advertisement

Bitcoin

In my app store you can now buy my latest PFM app which will render Mick's posts in a cursive font shown either as a framed print for hanging on your wall or, for an additional fee, on scatter cushions.
Could you supply an embroidered sampler for an extra fee?

Manipulated, by who?

Do your research, make your choices, no different to investing in the stock market. If you’re risk averse it’s not for you, it’s pretty simple really
Nobody can actually be as naive as this post. So I can only conclude you just don't have any compassion for anybody.

Most commodities rise in value and then down, only to rise again and then, once again, go down. If you haven't clocked onto that by the age of 21, you shouldn't even be allowed to walk the streets by yourself.

For every winner there is a loser, that is the only fact you need to remember.
Then again there's 99% of the population for which all of that is totally irrelevant and they couldn't care less. so they have no reason to "clock on to that by the age of 21".

Some of the derision on this forum for normal human beings who aren't know it alls or may have some human failings is beyond the pale.

Then again there's 99% of the population for which all of that is totally irrelevant and they couldn't care less. so they have no reason to "clock on to that by the age of 21".

Some of the derision on this forum for normal human beings who aren't know it alls or may have some human failings is beyond the pale.

Is it not the catchphrase of tradfi investing though? you see it and hear it everywhere - "the value of your investment may go down"

Is it not the catchphrase of tradfi investing though? you see it and hear it everywhere - "the value of your investment may go down"
Of course. Corrections are (unfortunately) a fact of life and all you can do is try and cushion the ride a bit by holding (hopefully) non-correlated assets. Though in practice that doesn't always go so well either.

It's just the scale of the crypto swings that scare me!

With the greatest of respect, the last thing that anyone does is invest in something that is clouded in mystery and has a history of high risk. If you have the necessary acumen then fair enough but experts are in a distinct minority.

It's like Mr Average who bets on the Grand National once a year, they know nothing of the form and it's all down to pure luck that they pick a winner. Even the expert punters know its a risk, let alone for total novices.

If you buy any investment, it's good if you show a profit and tough conkers if you make a loss.

If you buy any investment, it's good if you show a profit and tough conkers if you make a loss.
Obviously any individual asset can bomb, and nothing is a sure thing, but history suggests a properly diversified portfolio - over the long term - should provide a modest return in most cases.

If that wasn't the case we'd all just be sticking our retirement savings on a three legged nag when we get to 65 and crossing our fingers.

I still feel like we are missing the point here.

We do not allow ordinary people to buy things like derivatives for very good reasons. You have to be a "sophisticated investor" (by regulatory standards) to even work in the industry let alone trade. We also strongly regulate financial markets to protect against moral hazard amongst market participants.

But BTC is basically a shit derivative with a bucket load of moral hazard on top and everyone thinks it's just fine.

Well not everyone -- the people who think it's fine are either rubes or, however tangentially, part of the grift.

We do not allow ordinary people to buy things like derivatives for very good reasons. You have to be a "sophisticated investor" (by regulatory standards) to even work in the industry let alone trade. We also strongly regulate financial markets to protect against moral hazard amongst market participants.
Though anyone desperate to throw their money away can open a retail spread betting account.

Is there any regulation beyond a pop-up saying 'most people lose loads of money'?

I still feel like we are missing the point here.

But BTC is basically a shit derivative with a bucket load of moral hazard on top and everyone thinks it's just fine.

Well not everyone -- the people who think it's fine are either rubes or, however tangentially, part of the grift.
Slightly sweeping statements.
Plenty of 'ordinary people' have made money beyond their wildest dreams on Bitcoin. Just "taking a punt".
No responsible person suggests putting more than 10% of your liquid (not house) funds into Bitcoin.
Most people (including me) are not quite sure if Bitcoin is a Ponzi scheme or a paradigm shift into the future.
Looking at the general rise in value (despite several corrections) I'm guessing more people have made money over the last 9 years than lost...so far.

No responsible person suggests putting more than 10% of your liquid (not house) funds into Bitcoin.
Most people (including me) are not quite sure if Bitcoin is a Ponzi scheme or a paradigm shift into the future.
Fair enough. Not for me but as I posted upthread I can see the case for allocating a small percentage of a portfolio into a high risk investment.

The thing that scares me is when people espouse it as the One True Religion. That traditional investments are all gamed by The Banksters and fiat currency is a government scam. Then it starts to look a bit like a belief system rather than a rational investment choice.

I file those folk with the God, Guns & Gold preppers.

This will probably make me sound like a gullible sheeple but that's exactly what goldbugs have been saying for decades - that hyperinflation is just around the corner - so you better stock up on bullion, baked beans and bullets. Hasn't happened yet.
The apocalyptic narrative always accompanies the new paradigm rhetoric.

On a personal observation, crypto seems to be a gateway to alt right politics for some.

Cash has recently earned about 5% and if that is saved in an ISA will be tax free and will beat current inflation.

DV
You might find windows like that for six months or so every once in a while, but nearly all the time cash is guaranteed to deflate because it's intrinsic. If it wasn't, nothing would ever get done because all wealth would be in cash.

The thing I don't really get is when the Hillary Clinton Satanic Illuminati New World Order kill off 95% of the global population with their chemtrails and enslave the rest with Bill Gates covid hoax nanochips.... how is anyone going to access their crypto?

advertisement

Back