advertisement

Is it too late for Biden to retire?

Do The Times crossword in less than 4 hours, run 100 yards and then make a speech, 20 press-ups, play chess against the computer and survive for at least 5 moves.
And be able to spell their own name of course.

* Citation needed.
10-1055-s-0035-1555115-i00674-1.jpg

It's pretty well established.

Despite Biden's lapses in sentences I still feel he is a far safer bet on foreign policy than Trump. Just study the Trump supporters it will reveal why they were chosen by Trump and why they are so easilly manipulated; reminds me of certain person who rose to power in Europe in the 30's...

It's pretty well established.

I'm a psychologist and BPS authorised psychometric test user and if you look at the data for Raven's Matrices, a common IQ test, it shows that the higher your IQ in the first place the longer it lasts into old age. It's not a level playing field. Explains why many brilliant minds were still active in their 80s in all sort of fields like the arts and sciences. Plenty of musicians and conductors, Verdi etc.

London Times or New York Times?
Good question! Either? Both? 30 years ago The Times would have been harder than the NYT, but with The Times' decades of dumbing-down maybe the crossword is easier these days? I don't know, I tried a few times and was completely baffled.

I don't often agree with the NYT's Ross Douthat, but this seems to be a reasonable idea:

If the Democrats stick with Joe, only a miracle will save the USA and the world from Trump, Mk.II, and miracles tend to be somewhat in short supply these days.

If the Democrats stick with Joe, only a miracle will save the USA and the world from Trump, Mk.II, and miracles tend to be somewhat in short supply these days.

Not a miracle needed, but fewer drama queens responding to every right wing scare story would help. Trump is in for a very difficult couple of weeks and old bone spurs himself has started slagging off those who serve again. Trump is not going to win and may not even get that far.

Not a miracle needed, but fewer drama queens responding to every right wing scare story would help. Trump is in for a very difficult couple of weeks and old bone spurs himself has started slagging off those who serve again. Trump is not going to win and may not even get that far.
I desperately hope that you're right, Steve, but it seems to me that this business about his memory, which, while it may be a bit of a hatchet job, will have a big effect on the US population, many of whom (Democrats included) were starting to worry about Biden's age. Trump says much more nonsense, but he gives the impression of more energy in these hour-long tirades. And an article in today's FT says that Trump leads Biden by 11% on who would better at handling the economy. It's nonsense, but individual perceptions are everything.

Biden would have been better being a one-term President and leaving the job to younger folk.

You seem to be forgetting that the West is losing it's mind. Reason and rationality are going out the window...

You seem to be forgetting that the West is losing it's mind. Reason and rationality are going out the window...
I disagree. A portion of the electorate has gone down the right wing / social media rabbit hole - but it was not sufficient to re-elect Trump in 2020 and there's no reason to believe 2024 will be any different. The UK electorate seems to have finally woken up to the damage done by the Tories (about f'n time too). The EU's response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine is still robust.

I think we've (temporarily?) lost about 30% of our electorate, but that is not sufficient to win national elections.

I disagree. A portion of the electorate has gone down the right wing / social media rabbit hole - but it was not sufficient to re-elect Trump in 2020 and there's no reason to believe 2024 will be any different. The UK electorate seems to have finally woken up to the damage done by the Tories (about f'n time too). The EU's response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine is still robust.

I think we've (temporarily?) lost about 30% of our electorate, but that is not sufficient to win national elections.

I really hope you're right Sean, but I have a very bad feeling about November 2024.

I desperately hope that you're right, Steve, but it seems to me that this business about his memory, which, while it may be a bit of a hatchet job, will have a big effect on the US population, many of whom (Democrats included) were starting to worry about Biden's age. Trump says much more nonsense, but he gives the impression of more energy in these hour-long tirades. And an article in today's FT says that Trump leads Biden by 11% on who would better at handling the economy. It's nonsense, but individual perceptions are everything.

Biden would have been better being a one-term President and leaving the job to younger folk.
Everyone who works with President Biden in private says his mental acuity is just fine.

Everyone who worked with President Trump in private says he is a deranged sociopath.

Everyone who works with President Biden in private says his mental acuity is just fine.

Everyone who worked with President Trump in private says he is a deranged sociopath.
I'm trying to imagine a TV debate between the two, and I'm afraid that Trump, with his energy, simple logic and arrogance, might make mincemeat out of Biden.

I’m with you, Steve. i think Biden has a much better chance of winning than many people think.

advertisement

Back