advertisement

War declared, Israel v Palestine...

As an NYT subscriber, who peruses it every day, I haven't found this. In general, the coverage has been balanced, managing reasonably well to balance the need to do something about Hamas's horrific actions, with the need to stop the Israelis' even more horrific actions. You have Bret Stephens, who, with regard to Israel, always reminds me of the line in Tom Lehrer's The Wienerschnitzel Waltz - "I was blind to your obvious faults" - and then you have Tom Friedman, who believes that Israel is doing itself no favours. The NYT can sometimes be too sensitive - I wrote a comment to one of the Stephens pieces, to the effect that the Israelis have learned all the wrong lessons from the Nazis, in that they have discovered the art of the excessive reprisal. It didn't get published.
Hoisted by your own petard, me thinks, tones. A newspaper that's 'too sensitive'? Give over. T'is such a polite euphemism tho'.

John

Last edited:
As an NYT subscriber, who peruses it every day, I haven't found this. In general, the coverage has been balanced, managing reasonably well to balance the need to do something about Hamas's horrific actions, with the need to stop the Israelis' even more horrific actions. You have Bret Stephens, who, with regard to Israel, always reminds me of the line in Tom Lehrer's The Wienerschnitzel Waltz - "I was blind to your obvious faults" - and then you have Tom Friedman, who believes that Israel is doing itself no favours. The NYT can sometimes be too sensitive - I wrote a comment to one of the Stephens pieces, to the effect that the Israelis have learned all the wrong lessons from the Nazis, in that they have discovered the art of the excessive reprisal. It didn't get published.
Well, I don’t doubt your sincerity but I’m perplexed in relation to the disparity of our respective viewpoints, characterised by your emphasis on balance. There can be no balance, regardless of how horrific Hamas’s attack on October 7th was, between (aside for the US) the most powerfully equipped army in the world and 31,000 dead Gazans.

I don’t subscribe to NYT, but have read several reports of its editorial slant, of which the following is typical.

Well, I don’t doubt your sincerity but I’m perplexed in relation to the disparity of our respective viewpoints, characterised by your emphasis on balance. There can be no balance, regardless of how horrific Hamas’s attack on October 7th was, between (aside for the US) the most powerfully equipped army in the world and 31,000 dead Gazans.

I don’t subscribe to NYT, but have read several reports of its editorial slant, of which the following is typical.

I don't think our viewpoints are really that far apart, in that we agree that the Israeli response has been horrendously excessive. Ignoring for the moments the political machinations of Netanyahu to retain power (and avoid a potential stint in jail), there surely has to be some degree of balance, in that Israel couldn't simply ignore the monstrous attack of Hamas. The question is, what to do? They are faced with an enemy not interested in sharing, only in destruction of the other side. In this, Netanyahu's Israel and Hamas are very much alike - Hamas wants Israel's total destruction, while Netanyahu wants the same for any possibility of a Palestinian state. Netanyahu's more extreme Cabinet colleagues probably would be happy with Nakba, Mk.II, or even with Holocaust Mk.II. There even have been Israeli references to the Palestinians as "Amalekites", the perpetual enemies of OT Israel, who were wiped out.

But to return to the article, I see it as a reasonable discussion as to how best (least worst?) to react to the attack of Hamas. Hamas will obviously never be content with a Palestine state that shares with Israel what it sees as its land. And to a certain extent it's right - as Moshe Dayan said at the funeral of a settler, he understood "the bitter hatred they have for us, when they see us building their country on the land on which they and their fathers lived for generations". But that's all effluent under the bridge now - eventually, the two sides will have to share Palestine in a peace that hopefully isn't the peace of the graveyard.

Euro-Med: Israel’s attacks on academics in line with Gaza ‘genocide’

The Geneva-based Euro-Med Human Rights Monitor says the Israeli military has killed three university presidents and 95 university deans and professors since the start of its war on Gaza.
“The deliberate and pervasive targeting of educational institutions is an additional manifestation of the ongoing crime of genocide Israel has been committing since October 7, 2023,” the rights group said in a post on X.
Israel's targeted attacks have killed many academics in #Gaza, especially those with advanced degrees.
The deliberate & pervasive targeting of educational institutions is an additional manifestation of the ongoing crime of genocide Israel has been committing since 7 October 2023 pic.twitter.com/paCbb1MmcG
— Euro-Med Monitor (@EuroMedHR) March 24, 2024

Sneaky bastards, making aid contingent on not seeking to prosecute possible Israeli war crimes

That is absolutely disgusting and proves beyond any doubt America is a willing partner in this genocide/ethnic cleansing and seeks cover-up war crimes and assist their perpetrators.

The text quoted above is accurate and even more damning when seen in its full context. Here is the document (the appropriate section can easily by searching for ‘ICC’). This is a truly disgraceful time in our history. Giving a free pass to the most radicalised genocidal war criminals and rapists of the IDF really is as low as it gets.

53610009988_66ed097aa9_z.jpg

That is absolutely disgusting and proves beyond any doubt America is a willing partner in this genocide/ethnic cleansing and seeks cover-up war crimes and assist their perpetrators.

America has been subjected to 76 years of gaslighting on the subject of Israel. They've been painted as those plucky, independent, democratic individualists making a paradise out of the uninhabited desert for so long that it's difficult to undo the effects of the propaganda. We've all been led to believe the Leon Uris version of the story. If you say "Stern Gang" or "King David Hotel" to an American, you'll get a blank look.

The truth of 76 years of ethnic cleansing will be a hard sell over here. The Israelis have been playing the same game for so long, and it works - a continuous program of oppression and incremental land grabs, until the Palestinians finally lash out and the Israelis can point and cry "They started it!", swat the Palestinians down and grab some more land. It's been the same playbook all along.

Americans are only slowly coming around to this reality, it flies in the face of generations of propaganda and conditioning.

First resolution calling for ‘immediate ceasefire’ since start of war

Reporting from the UN headquarters in New York
This is the first time since the start of the war that the Security Council has been able to agree on language that demands an immediate ceasefire in a draft resolution.
It’s certainly very significant because Security Council resolutions and drafts, when they are adopted, become international law and all parties need to abide by what’s in them.
What we got here though is some very much last-minute negotiations for this draft. It’s very short, succinct and to the point.
Only two really key parts – a demand for an immediate ceasefire for the month of Ramadan [only 2 weeks left], leading to a “lasting and sustainable ceasefire”, and an emphasis on the urgent need to expand the flow of humanitarian assistance.
The key is now what happens after the month of Ramadan, because that’s where this can be left to interpretation. Those will be the questions that will be asked in the coming hours and days.

advertisement

Back