advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, it's pretty easy to terminate cables with Speakons. You are getting what will almost certainly be one of the best amps in the world - do you really want to compromise on a cable connector?
Well, John could offer a couple of options for the owner to choose from. I trust that the non-Speakon option(s) John would choose would be on par with the amps.

Sorry, I don't really understand your problem - you are using the CK100pro with the MDAC's front panel headphone jack?

The MDAC in standard form has a dynamic range of over 122dB, this puts it up with the best - I cannot believe that the CK100pro's work with other products yet have problems with the MDAC as few products reach 120dB dynamic range... for example the Iphone is less then 100dB (that's atleast x10 higher noise).

Unless your MDAC is faulty....

Headphone amplifiers have typically far worst noise performance, at the MDAC's 122dB dynamic range your approaching thermal noise limits (say at around -130dB for the absolute very best) this limit applies to both Digital or Analogue domain level control as the thermal noise is always present in the analogue domain.

As I suggested earlier your best option is to visit your dealer to see if he can advise you, or you can send your MDAC with the headphones to me in Czech Rep. and I'll test the system for you FOC.

Yes, I hear noise if I use CK100pro with my M-DAC's front panel headphone jack. Since the noise level is independent to the digital volume setting, using a lower volume can't solve my problem.

You're correct, for the case of external headphone amplifier, when the M-DAC is off, there is still some noise with the amp with volume knob at maximum position, but lesser, compared with M-DAC turning on. At the volume normally use (~1/10 of volume knob), I can't hear any noise with M-DAC as source; For those volume I can hear noise from M-DAC, I think the IEM would be burnt out instantly if I really play some music from the source.
So, I think the SNR of my M-DAC is still very high, but I'm not sure if the case of using M-DAC front panel jack is a common problem of devices using digital volume, or mine is a faulty one.

Maybe I'll try to find another M-DAC and plug my CK100pro to it and see if this problem exist first.

Thanks a lot for your help. :p

At work we have some Luxmans (B-10 monoblocks) with both Speakon connector and also a pair of binding posts.

http://www.gzhifi.com/sa/images/201401/1389329853475278839.JPG

Could be a nice solution for all requirements.

The Luxman binding posts don't look too special but I actually quite like them, because of the oversize nut you can get them nice and tight.

Hi Jack,

Rear of Yamaha...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/as3000-sound07.jpg

Still looking....

Speaker terminals.

P1000634.JPG

My preferred connection, on a less is more type philosophy.

That's a really sensible arrangement

Speaker terminals.

P1000634.JPG

My preferred connection, on a less is more type philosophy.

Those speaker wires need twisting tighter inside the case, and both cables need to enter their terminals on the NCore board from the middle (The blue one is in the middle the red one is on the outside). This is in the manual and is to reduce loop area.

Nice arrangement though, be even better if the other end was directly soldered to the speaker ;)
:)

Those speaker wires need twisting tighter inside the case, and both cables need to enter their terminals on the NCore board from the middle (The blue one is in the middle the red one is on the outside). This is in the manual and is to reduce loop area.

Thanks for pointing that out, was starting to feel like a broken record repeating the thing about the direction of cables from the terminals. :)

Thanks for pointing that out, was starting to feel like a broken record repeating the thing about the direction of cables from the terminals. :)

I think misunderstandings have been inadvertently promoted by some rather ambiguous descriptions of the correct wiring arrangement, particularly over on DIYA. Your's and Sam's are clear though.

As there seems little consensus, how about a rectangular cut out on the rear panel, with a screw on plate which can be drilled to suit whatever ?. If the board terminals are as n-Core this would allow cable experimentation ?

Happy New Year to all.

If not Speakon, nothing beats Cardas. Installed these on my ex nCore NC400 monoblocks

- - > http://www.cardas.com/ccbp_s.php

Not the cheapest, but hey you asked for good ones. Available from HiFiCollective, also step up models available constructed with rare metals eg Rhodium.

/Lars

Here in Czech we have about 1/2 an hour before next year! So best wishes for the New Year!

If everything goes to plan, this time next year we will all be discussing VFET amps and differences between MDAC2 software versions etc. :) and waiting for the TDAC :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back