advertisement

Cranage 2023

I went on Saturday and overall I did enjoy it (though some rooms were always too busy so missed a good few).
A few pics but didn't note down the kit in the rooms etc, sorry.

20230617_095649.jpg

20230617_103915.jpg

20230617_103506.jpg

20230617_111819.jpg

20230617_110815.jpg

20230617_111400.jpg

20230617_104157.jpg

20230617_100841.jpg

20230617_111759.jpg

20230617_113718.jpg

20230617_114030.jpg

20230617_122758.jpg

20230617_120223.jpg

20230617_134937.jpg

20230617_131829.jpg

What did you think of the Eversolo in the AE room. Looks like they were playing electric warrior.

a lot of hype around it but if it’s as good as postulated it could be a bit of a disrupter.

.sjb

I went and enjoyed it. There were a few things that really annoyed me:

- In most rooms, I didn't know what I was looking at or listening to. Many rooms were run by retailers or distributors. Why don't they just put a label on top of the speakers in big font so we know what we're listening to?

- Oh my lord, I know the choice of music is a personal thing, but all this wishy washy, plinky plonky, plucking strings, breathy vocals, drenched in reverb, I just had enough of it after a couple of hours. I didn't hear classical or rock in any room.

As for the kit, I'm not much of an expert as I don't swap my components much. Because I take the view that 90% of the sound is determined by the speakers, I see these events as loudspeaker demonstrations really. And I was most impressed by small 2 ways. The Falcon LS3/5a's were amazing - how can such an old design sound so good? I also liked the small PMC (?) 2 ways (on dem in a couple of rooms). But my favourite, and I remember them from last time, had a name like Serhan & Swift Brigadier Mk2. Silly money for a tiny speaker but to me, the best thing in the show, regardless of cost.

(Major disappointment for me was the Luxman amps. Always liked the look of them. But I "fondled" one and scratched my finger. All sharp edges and rough finish. Couldn't believe it really.)

Apologies to The Flash.. I knew there was another Fishie exhibiting there but couldn't recall who, so missed him. Still.. what do I know anyway?
No need for apologies. I'm a long way from taking a trade room at such a show, partly because I need to contrive a hard-wired ethernet connection for my Superswitches to do anything...
I was there today as a "civvie", really enjoyed the show. As ever, some of the rooms suit some of us and some do not; and it changes depending on music choice, recording quality, whatever. I absolutely loved the Auden Distribution room for a couple of tracks (amazing cake was a bonus) as did my companion, told people it was a must-hear, went back later and it was bright and boomy... go figure.
The Kudos room was a highlight. Really impressed on all sorts of music but I had to stop myself chuckling at the sheer intensity and madness of Guitarmass by Infected Mushroom. Brilliant.
Another treat was one of the Mian Audio Distribution rooms where they were using the Serhan Swift Mu2 MkII. I looked everywhere for the non-existent subwoofer. Usually when small speakers "do bass" it is hugely compromised but not here. Colour me impressed.
Good to catch up with @Knipester whose Hex speakers look amazing. I was only able to stay and hear one track which showed their potential but ideally I'd have stayed longer and hear something familiar. One of my friends heard them later and was impressed and intrigued. Great to see hifi/music enthusiasts crossing the line and investing their precious time, energy and no doubt money in contributing to the happiness of fellow audiophiles - as I know you'll all agree! Good luck, Paul.

I went and enjoyed it....

I also liked the small PMC (?) 2 ways (on dem in a couple of rooms). But my favourite, and I remember them from last time, had a name like Serhan & Swift Brigadier Mk2. Silly money for a tiny speaker but to me, the best thing in the show, regardless of cost.
Serhan Swift Mu2 MkII I believe. See my own poat above. Amazing weren't they!

Serhan Swift Mu2 MkII I believe. See my own poat above. Amazing weren't they!
They certainly are. Actually, on reflection, I'm not sure it was the MkII on dem, which I have read have a matt finish (I think the ones on dem were gloss?)/ You are right about the bass. They seemed to produce every bit as much - and quality - bass as my Harbeth M30 with a REL sub.

For me, they were by some way the most "life like" speakers on show, as they were last time I heard them. Simply no hint of haze or veil. Just a shame they are so expensive. I don't understand why they aren't talked about more often. (In fact I don't think I've ever seen them mentioned on a forum, apart from me once trying to start a thread to which noone replied!)

They certainly are. Actually, on reflection, I'm not sure it was the MkII on dem, which I have read have a matt finish (I think the ones on dem were gloss?)/ You are right about the bass. They seemed to produce every bit as much - and quality - bass as my Harbeth M30 with a REL sub.

For me, they were by some way the most "life like" speakers on show, as they were last time I heard them. Simply no hint of haze or veil. Just a shame they are so expensive. I don't understand why they aren't talked about more often. (In fact I don't think I've ever seen them mentioned on a forum, apart from me once trying to start a thread to which noone replied!)
Start a thread!

