advertisement

Hash Browns.

These cheap 'n nasty American 'fillers' didn't appear in Britain until the early 1980s, so if you see them listed in a "Traditional" British breakfast, feel free to complain to the management. I wouldn't mind so much if I could just ignore them, but they now seem to be taking over from Black Pudding, which is disappearing from a lot of breakfast menus. This is unacceptable! :mad:

Rant over. I think I'll go and have a lie down now.

i quite like a hash brown or a a rosti is even better - potato cake is good as well. Best i have had recently was a full in English in a muffin

20231217_095155 by uh_simon, on Flickr

If you dont like it dont have it.

i quite like a hash brown or a a rosti is even better - potato cake is good as well. Best i have had recently was a full in English in a muffin

20231217_095155 by uh_simon, on Flickr

If you dont like it dont have it.
That's a watered down version of the Flat Breakfast, found in Leeds but generally only the east side of the city, the area dominated by former pit villages. A Flat Breakfast is larger amounts of what you have there but in a bigger oven bottom cake. You may wish to go into training before tackling one.

Oh, and I like rosti too. Hash browns are a bit dull but it's only bubble and squeak reinvented by the Americans.

When I saw that thread title, I expected recipes foe various cannabis cakes. :) I discovered hash browns when having breakfasts in Little Chefs whilst on my frequent retail survey trips (early 80s?). I was hooked with that combo of h. browns, bacon, beans and egg, followed by their delicious filled pancakes. Junk food was not an everyday thought in those days. Believe me, it took a lot of walking around shopping centres to dissipate those blow-outs !

That's a watered down version of the Flat Breakfast, found in Leeds but generally only the east side of the city, the area dominated by former pit villages. A Flat Breakfast is larger amounts of what you have there but in a bigger oven bottom cake. You may wish to go into training before tackling one.
of course everything is better in Yorkshire.............IME quality over quantity is best

These cheap 'n nasty American 'fillers' didn't appear in Britain until the early 1980s, so if you see them listed in a "Traditional" British breakfast, feel free to complain to the management. I wouldn't mind so much if I could just ignore them, but they now seem to be taking over from Black Pudding, which is disappearing from a lot of breakfast menus. This is unacceptable! :mad:

Rant over. I think I'll go and have a lie down now.
🤢🤢🤢

How very dare you! It's the food of the Gods.

(Having said that. I have to admit that a lot of the Black Pudding south of the border is truly awful. The worst being that Bury Black Pudding sh*te that they seem to flog in most supermarkets. Irish and Scottish Black Pudding is usually excellent).

I discovered hash browns when having breakfasts in Little Chefs whilst on my frequent retail survey trips (early 80s?). I was hooked with that combo of h. browns, bacon, beans and egg
One of the many joys of living on the SE London/Kent borders is that we still have several branches of Wimpy. Sitting in the cosy window booth of the excellent Eltham branch devouring an all-day veg breakfast (wish hash browns!) is a real treat.

I used to see cheap food outlets advertise 'breakfasts served all day' I thought then and now that this was linguistically an impossibility, though I s'pose it depends upon whether breakfast is determined by time or meal. I'll go with time as the determiner.

How very dare you! It's the food of the Gods.

(Having said that. I have to admit that a lot of the Black Pudding south of the border is truly awful. The worst being that Bury Black Pudding sh*te that they seem to flog in most supermarkets. Irish and Scottish Black Pudding is usually excellent).
Proper Bury black pudding, from Bury Market, is a lovely thing. The supermarket stuff is usually a pale imitation. Avoid the stuff that comes in slices if you can. Unfortunately, that’s the stuff you get in most hotel breakfasts, if they offer it at all.

advertisement

Back