advertisement

A review of 15 high-end speakers on home demo, inc B&W, Boenicke, Magico, ProAc, Sonus Faber& Wilson

I did research the SE and SE+ and the cost of the materials is in line with the price difference once you factor a dealer margin from the increased price. So if the materials say cost £2k the price will go up by £2k plus vat plus a dealer margin on the £2k. Those figures are illustrative.

@duckworp

I enjoyed your writeup.
Just wondering what size granite chopping boards you have the W13s sitting on?
You mention the '...nasty bass modes around 48 kHz and 96 kHz...' in your living room.
How did you measure these? Were these then sent to Boenicke who programmed them into the DSP of your speakers while being made, or was it programmed into them when they arrived in the UK?
I've had my W8s with Swingbase for a year but will soon be trying the W11s and was wondering if I will need a larger size of granite for the W11s.

Last edited:
@duckworp

I enjoyed your writeup.
Just wondering what size granite chopping boards you have the W13s sitting on?

Thanks for your comments on the write up.

When I demoed the W8s I had them on the 40x30cm Argos boards ( http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8376956) but these did not fit the W13s and the only larger stone board I could find is a David Mellor Marble board at 50x35cm. It is somewhat thicker than the Argos version which is a good thing, but is pricer (£50), but it fits the swing base of the W13 exactly.(https://www.davidmellordesign.com/k...rrara-marble-serving-pastry-slab-david-mellor).

You mention the '...nasty bass modes around 48 kHz and 96 kHz...' in your living room.
How did you measure these? Were these then sent to Boenicke who programmed them into the DSP of your speakers while being made, or was it programmed into them when they arrived in the UK?
I've had my W8s with Swingbase for a year but will soon be trying the W11s and was wondering if I will need a larger size of granite for the W11s.

I measured the bass modes myself quite simply. I have a CD which played individual bass frequencies from around 20Hz through to 140Hz. Then with an iphone app (analyzer) using the iphone mic I measured the response to the bass frequencies at my listening position, and also to flat Pink Noise, and then cross-checked that with an ipad decibel measurement app (Soundmeter). I also overlaid that with what my ears were telling me at each frequency. All the measurement methods said the same thing. I sent Boenicke the graphs and these were sufficient for them to program the DSP into the bass amp modules before they shipped to the UK. The bass frequencies in the room, when I measure them now with my simple gear, are now completely flat.

When I move house the DSP can be programmed again: Boenicke will simply send the files to me, with the relevant software, for me to download into the speaker amps.

Thanks for the link for the chopping board.

I like all genres of music but do like to listen to a lot of electronic. How do find those low bass notes with your W13s, do you feel them in your chest?

Any idea how low your speakers go?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link for the chopping board.

I like all genres of music but do like to listen to a lot of electronic. How do find those low bass notes with your W13s, do you feel them in your chest?

Yes! With 2 x 33cm bass drivers on each speaker they certainly get low down the frequency range and will pump bass out big time when required. If you take a really difficult bassy track, like Trentemoller's track Vamp for example, it will punch you in the chest big time, in a controlled way. They are a sealed unit so there is no ported bass, this helps keep the bass really well-controlled: not lean so much but it is tight, with none of the soft loose undefined bass ooomph that some ported bass speakers give, especially when larger ported speakers get too close to a wall.

Avalon Idea (home demo)
First in the room were these smallish floor standers from the US company Avalon. The sound was fabulous with a real enveloping warmth. Acoustic music and the female vocal in particular sounded wonderful. Much better than the B&Ws in this department. They look good too. The downside was the bass, which really affected my bass modes and I got an unpleasant boom, even in older music from pre-digital days. There was no way they could stay with this boom, which is shame as with music without the bass boom they were a real delight. Music would put a smile on my face as it did stuff that the B&Ws just could not do. They didn't induce fatigue at all either.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the Ideas. I have just bought a pair and am delighted with them and certainly not experiencing the bass issues you mention but obviously that is down to the room. You mentioned using the Gaia feet on the B&Ws. Did you try them on the Avalons? Many owners recommend Stillpoints but I wondered if the Gaias would be a good alternative.

Is your amp the Vitus the RI-100?

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the Ideas. I have just bought a pair and am delighted with them and certainly not experiencing the bass issues you mention but obviously that is down to the room.

Yes it was down to the room. The Ideas are a wonderful speaker. A perfect size and such a lovely rounded, full sound. On female vocals in particular they brought a smile to my face, such an involving sound that draws you in.

You mentioned using the Gaia feet on the B&Ws. Did you try them on the Avalons? Many owners recommend Stillpoints but I wondered if the Gaias would be a good alternative.

I did not try them on the Ideas. It is worth trying both. They are different. Stillpoints reduce mechanical vibration by decoupling the speaker from the floor. Gaia (and Townshend seismic pods/bars and platforms) work by absorbing vibration through suspension. I have suspended wooden floors as I live in an old Edwardian house, and I wonder if this is why I get better results from absorption isolation since there is so much resonance created in the wooden floor. The Townshend/Gaia isolation absorbs the resonances. I also found Townshend seismic rack absorption (4 'seismic' corners placed under the corners of the rack) more effective for my components that stillpoints, which made little difference under my amp and cd player. But others find the mechanical isolation of stillpoints more effective. So definitely best to experiment.

Is your amp the Vitus the RI-100?

I have the SIA-025. I demoed the RI-100, and wrote a review here: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr...demo-naim-v-luxman-v-devialet-v-vitus.212299/

Thanks for that. I remember that amp thread now. I have an SS-010 and would love to hear the SIA-025 at some point.