Credit re: the video. That was an excellent and informative watch. Wish I could have been there in one sense but in another it absolutely confirmed stuff we’ve previously discussed about shows.

- bunch of overwhelmingly white middle aged blokes showing stuff to… white middle aged blokes. All that angst about the future of high end audio has clearly been overplayed :).
- the headphone section where there was a significant drop off in numbers because the younger demographic who actually do have an interest weren’t in attendance.
- the utter idiocy of using display banners behind speakers and systems both from a sound perspective and the rather basic perspective of wanting to read the damn things.
- the number of display banners which were in fact unreadable regardless because some design genius thought a tiny scripted font and lots of words was a great idea. Hardly reassures in terms of the design/marketing credential for certain products and definitely misunderstands that your audience is white middle aged blokes with ageing eyesight.
- the number of rooms wanting to make a song and dance about source, amplification, DACs, speakers, stands and cables instead of simplifying the system and saying “this is the product we think you should look at/listen to”. It’s just so basic. In the end you leave with a false impression because you don’t know why something is good or terrible or indifferent.
- old complaint but, goodness, the music is awful.
- the same fat bloke stood in multiple doorways blocking egress. Bravo. You are the show cliche to end all sh-w cliches.
- the lighting within rooms. Apparently “harsh” is the only achievable outcome. If I lit my system like that I’d be blind within the week.

I’m only about half way through the video, but it seems far more varied than the usual girl with guitar or dad-rock/‘80s pop. Some stuff may even have been recorded this century!

Credit re: the video. That was an excellent and informative watch. Wish I could have been there in one sense but in another it absolutely confirmed stuff we’ve previously discussed about shows.

- bunch of overwhelmingly white middle aged blokes showing stuff to… white middle aged blokes. All that angst about the future of high end audio has clearly been overplayed :).
- the headphone section where there was a significant drop off in numbers because the younger demographic who actually do have an interest weren’t in attendance.
- the utter idiocy of using display banners behind speakers and systems both from a sound perspective and the rather basic perspective of wanting to read the damn things.
- the number of display banners which were in fact unreadable regardless because some design genius thought a tiny scripted font and lots of words was a great idea. Hardly reassures in terms of the design/marketing credential for certain products and definitely misunderstands that your audience is white middle aged blokes with ageing eyesight.
- the number of rooms wanting to make a song and dance about source, amplification, DACs, speakers, stands and cables instead of simplifying the system and saying “this is the product we think you should look at/listen to”. It’s just so basic. In the end you leave with a false impression because you don’t know why something is good or terrible or indifferent.
- the same fat bloke stood in multiple doorways blocking egress. Bravo. You are the show cliche to end all sh-w cliches.
- the lighting within rooms. Apparently “harsh” is the only achievable outcome. If I lit my system like that I’d be blind within the week.

Suggest you don't attend again.

Uts funny how room SQ changed from one album to the next. Aurender and active atc50s did it for me.

Last edited:
Suggest you don't attend again.

Suggest you read the post. I wasn’t in attendance. I watched the video. Suggest also that suggesting a middle aged white bloke doesn’t attend an event directed at middle aged white blokes would be the definition of shooting your self in the foot.

Suggest you read the post. I wasn’t in attendance. I watched the video. Suggest also that suggesting a middle aged white bloke doesn’t attend an event directed at middle aged white blokes would be the definition of shooting your self in the foot.

I thought from your description that you must have been. I attended and not all your points correspond with my experience. Anyway, suggest you don't attend in future.

First time I’ve watched one of the My-HiEnd guy’s videos of a place I’ve been. I didn’t go this year, but I’ve been to Cranage several times so know the layout fairly well. I do like his videos and this only reinforces that. I’m happy doing shows this way from now on! In person I find them a bit claustrophobic and just get really tired of the noise, and I hardly ever like the sound of a room, so really they are just a way to see what is happening, and this distanced approach works fine to be honest!

I thought from your description that you must have been. I attended and not all your points correspond with my experience. Anyway, suggest you don't attend in future.

So your experience didn’t match any of the video. Remarkable really. The stuff describe is in the video and thus indisputable. Why don’t you watch the video and then see of you can pick apart my post point by point. I don’t see how you can. It’s all there in glorious colour and it’s not like it’s a superficial five minute glance.

I also really liked the Serhan & Swifts, they manage to sound huge somehow. My annoyance is I was thinking of trying a pair (used) for my vinyl system which is in a small room, having heard them in that room, I think they may have way too much bass.

other small speaker highlights were the Neat Petites and the Falcon LS3/5as.

The ATC40s and 50s both sounded great but I think my favourite was the Devore O/93 with the Leben amp in the Audio Counsel room.

Overall a good show though I didn’t find as much interesting this year as previous ones.

advertisement

Back