advertisement

Andy Rourke (The Smiths) RIP

1406.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/may/19/andy-rourke-bassist-for-the-smiths-dies-aged-59

Don't often comment on RIP threads but this one gets a nod from me. Very very sad to read this. Met Andy and the rest of the band band at the Hacienda on 24th November 1983 (and again at the Free Trade Hall early 1984 - had a mate who did some of their sound) and he and Marr were really good to chat to, Morrissey less so :D The Smiths remain one of my favourite bands and that early 80s period in Manchester one of the best eras of my life... partly due to the soundtrack of the likes of the Smiths and New Order... RIP Andy, your music will live on.

John Robb on Radio 5 now talking.
Just dropped my daughter off to school pulled over to listen to him.
Really upsetting this, RIP.

Sad news today, as a long 'aired git in the early 80s I had to hide my admiration of The Smiths from all of my musical associates - but I was really turned onto them by Andy's contribution to 'Well I Wonder' - three musicians in absolute harmony.

RIP Andy.

The Smith's were one of those era defining bands.

I last saw him playing at the Westy in Aldershot backing Vinny Peculiar.

Very sad news, saw the Smiths at the Free Trade Hall, i remember the Sun wanted them banning. A great guitarist and some brilliant basslines alongsige Marr`s riffs. Shocked by this and sadly missed.RIP. Andy.

advertisement

Back