advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what would be the deciding factor to go L3 ADC or just L2 AV Bypass.

I would only really want the ADC if it can convert my AV RCA into the DAC to XLR output, and then volume can be controlled by my AV processor, in some sort of AV Bypass mode ?

Love the look of the level meters, looks like folk will want to mount the monoblocks stacked, shame to have those too far apart. I assume these will be mounted horizontally in the middle of the front panel?

Got an evening with my oldest friend tonight listening to music, will be a great way to decide if I join your very special club for the VFETs (assuming you still have a place)

Here's a Picture of the Neon Plasma Tube Level Meter, the glow of the Neon Gas filled Tube I have on the lab bench is just a touch more Pink...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/VFet Level Meter Tube.jpg

The Argon Gas filled tubes are Pink / Purple... Not really desirable for the Amps front panel... Unless you want a Pink Level Meter!

Here is a Youtube Video of someone else efforts (these Plasma Tubes are NOS Russian Tubes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XnI8TIQt_k

The received wisdom is that a long interconnect is better than long speaker cables, so put your monoblocks right next to their respective speakers.

Love the look of the level meters, looks like folk will want to mount the monoblocks stacked, shame to have those too far apart. I assume these will be mounted horizontally in the middle of the front panel?

Got an evening with my oldest friend tonight listening to music, will be a great way to decide if I join your very special club for the VFETs (assuming you still have a place)

The tubes I plan to use are 140mm high:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/VFET Neon IN9.jpg

The target height of each Mono Block, excluding feet is 150mm - I'll discuss with the vendor what is the maximum size aluminium "block" they can handle on their CNC machines, at 150mm high the heatsink area will be adequate.

These are the 100mm versions :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/VFET 100mm Heatsink.JPG

We have two positions left for the VFET amps - one pair is reserved for Pierre :) leaving the last remaining pair.

(Misterdog and Sam - I have your units set aside for you) :)

The received wisdom is that a long interconnect is better than long speaker cables, so put your monoblocks right next to their respective speakers.

Yes, by far the best option!!!! short speaker cables, longer interconnects

Hi John,

1 other question on MDAC2 about the AV Bypass, with the input on RCA into MDAC2 can I get the output from the MDAC2 on the XLR? While understanding this is not a balanced input for the bypass, I'd like to be able to use the XLR output only to feed into the NC400. Thanks.

Yes, the RCA inputs is routed to the Balanced output in AV Bypass mode - with the XLR Negative signal phase connected to Ground in AV Bypass mode.

So this will allow a direct connection to your NC400's

This is what would be the deciding factor to go L3 ADC or just L2 AV Bypass.

I would only really want the ADC if it can convert my AV RCA into the DAC to XLR output, and then volume can be controlled by my AV processor, in some sort of AV Bypass mode ?

MDAC L2 will work for you - personally with so extra little cost for the ADC feature I'd choose the L3 if only for is resale value... (Not that suggest thinking about sellings ones MDAC2 or encouraging MDAC2 speculation) :)

Lol thanks John, but for me it may be L2 with better Resistors (Vishay) or L3 with lesser Resistors!! ;-) ...money just became a little tighter and looking for Overtime at work currently to gain these toys hehe

GREAT NEWS ON THE RCA TO XLR THOUGH!!!!

Rune.
That sounds like overkill ... Methinks. But how would they sound in an active system, I wonder? I know what I think. Don't forget our plan for a trip to pick up the VFETs.
Cheers,
Peter

John,
Can I reserve the last pair of VFET amps?
I would like to try bi amping these beasts :cool:

Rune,

The last pair, so thinking about it - then PM or Email me and I'll send the PayPal Invoice :eek:

2 Pairs of VFET amps!!!! WOW :cool:

I should add that since I decided to go for a fully bridged output stage design - these amps will be closer to 500W then 200W - that's a serious amount of power, thats 1KW per speaker if you have 2x pairs, Bi-Amped!

Sure you will never need that power - but power delivery will be effortless :D

I should add that since I decided to go for a fully bridged output stage design - these amps will be closer to 500W then 200W - that's a serious amount of power,

Sure you will never need that power - but power delivery will be effortless :D

Bloody hell! 😀

Bloody hell!

Well, let me clarify, they will be able to operate at such high power levels until the heartsinks reach their maximum operating temperature and then shut down to prevent over temp - so lets say 15 to 20 minutes, but with real Music this will never be an issue - so you have the 500W+ on hand into 8 ohms and silly power levels into lower impedance, the x24 output devices insuring plenty of peak current, and evenly distributed thermal dissipation.

To be honest, I've not looking into total output power as its more then will ever be need, its not an important design matrix for the VFET amp where my primary goal is sound quality.

I should add that since I decided to go for a fully bridged output stage design - these amps will be closer to 500W then 200W - that's a serious amount of power, thats 1KW per speaker if you have 2x pairs, Bi-Amped!
Will it still be compatible with ML hybrid speakers like Montis?

Some other speakers are not recommended to be connect to bridged amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back