Thanks for the extensive review and explaining your decision making and choice. I'm also glad that the you eventually bought a new pair of Boenickes (as opposed to a second hand pair) from the dealer, who clearly invested a significant amount of time and effort into your choice. Bravo too to the other dealers, who also spent time and money on helping you.

Thanks for the extensive review and explaining your decision making and choice. I'm also glad that the you eventually bought a new pair of Boenickes (as opposed to a second hand pair) from the dealer, who clearly invested a significant amount of time and effort into your choice. Bravo too to the other dealers, who also spent time and money on helping you.

Yes I think it is important to support dealers. I made sure that I purchased peripherals (such as isolation and cables) from the other dealers so that hopefully they did not feel out of pocket in enabling me to home demo speakers I did not ultimately purchase.

great write up!

I have standard W8s and would advise they take a lot of running in, well worthwhile and as passive not active they do need beefy amps - however it does depend at the hifiwigwam show in March we ran them with a John Wood KT88 amp with MASSIVE hand wound transformers, rated at 100w in 8ohm but with 4ohm taps and they went VERY deep and loud

they will be back next show in March for more fun and giggles

supporting good dealers is something that I 100% endorse, and the experience has also encouraged me to make further purchases from mine

@duckworp - great write up thank you. I have heard less than half of the speakers in your ‘review’ and many of those at shows. I found your article particularly useful because I too started with B&W 804 (the D3 version). I now have Boenicke and Kudos (yes very lucky - two different rooms) and I’ll explain how I got to where I am and my intrigue in your write up of the W13s.

Going back a stage, I commented on here 4 or 5 years ago about why I chose the B&Ws and all the speakers in a £6-7k price range I tried. At that time I was part exchanging my Focal Diablos. A bit like one or two of the speakers in your own review the Focals are stunning on first listen. But low level and long listening sessions aren’t quite as magical. I needed something more rounded and the B&Ws did it.

I went to the Ascot show just before COVID and heard two sets of speakers that amazed me (I’ve said this before in comments on here so apologies for any repeats!). They were Boenicke and Kudos.

In the Elite Audio room (dealers at the time for Boenicke) they were playing a variety of kit. I asked them what time the Boenickes would be on play - and I came back to the room a demo bit early. I was absolutely absorbed by the sound as I walked in and as they had several pairs of speakers at the front of the room I thought they were one of the larger pairs. Imagine my surprise when I got up and asked when Boenickes were coming on - and they were already playing! This was quite a big room - at least 25 listening in. They were playing W8SE and they were stunning. They sounded just as @duckworp described so I won’t repeat it. Organic is a word that applies to them in a way that no other speaker has ever done.

However, my last room visit of the show was Kudos and they. We’re playing 606s. Loved them. Just a big sound. More of everything compared to my B&Ws. Not wildly different tonally but more bass, control, detail - well everything. But to be fair they were at least 50% more expensive RRP than the B&W. And there’s the rub, in @Duckworp’s review he was comparing his B&W to very expensive speakers so you’d expect improvements. But the write up explaining the type of sound matches mine . Magicos for example, impressive in a Focal Diablo type of way but not long term.

Anyway, on the back of the Ascot show I wanted big Kudos. I found a pair of Titan T88 (the forerunner to the later 707s and some say at least as good as their replacements) at a very good price. Only an outlay of around £2k more than the sale of my B&W. They remain great and are my main listening room

However the Boenicke bug got me and I struck lucky on a pair of W8s for another room. I should say that along the way I had W5s which were fantastic for their tiny size but they went as soon as a cheap pair of W8s came up. (My wife took some persuading as the wood finish didn’t match the furniture - the W5s did!). Like others say, second hand Boenicke are rare because owners love them. My W5s only went for W8s.

Back to the end point of @Duckworp’s article. I’m intrigued as to whether W13s would be a significant upgrade on my Kudos (they would require quite an outlay) . There are very few Boenicke dealers so demos are difficult. They don’t stock the full range (standard, SE and SE+) so you can’t hear what you get as improvements at each level. And as others have said, buying expensive speakers really should involve an A/B comparison in the home. Pretty much impossible in my case as I’m in a remote part of Wales .

So @duckworp you’ve piqued my interest in whether W13 are a move to make (from the Kudos not the W8)! I think I wish you hadn’t! But thank you again for a very useful write-up…..

Now where is there a dealer with W13s

At home.

Here is a picture of the diminutive W8s on demo. They were not 'toppy' at all, whatever the 'data' says, and no fatigue set in. Quite the opposite. To hear the huge sound such a small speaker makes I think is quite remarkable. Though at Munich Boenike were exhibiting the absolutely tiny W5s which were sat next to the W13s and there were people in the room, me included, who really could not believe that it was the W5s that were wired up, going to look at the back to check.

IMG_0447.jpg

eLC8X9
Same experience as me - you can’t believe the scale of sound from the size of Boenicke speakers - phenomenal

Thanks for the great write up DW, I’ll be adding the w8’s to a shortlist when it comes time to upgrade my kudos’s.

Lovely looking sia-025 there, wish my ri-100 had that same slim look, won’t complain too much though as it’s a lot smaller than the stack of fraim it replaced and sounds stunning

@Paul Burke which Kudos do you have?

My two pennorth...heard Boenick speakers on three separate occasions at various shows. They have never sounded less than stop you in your tracks excellent, and I'd find it difficult to think of another brand I can say the same of.

advertisement

Back