advertisement

Should I buy an EV - real world advice needed.

I know - lets keep digging coal, drilling for oil and gas, keep cutting down forests, that should help things along nicely.
Jeez, so many incorrect facts in that lot - all of which have been pointed out in the thread - thankfully.

My boss has a Tesla. He really likes it but it didn’t really work for him in a recent round trip from Leeds to Solihull. Couldn’t get a charger near the meeting point so set off home & was directed to Derby for a charge.

Probably added circa 2 hours to his journey home. However, for the majority of his motoring it works fine.

It’s all about need. I do semi regular 200 mile plus round trips & ICE currently works better for me.

He must not do much driving, there's plenty of places on that journey just off either the 42 or M1 he could have charged up without making a severe detour into Derby.

Maybe he was only looking for a Tesla Supercharger, I mean if it were me and the nearest one involved a detour into Derby or any other location way off route then I'd just use the nearest non Tesla/regular charge point at whatever junction/services I was approaching.

A few months ago, the council car park in Ashtead, Surrey, had 1/4 of the front car park area converted for EV charging. Blink chargers I think. I use that car park twice a week, not always at the same time. I have seen 2 cars in total using the facility. Meanwhile, the locals are seen wandering around looking for a space.

I saw a chap approaching his BMW i3 so was urged to go ahead and ask him his experiences of this quirky looking EV car.

He purchased from new in 2016 and has got 100,000 miles clocked up with very little battery degradation - he's very pleased with his purchase and generally it has been very reliable all this time.

It's great to hear of others experiences.

Maybe he was only looking for a Tesla Supercharger, I mean if it were me and the nearest one involved a detour into Derby or any other location way off route then I'd just use the nearest non Tesla/regular charge point at whatever junction/services I was approaching.
Apparently you press home on the nav & it’s supposed to take you to the nearest one on route.

Nearly £900 per month for the lease on 5k per year?

It’s 9+23 at £347.25 + VAT. Even for an individual that’s £11,112 +VAT = £13,334 / 24 = £555.60 amortised Inc VAT. If you bought one for £75K, you’d be losing £300 a month interest on the capital alone. What’s the depreciation going to be in 2 years? Tens of thousands rather than thousands IMHO. I’d call it a cheap deal. For a business owner, it‘s bribery in action.

It’s 9+23 at £347.25 + VAT. Even for an individual that’s £11,112 +VAT = £13,334 / 24 = £555.60 amortised Inc VAT. If you bought one for £75K, you’d be losing £300 a month interest on the capital alone. What’s the depreciation going to be in 2 years? Tens of thousands rather than thousands IMHO. I’d call it a cheap deal. For a business owner, it‘s bribery in action.
I’ve clicked on the link & it says just under £900 on 48 months.

I am seeing 9+47 with 5k miles per year at £898 monthy payment on a personal contract. Doesn’t seem that cheap to me.

advertisement

Back