advertisement

Bitcoin

wacko

pfm Member
We have mentioned Bitcoin on various threads but only in passing.
It has hit an all time high around $70,000 having risen 150% in 6 months.
Are you buying ? Did you buy ? it is all going to end in tears or will it reach $1 million ?

It isn't really investing though is it? It's just gambling, taking a punt. Some winners, many more losers. The value doesn't seem to be linked to anything tangible or reliable, just sentiment. Not for me. If you have excess cash to burn and like to gamble, then why not?

I dabbled for a while in the markets and I hated what it did to my peace of mind, and to me. Made a few quid, but very relieved to exit. Turns people into ****ers IMHO. Building society and NS&I for me. I appreciate the fact that my money is still there at the end of every day and never disappears overnight.
My best ever investment has been land. Unbeatable. (which is why the toffs own most of it, natch)

It's entirely possible to make money our of Bitcoin although you are trading the volatility and price movement not the underlying asset. i.e. the opposite of the HODL trade.

The downside is that it is highly immoral to do so. It works like a leveraged, derivative trade except retail investors are somehow allowed to take part in the market with what the regulators call "sophisticated" participants. That is, you have to be ok with the people on the other side of the trade being average Joe's who will likely be losing their house to pay your off. And this is tasking it at face value and not even considering how most of it's value gains have been literal pump and dump cycles driven by the very worst sort of people.

I ummed and arred about crypto a while back and decided in the end that the colossal energy consumption involved made it a no no for me.

edit: also assets that can lose 2/3 of their value in 12 months make me nervous.

Graphic from random first webpage Google gave me. But you get the idea.

GxtdaQl.png

Is it not going mainstream now after the ETF approvals ? In USA at least.
I'm pleased to see the ECB has not changed its stance.
If it is a house of cards it is a very big one now...

It's also slow. Transactions take about a minute to be completed in Bitcoin... for comparison, interbank clearing systems do thousands every second.

Bitcoin is not fit for purpose as a global transaction ledger: it simply cannot expand to the necessary volume of transactions. It is however ideal as a place to hide money, and a number to gamble on.

Honestly if more US states would just legalise gambling, we'd have less of this nonsense posing as "investment"

A Ponzi scheme for criminals. As with all bubbles there's a lot of money to be made for some until it goes pop.
It may be a bit more than that. There is a rumour that Blackrock (possibly the largest investment company) have been buying. Big time.

It may be a bit more than that. There is a rumour that Blackrock (possibly the largest investment company) have been buying. Big time.
Pretty much all the big investment banks investment management peeps have large crypto holdings.

By that logic perhaps I could interest you in some subprime mortgage derivatives?

advertisement

Back