advertisement

Met police to hand in weapons and stop killing black Britons

It was stated that there was no lawyer present - Verso arranged a Lawyer for him later on:

"On arrival at St Pancras Station, Ernest was pulled aside by police officers acting under Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act 2000 and detained for questioning without a lawyer present, allegedly to determine whether he was engaged in terrorist acts or in possession of material for use in terrorism."

Yep, that’s how sched 7 works.

Sched 7 of the terrorism act 2000. It isn’t a new power by any means.
No, but it provides for a person to be apprehended for the purposes of determining whether the person "is or has been concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism."

Last time I looked, participation in demonstrations (even if disorderly) didn't qualify as 'an act of terrorism' (unless I've missed something else along the way).

Shameful!
What’s even more shameful is His Majesty’s Loyal Opposition comprehensive complicity with this erosion of civil liberties. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see moves to completely prohibit industrial action in the NHS and transport.

A very contentious and much challenged piece of legislation , for sure .

Went through on the nod as I remember. Hystera has often been used as a cover to remove liberties - it was the same with the Prevention of Terrorism Act but this one goes much further.

No, but it provides for a person to be apprehended for the purposes of determining whether the person "is or has been concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism."

Last time I looked, participation in demonstrations (even if disorderly) didn't qualify as 'an act of terrorism' (unless I've missed something else along the way).

I'm not bothered if he chucked petrol bombs - it's not terrorism. What they're after no doubt is the activists who might be on his contacts list.

I don’t disagree

Yes, but the Met may have had other info that (pardon the pun) warranted him being picked up at the border, especially in relation to terrorism issues. They're not going to reveal if or what information was passed to them.

Yes, but the Met may have had other info that (pardon the pun) warranted him being picked up at the border, especially in relation to terrorism issues. They're not going to reveal if or what information was passed to them.
Perhaps they have, but as reported (yes, I know) that 'other information' looks likely to be about him being a publisher of books by people critical of the government in France. It's all slightly whiffy. If France had enough to arrest him on, it could have and should have done so at the point of embarkation, surely?

Perhaps they have, but as reported (yes, I know) that 'other information' looks likely to be about him being a publisher of books by people critical of the government in France. It's all slightly whiffy. If France had enough to arrest him on, it could have and should have done so at the point of embarkation, surely?

or at any time. They chose to phone the brits instead. Why? That says to me that the evidence was too thin to hold water in France

Maybe, but I can think of reasons why he didn't have his collar felt by the gendarmes, but it would be idle speculation; we won't know the whole story.

Twelve MEPs wrote to the home secretary to express their outrage at the “scandalous treatment” of Ernest Moret, who was detained for almost 24 hours and whose iPhone and laptop remain in the hands of the British police.

The European politicians accused the British government of infringing basic human rights and abusing anti-terrorism laws.

The French government is also being urged by French MPs to explain its role in the arrest of Moret in London on Tuesday.

"In their letter to Braverman, the MEPs – including politicians from France, Germany, Ireland, Portugal and Spain – accused the British government of complicity in the French government’s crackdown on protest."

[Aurélie] Trouvé accused the French of outsourcing intimidation to the British. She said: “Ernest’s account of his interrogation suggests that the British authorities were really acting on a request, with a script, from the French police authorities, as the questions he was asked concerned exclusively his political and intellectual activities in France.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-over-arrest-of-french-publisher-ernest-moret

That exactly what people might have said in Germany in the 30s when they started rounding up the acivists. Let's wait and see, kein Rauch ohne Feuer, etc, etc

advertisement

Back