advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt III

I’m feeling guilty about abandoning my lovely Mexican Mustang for the last couple of months while I’ve switched back to banging out Monk, Mingus and Steely Dan extremely incompetently on the piano. So for penance I thought I’d offer up a guitar quiz question.

Who wrote this?

My chief complaint against some practitioners of heavy metal guitar from the early 70s through the early 80s is that I can immediately tell their distorted sounds are not really placing their amps at risk. To whatever extent I have a moral sensibility, this offends it.

It really isn’t much of a quiz as the answer is easily searchable. So in case you don’t want to have a guess, it was… (It’s well worth a full read, BTW!)

Poor dead thread, here's Psionic Audio with a 1961 Princeton.

Crumbs, shame we couldn't have actually heard it.. cabinet looks as new as replicas I build now, incredible for the age. Early VU & Stones used this brown 10w Princeton, so I guess I just put on Sticky Fingers to remind myself of one.

Some hamfisted work done, poor owner, this guy seems the biz to rectify it all.

My vintage Twin Reverb (beast) on it's way back from a UK expert pro's once-over. I'm now all excited after seeing this.

Capt

I have given my niece a guitar lesson. And been encouraged by both her excellent taste in music and knowledge of obscure 90s US indie music. Hearing a 17 year-old young woman with a broad Wigan accent say "Have you heard of a band called Guided By Voices?" is quite the thing.

Also her playlist is full of Pavement, The Pixies, Elliot Smith, Gang of Four and so on. I had assumed for her generation "Indie" meant your liked Ed Sheeran instead of Tylor Swift and am greatly encouraged.

What about current stuff e.g. Yard Act, TTSSFU, Whitelands etc etc? Liking Gang Of Four, whilst clearly absolutely superb taste, is the equivalent of my having a Frank Sinatra album at the point I bought Entertainment or saw them live with Delta 5 and Pere Ubu!

I have given my niece a guitar lesson. And been encouraged by both her excellent taste in music and knowledge of obscure 90s US indie music. Hearing a 17 year-old young woman with a broad Wigan accent say "Have you heard of a band called Guided By Voices?" is quite the thing.

Also her playlist is full of Pavement, The Pixies, Elliot Smith, Gang of Four and so on. I had assumed for her generation "Indie" meant your liked Ed Sheeran instead of Tylor Swift and am greatly encouraged.
Wow, that's really heartening matthewr. Boy she knows her stuff- huge respect. That's the best era of modern music bar none right there, the US stuff ~1st half of 90's: kicks punk into touch. Elliott Smith! Pixies! Pavement! Never bettered & still my playlist today.

Please send her these 5x essential 90's US indie album recommendations from me:

Sebadoh: 3
Sebadoh: Bubble & Scrape
Fugazi: 13 songs
Fugazi: Repeater
Ween: Chocolate & Cheese

She likely knows fugazi, & defo the breeders of course: & if she's -very- adventurous, which seems possibly so..

Trumans Water: Of Thick Tum
Ween: Pure Guava

Capt

Last edited:
@Tony L well then Chris has his own channel, he didn't tell me about this.

Never seen those trapezoid tube boards before- makes it all look super complicated. And that tolex? very strange: your PR6 has prolly sun faded (a bit yellowy?) but going a nice even olive green-? Bizarre. I bet it sounds ace.

Capt

Funnily enough I went to a Pixies gig a few weeks ago and was surprised that all the young people knew every word of every song.

That lifts my soul, really does. My goodness they looked old in 06 when I saw dolittle live (at brixton, unfortunately, my swansong-bookend last gig I went to) they must look geriatric now. Was CT using two vox AC30's with attenuators ontop? Or just those boring marshalls.

Capt

I’m still enjoying the book by the not-really-a-mystery-musician that I linked to above. The piece on his friendship with and appreciation of Robert Quine made me laugh out loud twice.

“He once made me a cassette of rare Ike Turner tracks from the 50s. On it, Turner, playing a (newly invented) Stratocaster Tremolo bar guitar, takes this insane solo, completely noise/punk. Robert copied the solo three times on my cassette just in case I missed it.

“…He once insisted I accompany him to Manny’s on 48th St. to try out the ‘Buzz Box’, a particularly horrible distortion pedal. The box’s black metal covering was painted in drips of yellow paint to simulate strands of vomit. I bought it instantly, and it was a point of pride with Robert, after Manny’s discontinued selling the Buzz Box, that the store had sold only three of them; to him, to me, and to another customer who had sent it back assuming it to be defective.”

I get the distinct impression that Robert Quine would tick most of the boxes on the Marchbanks guitar hero list. It’s possible the only thing I’ve heard him playing on is the famous Richard Hell song, and I don’t remember that beyond the lyric. Do any of you guitar buffs have a must-hear Quine recommendation to get me started?

Last edited:
I keep it covered under an amp cover as I have a cat that may possibly shred the grille-cloth, as such it still looks pretty much mint!

Glad to hear the PR6 still in perfect shape. Your brown for some reason, is quite easily UV affected, unfortunately. Possibly some form of UV protect laquer may exist for tolex: I shall investigate after seeing that curious olive ToneKing.

Capt

@Marchbanks amusing post, & I must say -you- have a (better) way with words.

In your post above, I overlooked Quine is a person! I looked 'quine' up as being a (philosophical) noun.. & was rather impressed at your sudden jutting off into philosophy on a guitar prattle thread! Haha. FFS I'm sleep deprived.

Capt

I get the distinct impression that Robert Quine would tick most of the boxes on the Marchbanks guitar hero list. It’s possible the only thing I’ve heard him playing on is the famous Richard Hell song, and I don’t remember that beyond the lyric. Do any of you guitar buffs have a must-hear Quine recommendation to get me started?

Here's Quine at his most accessible:

advertisement

Back