advertisement

Cranage 2023

If I had to guess, this is all about compensating to achieve the mystical 92° stylus rake angle (SRA). I've seen tonearms raised by even more - which speaks poorly of the cartridge manufacturer. Alas, changes in record thickness alone are going to blow all these carefully achieved setups right to hell (you know, USB microscope, angle calculation software, etc....check out the Fremer link: https://www.analogplanet.com/conten...icroscope-set-92-degree-stylus-rake-angle-sra). It can be a bit obsessive.

I believe in careful setup, using a mirrored arc protractor and adjusting azimuth and VTA to get it close, and letting my ears fine tune the rest.

I would suggest that the 20mm or so height difference over the length of that arm isn't going to be affected too much by vinyl thickness :)

Yes indeed, Cranage. Popped over there on Sunday & 1 room I popped into was the Funk firms room - apologies if mentioned in this thread but can't be ars*d to flick through it all as read so little.

In the Funk room Arthur was demonstrating 3 turntables, a Rega P8 with the RB3000 arm, a Rega Planer 3 with Funk's cheapest arm & his own £11,000 Pink turntable with his top of the range arm & Houdini thing....

Now this clearly was an exercise to show off the Pink & his Tonearm but I couldn't really say that his Pink sounded the best or even to me noticeably above what was heard from the P8. This is almost a first listen to both turntables for me so had no bias or preference before the demo.

Did anyone else whom attended pop in & listen have thoughts on this? Just intrigued as Arthur was trying to bake up his engineering with superior measurements for the tonearms that was printed out from a Hi-Fi review/test.

Funk room was a bit busy and hard to assign any specific traits to what I listened to, all unfamiliar kit. I heard better elsewhere, but that was in quieter rooms with more familiar kit

Spent both days at the show, associated with one of the exhibitors for old times sake.

I think it’s sometimes missed just how much time and expense goes into a show. For us it was essentially a 5 day exercise. It’s easy enough to criticise - but remember no one goes there to disappoint people. Shows remain the best way to get a feel for what’s available and what can be achieved. It is just that though, you’d be really hard pressed to get a purchasing level quality of demonstration for a number of reasons, not least the bleed through from the rooms around. That’s what loan equipment and dealers is/are for.

And no, you can’t really play a 48 minute version of some niche special interest track no matter how “significant” it may be musically, or personally. However we did try to accommodate requests, but if you want one, it’s handy if you can bring it with you on appropriate formats, remembering many rooms run streamers - because it’s 2023. We tried the download route several times and it didn’t really work. We tend to try and play stuff appropriate for the current demographic of the room at the time, at that includes entire families - it was Father’s Day after all.

I didn’t get to every room, but I was impressed with some I went to, and went back the second day to make sure they were worthy of mention
1 audioemotion’s demonstration of the Larsen speakers
2 the 3 Square Audio room,
3 the Goldenear room
4 Neat’s Mystique Classic

The Kudos room was good, and so were the Serhan Swift Mu2 MkII but I don’t think they were entirely happy in their room.

We were of course happy enough with the sound in the room I was in, but it would be a bit crass to include that.
Hi, I'm Stuart from 3 Square Audio. Really appreciate your visit to our room (with Wire on Wire) Our Ayal loudspeakers did attract very positive comments inc a special mention in A British Audiophile show report, near the end.

This seems to have become a favourite at some shows. Music like this makes everything sound more or less impressive (like Yello would) so not really a bold choice.

That even sounds impressive on my built-in desktop all-in-one computer speakers!

advertisement

Back