advertisement

I think my system is more or less finished for the time being.

The turntable/arm/cart are more or less my dream combination - Thorens TD 124/SME M2-9R/Ortofon SPU Wood A - although I’d still like to try an EMT pick-up head one day.

The Icon Audio phono stage has surprised me as it wasn’t really intended to be permanent, but it’s combination of features - all valve, mono and ground lift switches - and appealing sound quality have made a very convincing case for keeping it long term.

WMiC0QM.jpg

The vintage Quad II monos were something I’d wanted to own for many years. I had a disaster 2 years ago with the current production Quad II Classic monos, involving loud bangs, buzzing and damaged new amps. These 1960s examples though, have been trouble-free and sound wonderful with my Klipsch Cornwalls. Love ‘em to bits.

The latest piece to be finalised is the line stage. It’s a Croft 25RLS. This single-box preamp was built by Glenn to use the transformers of a standard 25R but contains the audio circuitry and upgraded components from his flagship RSLS line stage. It’s dual mono, low gain and has really improved the system taking the place of a Tisbury passive. The bass tone and overall musical expressiveness have really been lifted with the Croft.

ij1DJAB.jpg

LTvMhw9.jpg

I was considering going 100% vinyl but I’ve decided to retain a digital source for convenience and music discovery. I’ve had a Roon Nucleus for a few years and just bought the Metrum Baby Ambre network bridge streamer which outputs files via optical or coaxial. I’m using my old Arcam airDAC currently but can’t decide how far to go in replacing it. It’s always done a good job when needed but I’d like to get something a bit newer. The vinyl sound of this system is fantastic but the digital side - whilst good - just doesn’t get me excited. So there’s something to work on there…

Stunning TT.

An Inspire hifi spec Heed Orbit 2 :)

I’ve been having issues with speed stability with the Thorens when our generator is on.

This little box has resolved that entirely, and made me very happy in the process :)

Robert at Inspire HiFi supplied the same Heed PSU for my Heybrook TT2s.
Works very well.
Had mine for many years now.

You know the rules, you need to list the kit…

…when you have a spare afternoon! :)

Well its already changed but here goes

X-Tension 10 turntable/
Yamaha CDN 500 used as a transport
Astin Trew Concord Dac one
Phillips cassette deck
Blusound Node2i
Pure AV Mains filter

Yamaha A S1200 amp
Quad QSP
Phillips CD104
Phillips CD960
Phillips CD880

Wharfedale Linton

Jf87dlE.jpg

Current system - Accuphase pre & A48 amp, Chord DAVE/ upscaler, Melco server, LP12, Naim DBL speakers on my DIY “Mana” copy soundbases, which work very well.
Blimey. You did get rid of the lot apart from your dibbles. I’m sure it sounds fantastic but, dare I say, it also looks a lot neater and pleasing to the eye.

Jf87dlE.jpg

Current system - Accuphase pre & A48 amp, Chord DAVE/ upscaler, Melco server, LP12, Naim DBL speakers on my DIY “Mana” copy soundbases, which work very well.
I'm sure the natural building materials Inc lack of concrete floor, mdf, cheap plasterboard etc adds a lot to make an overall warmer sound! Very nice listening room.

Just spent some time flicking through this thread. Some lovely pics (if that’s your kind of thing, and it is mine). Will clear some kids toys out the way and post a pic soon.

advertisement

Back