advertisement

PFM Special - a simpler and more affordable DIY loudspeaker design

Is there a suitible replacement woofer for this project.
The closest currently available equivalent woofer to the Vifa M26WR-09-08 is the Seas CA26RFX. The only material difference is the slightly higher sensitivity, which trades off a bit of bass extension, in the same box volume. This can be overcome by using an inductor with higher DCR.

James

The closest currently available equivalent woofer to the Vifa M26WR-09-08 is the Seas CA26RFX. The only material difference is the slightly higher sensitivity, which trades off a bit of bass extension, in the same box volume. This can be overcome by using an inductor with higher DCR.

James

$150 each! Plus tax, import duty, crap exchange rate. I need to earn more...

Well, I have some cash and I wondered about improving the the capacitor in the tweeter. I assume it is the cap inline with the tweeter C3011

3043176-lg.jpg

Any recommendations?

I've looked at the price of Mundorf 3.90 mfd Silver-Gold-Oil Caps and then wondered how such a high price could be justified.

I use the Mundorf silver/oil on my Ergo IXs and they're wonderful. I'd pay the price again, that's for sure. can't speak for gold version.

Mike, I assume you received the details I sent. Were they of any use?
I just spotted this, and much appreciate it. I'm in the middle of building new Avondale amps to replace my 135s, so hopefully I'll get to the PFM Special after that. (The woofers are waiting in the wings. :))

I'm on my Blackberry, in a meeting too :)

So it's a Silver/Oil or Jantzen Z-Superior then...my wallet will thank you!

Don't get me wrong the highs really sparkle. Grain, what's that! Now I have a AT33PTG in my LP12 I get sparkle all the way to the record label!

A bad thing has happened to my Specials, only a little thing though. The oak has cracked above Pinky's bass driver, along the panel glue line :( Only about a couple of mms. Nothing I can do about it. I mustn't have put enough Groilla glue on the baffle.

Out with the wallet and soldering iron.

Thank you all.

Edit: so, whilst my wallet is being pounded, is it worth replacing the inline cap on the mid? I can't remember the size, so cost may be an issue.

I just spotted this, and much appreciate it. I'm in the middle of building new Avondale amps to replace my 135s, so hopefully I'll get to the PFM Special after that. (The woofers are waiting in the wings. :))

Mike,

I just love my Specials you will too. Get your finger out and get making sawdust :)

I know you had some concerns about the original tweeter. As James says that SS9300 really is sweet. In fact can they still be brought?

Just shout if you need a hand, at a distance of course!

Yes, the SS 9300 is still available for US$129 each. It's a very nice-sounding tweeter, and robust to boot. The SS 9500 is even better and only a couple of dollars dearer, but the XO will need to be changed to accommodate it.

James

Well, took the plunge and bought a pair of Z-Superior Cap MKP 800 VDC 3.9 uF for tweeter duty.

I will report on whether I can hear the difference once fitted and working.

Garf,

Not to create an expectation bias, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

James

Well it has been a while since I made the change. Apart from the physical side of the new cap, which did pose a few problems squeezing it in to the Specials xover compartment, creative wire bending was called for.

So how does it sound? I could say I'm disappointed and I was, wholly disappointed, the sparkle was gone, the projection all messed up. I've lived like this for a while, not really able to settle to music. Then the first of two things happened. First I recapped my AA5 which livened things up. And second,I built a pair of NCC200 Voyager copies.

Now, I have no real explanation but my Specials are back on song (poor connection somewhere?) And the treble is in a different league to what I had before, and before I made the cap change.

These caps get my vote...

Thanks for the advice.

advertisement

Back