advertisement

Accumulated Hi-Fi Stuff

I'm getting on a bit but hopefully not dropping dead any time soon. I intend to draw up a list of values (including quite a few records and a car) that I'll pass on. I think they'll keep most of it for sentimental reasons (I wish, it'll probably all be on eBay the day after the funeral).

As a wise man once said - “When I’m gone, please don’t let my wife sell my hi-fi for what I told her I paid for it”

A lot of us buy sensibly and used, but the idea that you can move stuff on at a moment's notice is just wishful thinking and nonsense we tell partners. Unless it's Naim or Chord but who wants those in the first place :)
Mine is quite cute and sought after: AE 1 Actives, Technics Anniversary (unopened) JVC Amp with loads of 00s that the Flat one hypes and some other esoteric bits .

I have a lot of spare hifi stuff, but it’s the car audio esoteric stuff that’s the problem - I have about 10 of the big storage boxes full of very rare gear.

From a full set of Alpine Digital Max stuff, (7618 cd decks and processors, Juba 5959 cd players (these have Burr Brown PCM63k’s in and sound AMAZING!)

Momo steering wheel, Luxman/Alpine 3900 dacs etc) a huge McIntosh collection, including the top of the line head units and the MC4000M amp.. Nakamichi CD700 mk2, and about 5 Alto mobile ucs pro processors as well as numerous Alto amps. Oh and also all the Gordon Taylor modified Soundstream (Nelson Pass designed) class A amps) and a Velodyne subs, and Infinity Emit tweeters, and Various compression drivers and Veritas horns for mounting under the dash.

thinking about it all sitting there makes me sick!

I have compiled a spreadsheet of my MISB Lego portfolio, which I update with value information quarterly. But I haven't bothered with my hifi, mainly because there is no reliable source of pricing information for second-hand items.

That being said, I have accumulated quite a few bits and pieces, including countless loudspeaker parts. I think I have enough to make up at least three complete systems. My latest acquisition is a Naim NAC52 and a VPI-17i. Thank goodness I have a couple of spare bedrooms in the house.

I don’t really have any surplus Hifi, just the odd cable but I have a large number of magazines that I need to shift. I was looking the other day & noticed that I have mojo magazines dating back to the 90s, a big stack of Q also. For some reasons I am loath to just throw them out.

Ultimately I do want to get the music room into better shape, less of a ‘man cave’ & more of an additional room.

I have vague plans for bifolding doors & a more attractive media unit. Clutter is staring to pee me off.

As I have far fewer years ahead than behind me, I often remind myself that excess stuff has no role or place. If it provides you great pleasure then fine; otherwise it all has to go, regardless of its (often) dubious investment proposition. The only real indulgence that I seem to keep allowing myself is records and CDs. Even so, I am slowly culling everything.

The goal is to only surround myself with my most cherished music and hifi. I neither need nor desire a motley collection of 'classic' hifi gear or an impossibly huge library of music that never gets played.

If @martin clark has the EU DPA/Deltec mountain, I have been perilously close to the EU Quad mountain... at one point I got up to 4 x Quad FM4s, 3 x 34s, 2 x 306s, 1 x 405-2. I'm 'down' to 3 x FM4s, 2 x 34s, 1 x 306, 1 x 405-2 but I'm working on it... (honest!)

The build up was largely through buying extras to case swap an ensure that I have a really excellent condition set to keep. You then just have to be ruthless in moving the unwanted pieces on. The wonderful thing about Quad is it's pretty much all still serviceable and seems to have held it's value well.

This thread may just spur me on to listing some 'spares'; this lot just sitting in the office:
IMG-6838.jpg

Hi,

Recently one of my oldest friends passed away and left me his HiFi, LP and CD collection, the classic LP12, Ittok with an Adikt along with the Naim 250 system and Isobariks.

Now this coming Friday if all goes well I will get another system with another pair of Shahinian Arcs.

I might do the lottery tonight, this house is not big enough for all the systems I now have, currently five, I really need to sell some of them to get the space back.

The real point is you only need one, sell the rest and put the cash in savings and when something breaks buy new to replace that part.

Cheers

John

That being said, I have accumulated quite a few bits and pieces,

Hah, this remind me I was convinced I had a Snaps II lying around.
Was looking for it five-six years ago.
No luck.
Kept looking (big house)

Sold house few years back, item never showed up.
Either I have sold it - forgetting about it, or hidden on loft or elsewhere ?
;)

Someone's borrowed it.

I very rarely lend anything out these days. I got so fed up with not getting stuff back or it coming back broken. Lent my Rega book to someone, I'd hardly looked at it myself. Never got it back. Lent records to my brother in law, came back unplayable. It's annoying.

I'd guess there's roughly £3k in unused hi-fi cluttering up the flat. Which is weird as that's more than the actual hi-fi cost...

Records are the big ticket item. Discogs tells me they're collectively worth 20 - 40 times the cost of the hi-fi.

I keep hacking away to get them to a manageable number but I also love hunting for records and so more interesting (to me at least!) records keep coming into the flat...

I have a few cassette decks in the background, with one primary deck for transferring the remaining cassettes to digital. One turntable in reserve. But frankly, I've found that holding on to stuff for too long just leads to it going faulty, leaving it only with a 'spares or repairs' value, so no tracking spreadsheet for me....

I had two mint pairs of Mission 710s, from their earliest production range, one pair of mine, one of my Dad's, a lovely sweet-sounding speaker, kept them in the boxes in the attic until I needed them, only to find decayed surrounds on the bass units when I opened them up.

I had two mint pairs of Mission 710s, from their earliest production range, one pair of mine, one of my Dad's, a lovely sweet-sounding speaker, kept them in the boxes in the attic until I needed them, only to find decayed surrounds on the bass units when I opened them up.
I bought and sold about 15-20 pairs of Linn Kans in recent years. Maybe coincidence but the best pair of Kan 1s had been in daily use since new.

advertisement

Back