then there's no reason the MDAC2 should not be considered.

John, I don't recall you saying whether Joe Bonamassa 'Just Got Paid' or wowed you with a performance?....;)

I lost over 2.5 days last week updating a MDAC thats been here since Christmas!! - I forgot how much work and time is involved. Sadly, until MDAC2 is released I can no longer entertain MDAC repairs unless the owner is on the FDAC / MDAC2 waiting list as repairs just take so much of my time.

I'm now just rearranging the Lab for new bench's for the SMT solder stencil printer & ultra sonic PCB cleaning tank - I'll answer later about JB...

T

The Mytek Brooklyn uses a single ESS9018K2M DAC whch is an older ESS design - if your really keen to splurge funds now and can live with single ended outputs then consider the Pro-ject DAC we designed - this uses a PAIR of the ESS9038Q2M which are the latest hyperstream II designs - a far better IC then the earlier Gen ESS9018K2M.

Also the little Project DAC supports ASRC free mode (the Mytek uses ASRC in all modes) & has the option of a battery PSU and supports MQA etc. and is far far cheaper then the Brooklyn.

Is this the DAC Box RS please?....... edit: I think its too old. Could you please tell me which model?

John, I think you have a unique design style. To my eyes, its very neat, tidy and oozes class and style. I reckon just by looking at a picture of a PCB I could predict whether it was a LakeWest board or not.

Thanks for the reply John most informative :)

I may well consider the MDAC2

In laymans terms what would the dsp allow me to do, would it allow me to reduce the bass for night time listening?

Have a pair of those, too. Work well, but not needed.. Anybody?

Michael,

So who has been a bad boy here and not told the Doctor the whole story? - I could not understand how you had TWO MDAC's fail with no Remote function!

Some little clues to the actual scenario :)

My remote control stopped worked after I rewired my MDAC's PSU? - does this ring any bells :D

When you rewired your PSU you connected the Remote control signal cable to the AC tap on the Mains transformer - needless to say the dear old MDAC did not like 18Vac appearing on its Remote control logic line which made rather a mess of your poor MDAC!

Remote control is now working - but now I have to tackle the Capacitors... Ouch your units one of worst units WRT Caps....

John, I think you have a unique design style. To my eyes, its very neat, tidy and oozes class and style. I reckon just by looking at a picture of a PCB I could predict whether it was a LakeWest board or not.

Tim,

Thank you - PCB design really takes us time and is very boring, but critical to performance IMO - Its nice when our "hidden" work is appreciated.

WRT the PnP machine we are still negotiating the price and other terms - I made phone calls today to push the process.

I had a press support trip in Brussels last week and I've been working on the Streamer inbetween.

All get back to the MDAC2 mainboard in the next few days.

Hi JohnW,

I trust your are back on MDAC2 + PSU design as promised :)

You had mentioned that PSU will have a power point for DETOX box. How complected would it be to provide an additional 5V for external Streamer box (low power version)?

Hossein

Hi JohnW,

I trust your are back on MDAC2 + PSU design as promised :)

You had mentioned that PSU will have a power point for DETOX box. How complected would it be to provide an additional 5V for external Streamer box (low power version)?

Hossein

One additional vote for this! But Rpi3 (streamer+CM3) needs at least 2.5A@5V to work properly.

HI John,
any prevision for the P&P arrival ? Has everything been ordered now ?
Looking forward to see the first board being released.

Ricardo

I thought the MDAC2 design was completed, just waiting for PnP machine?
It's easy to get confused but I'm fairly sure it isn't.

It would be great if we could have a simple system for indicating when the following milestones have been achieved. perhaps a sticky containing only John's confirmation of the following. We could all then subscribe to the sticky and get an email notification when anything happens. That might save on having to check in just to find out the latest state of play. I'm keen to reduce the time I spend doing this, and I imagine it will be a relief to others not to have me bringing things down with my negative vibes.
So how about just posting on a separate sticky (not necessarily in order).

a. the mdac2 design is finished
b. the pnp machine is ordered
c. the pnp machine has arrived.
d. the streamer module is ready to ship
e. the detox is ready to ship
f. the mdac2 is ready to ship.
g the f-dac is ready to ship.

I suppose you could add any stages at which money is required.

I think this would save a lot of time and would not impose any great burden on John. It might reduce the number of grumpy and/or bewildered posts on here.

It's easy to get confused but I'm fairly sure it isn't.

It would be great if we could have a simple system for indicating when the following milestones have been achieved. perhaps a sticky containing only John's confirmation of the following. We could all then subscribe to the sticky and get an email notification when anything happens. That might save on having to check in just to find out the latest state of play. I'm keen to reduce the time I spend doing this, and I imagine it will be a relief to others not to have me bringing things down with my negative vibes.
So how about just posting on a separate sticky (not necessarily in order).

a. the mdac2 design is finished
b. the pnp machine is ordered
c. the pnp machine has arrived.
d. the streamer module is ready to ship
e. the detox is ready to ship
f. the mdac2 is ready to ship.
g the f-dac is ready to ship.

I suppose you could add any stages at which money is required.

I think this would save a lot of time and would not impose any great burden on John. It might reduce the number of grumpy and/or bewildered posts on here.

Seconded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back