advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pay attention $ 5000 does not equate to £ 5000.

Its not far from it @ 1.2 at the moment.

I holding out for May to win tomorrow before I convert the PnP machine GBP funds into Euros.. Is she looses then I'm in trouble :(

I have it on good authority that sterling is currently priced to account for a May win so I might not see a dramatic increase... however sterling will plummet if Corbyn gets in :(

Anybody who thinks a retail price of £5k is expensive for the FDACs anticipated quality and functionality is deluding themselves. Take a look around . . .

With "budget equipment" (think Cambridge Audio / Audiolab) the ratio between component cost and end selling price is 1:5 to 1:6, with higher end Equipment (above 1-2K) it steps to 1:10 and HIGHER!!! - and that is sick!

The BOM (Bill Of Materials) for the FDAC will be over 1K - its an expensive / reference no compromise design.

John, seriously the milestone sticky idea? It wouldn't be much trouble and would save this thread from being polluted by the presence of rationality. One small sticky thread and this place can become a serene haven of happy smiling faces.

C'mon John, at least acknowledge Adam's second prompt. You have a lot of silent funders watching this who don't want to upset you but ignoring perfectly reasonable requests given the track record of failed promises on delivery seems like contempt.

I'm sure you think it's much worse for you, and most of us want to be understanding of the things you've pointed out but just for a moment try and offer some respect in return. It's offensive.

Sibbers,

I'm sorry I don't operate as you "require" - but each to there own with no disrespect to anyone - I'm deeply offended by your post.

There are two major goals pending, installation of the PnP machine expected September, and the MDAC2 design to be completed by then so we can build the PCBs'.

Once the PnP machine has been installed the Streamer PCBs and Detox will proceed the MDAC2 boards - subject to component availability.

I've temporarily blocked Adams post because his constant negativity only knocks me down so much I find it hard to concentrate on the design - it was not a decision I've taken lightly but Adam has recently just constantly been driving attacks against me - this really has a very negative effected on my ability to work on the project.

I can see that your trending the same direction so sorry to everyone I'm going remove myself from the forum for a week or so while I work on the MDAC2 PCB - I CANNOT handle the mental distraction your post causes me.

I'm sorry to everyone else, I did see this forum as a place to give updates as they happen, and to have a "family" of friends as I work on the design - but I'm under so much work pressure ATM something has to give - so I'll be back with project updates on the 15th... :(

I'm truly very sad but I need to complete the design without being "Hit" almost daily.

I must say, I could never take the constant negativity that John put up with.

I hope John doesn't regret starting these projects as they've brought a lot of excitement and fun to my life the past few years.

I agree this was like a family of friends on an exciting journey, but I guess when you're in a broken elevator or on a raft, some start getting cabin fever and can't cope.

There was an interesting Horizon program about ADHD and one of its proposals was that some people just jump off cliffs or take ridiculous risks in order to educate the rest of the group about the nearby dangers hence helping the gene pool survive. Most of us previously called it madness.

Great Idea John .... have a good break from this forum.... as for me I'm too addicted..:D

There is nothing offensive about what sibbers wrote, i can understand johnW has some emotional issues now with the funding issue and £ dropping, generally the best thing to do the exchange at the first opportunity instead of having to suffer from emotional stress without having the odds in your favor.

I personally care about results, not feelings. If johnW has an issue with what some people write in this forum i would suggest that he just keep updates on his site or something, maybe let someone else read this thread. I have some experience arguing with nazis and i eventually stopped reading their posts and ignored them.

You cannot really deny that mdac2 has been delayed longer than expected, i personally do not really need a dac now so i am fine with waiting. While i dislike risking money we actually get a decent deal with the fdac and mdac2 compared to the competition(due to their 500% margins).

Of course having a business is stressful, not everyone is suited for it. JohnW has really high standards and he is unwilling to compromise, this is not really suiteble if you want to get rich, sure it is good for the people that backed the project(they get a very good product if delivered) but as a company you are better of delivering a compromise and later sell something slightly better.

Sibbers,

I'm sorry I don't operate as you "require" - but each to there own with no disrespect to anyone - I'm deeply offended by your post.

There are two major goals pending, installation of the PnP machine expected September, and the MDAC2 design to be completed by then so we can build the PCBs'.

Once the PnP machine has been installed the Streamer PCBs and Detox will proceed the MDAC2 boards - subject to component availability.

