advertisement

PFM Special - a simpler and more affordable DIY loudspeaker design

I thought you did quite well, really.

The M26WR is good for 89dB/2.83V @ 1m. Should be at least twice the sensitivity (+3dB) compared to ES14s. If you think that is loud, you should hear what a quad of M26WRs do. :D

James

I'd love to hear a quad of these really super bass units. Why did they stop being produced? Very strange.

Interestingly I use to have to push the Epos14s pretty hard to get a decent scale of sound out of 'em, which lead to my other half complaining about the noise level. But the Specials really don't need that amount of wick, my other half no longer complains, unless it's a, '...but it's a song that just has to be played loud.'

I've linked the pics from the other thread to satisfy my pride. :D

2007_09130427.jpg

2007_09130428.jpg

And a xover shot.

2007_09130429.jpg

Still chuffed.

Just have to find my Dredd Zepplin album.

I'd love to hear a quad of these really super bass units. Why did they stop being produced? Very strange.
I'm not sure about the economics of loudspeaker driver production, but it may be that they have a finite supply of certain bits, or that the minimum production run numbers don't add up to the demand for them. Who knows. I'm certain it's got nothing to do with performance or reliability. Vifa has been in the habit of deleting certain drivers once they have been around for a few years too, regardless of how good or indifferent they might be. Try sourcing a pair of the highly regarded M17WH these days. They are rarer than rocking horse sh!t.

Interestingly I use to have to push the Epos14s pretty hard to get a decent scale of sound out of 'em, which lead to my other half complaining about the noise level. But the Specials really don't need that amount of wick, my other half no longer complains, unless it's a, '...but it's a song that just has to be played loud.'
Some people tell you a decibel is a decibel. But factor in compression, distortion and what-nots, you'll be surprised how loud a little tranny radio can sound. The first time I heard DBLs, I didn't realise how loud they were playing until I stepped outside and could hear my ears ringing. The 'Specials don't pretend to be DBLs, but relative to the ES14s you've got three times the loudspeaker. I'd suggest you take care with the listening levels lest your neighbourhood complain, never mind your wife. ;)

James

building your own speakers im in this sounds like to much fun not to try.
but as im getting started i have a few questions, and as im going im sure
ill have a more than a few more.
but for starters a speakers question. in looking for the vifa M26WR-09-08
i found a pair in australia for $169.95 each ( ouch )
and then in us the closed i found was this
http://madisound.secureserverdot.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1480
a similar speaker ? for half the price.

so my question is will the one at half the cost perform as well or will i be disappointed for all my efforts if i dont go with the M26WR-09-08. i just
cant tell if this aussie site is simple jacking up the price because they are hard
to find?

thanks, mike

Mike,

The Vifa M26WR-02-08 listed on Madisound is NOT the same driver and has markedly different parameters. The price for the correct M26WR-09-08 from Wes Components in Australia shouldn't be anywhere near $169.95 each. Try contacting them for a better price.

James

I paid $65 each back in May 2007, plus shipping from Oz and Customs & Excise tax. I don't remember which supplier Alan bought them for me from.

great thanks for getting back to me ill try contacting them for a better price
I've got a pair of these drivers, and I've since realized that I'll never have time to build the speakers. They've never made it out of their cartons, and are sitting waiting patiently in my junk room.

I made the mistake of buying them through a local speaker building shop near me, so paid more than I should have. However, I would be willing to match Madison's price on them. Whether this is useful to you depends on your location. I'm in Canada, so if you're closer to me than Australia, it might make sense to get them from me, as shipping can be a killer.

Mike Hanson

The M26WR-09-08 is one of the better kept woofer secrets. In my view, it is particularly well suited to UK listening environments, where it has a lower cutoff (-3dB) at around 60Hz in a sealed box (give or take 5Hz), and should be flat down to around 35Hz with typical room gain. It is also a fairly sensitive driver, offering no less than 89dB/2.83V/m and well controlled cone behaviour. Best of all, it's supposed to be a lower cost driver than my usual Scan-speaks. However, I did not count on it going out of production when I penned the PFM-Special design.

Anyone contemplating this DIY loudspeaker would be well advised to take advantage of existing stocks in Australia and elsewhere.

James

There is a pair of brand new M26WR-09-08 on eBay with a US$159 buy-now price if anyone is interested. Here is the link

James

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Bloody kids....second time the hoover has been out...

2008_07130145.jpg

Poor little MCA15RCY, it don't sound so good like that.

Garf,

You need to lose the shiny bolts. That's what's attracting their attention. On the bright side, the Seas M15RCY is affordable ... unlike some of the Scan-speak Revelators.

James

Garf has the only pair in existence (that I know about). My originals have been recycled.

James

Yep I own the only pair of PFM Special's in the world, unless there's a secret builder out there, please step forward. Built by my fair hands and still sounding very good, though I've had to move them around a little due to a wife induced rearranging of the room. But they are still impressive with really super, groovy bass; improved even more so with a Starfish preamp in the line.

I do have a nearly finished document full of building details, cut outs, costings, etc if you are interested.

The only people who have heard them are a few friends, the wife and a fair proportion of the neighbourhood. :p

I bought a set of the woofers in hopes of building one, but two kids and a glut of other speakers has prevented me from starting the job. Maybe one day...

Mike Hanson

Mike, I'm happy to let you have a copy my building notes, cutout sheets, etc.

The 9300 is a lovely little tweeter...

Is there a suitible replacement woofer for this project. I have the MCA 15RCY's & consider then a great mid. I also love OB hybrids. So perfect project if I hopefully there is a suitable replacement woofer. Please let me know of this is possible. Thanks
Joe

James,

if I was the designer, I'd stick to 25 mm, again for reasons of dynamics. Have you considered this Peerless tweeter? Cheap as chips, very low distortion and has been sounding good in a number of designs I've heard. It would free up a little money for the midrange driver for some people, I'd imagine.

Markus,

Your link takes me here (d-s-t dot com).

Stack

advertisement

Back