I've temporarily blocked Adams post because his constant negativity only knocks me down so much I find it hard to concentrate on the design - it was not a decision I've taken lightly but Adam has recently just constantly been driving attacks against me - this really has a very negative effected on my ability to work on the project.

I can see that your trending the same direction so sorry to everyone I'm going remove myself from the forum for a week or so while I work on the MDAC2 PCB - I CANNOT handle the mental distraction your post causes me.

I'm sorry to everyone else, I did see this forum as a place to give updates as they happen, and to have a "family" of friends as I work on the design - but I'm under so much work pressure ATM something has to give - so I'll be back with project updates on the 15th... :(

I'm truly very sad but I need to complete the design without being "Hit" almost daily.

Hi John, I'm sorry you are offended.

You are entirely likeable and honourable which is clear from the engagement you have with all of us, and the work you've done fixing up old MDACs for next to nothing. I have great admiration for your skills so please don't feel attacked.

I do have sympathy, as do most of us I believe, but it is a little difficult to know what's going on and if I'm totally honest, I'm not confident I'll ever see an FDAC and I'm not even clear on any timeframes you've ever suggested - I really was very grateful to have been allowed to join this project so late, but that was several years ago and each year I look forward to March, then late summer, then Christmas because it's always nearly done.

I don't expect and wouldn't ask for a refund as some others have, but I do understand their positions also. You did stick yourself in this position and I haven’t seen Adam be particularly unkind per sé, but he has been holding your feet to the fire.

I thought his suggestion was a good one, but if you don't like it then I would have liked you to respond. I didn't realise you had blocked him, but ithink that's a shame and consider him to be on your side - he's doing you a good service as any good friend should.

I certainly won't be falling out with you over it and I sincerely wish you well, even if you don't believe that. I think you would do well to take a step back and when you return try and set expectations better. I think the stress you're feeling is largely because you do understand the position of your investors and things are a little bit out of control - it would do you no harm to admit that if it's the case. It might not seem like it, but I think everyone would and does already understand.

Cheer up John

Enjoy the sunshine .
Pop into the Mini Pivovar

Just returned ,back over September

Best Regards E and R

Sibbers,

Yes good idea to take a break maybe the moaners should as well ,if you haven't got how John works by now you never will.
It would be a good idea if people with faulty MDAC's take it to their dealers its not John's responsability he is not Audiolabs service dept.
I have not looked inside mine it works fine after 5 years or so if it breaks ill get a cheap temporary solution of the bay and not distract him from doing what we all want.

I am sorry but johnW is behaving like a child now, it does not matter how "nice" he has been in the past. Adam made a perfectly reasonable suggestion.

If johnW has too much trouble delivering maybe someone else needs to be in charge of the lakewest company, feelings and pride does not matter. It's not only my and others money at stake, it is also the technology itself. JohnW is also risking a big part of his own money on this and thus he has do deliver.

I am sorry but if JohnW fails to deliver mdac2 this year someone else needs to take over the management of this project. Also i think FDAC would require a lot more funding to actually become a good product, with that i mean millions of dollars.

Maybe develop an 8-channel and 16-channel version of fdac via venture capital, crowdfunding wont cut it.

The issue seams to be johnw spending time on stuff that isn't important
-detox.
-streamer module.
-repairing broken mdac:s
-vfet.
-'upgrading' existing mdacs with better components.

Now with this much money invested preteneing everything is fine is not an option. The thing is that i am not much better myself, i also tend to waste time on side projects and not focus on the main task.

There is nothing offensive about what sibbers wrote, i can understand johnW has some emotional issues now with the funding issue and £ dropping...

Exactly. You, Sibbers and adamdea are very much to the point!!! Quite interesting reaction from JohnW.

Yes good idea to take a break maybe the moaners should as well ,if you haven't got how John works by now you never will.
It would be a good idea if people with faulty MDAC's take it to their dealers its not John's responsability he is not Audiolabs service dept.
I have not looked inside mine it works fine after 5 years or so if it breaks ill get a cheap temporary solution of the bay and not distract him from doing what we all want.

+1

For repairs outside the guarantee you can contact IAG UK directly. They have a good technical service dept. I have a CDQ that needs repair, IAG told me a few days ago - £48 fixed labour charge + parts + return postage. They will repair to component level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back