advertisement

Accumulated Hi-Fi Stuff

Charlie_1

pfm Member
Just created a spreadsheet to guestimate the value of all the Hi-Fi stuff I have accumulated over the years. I reckon there is easily over three grand's worth. I would have guessed about a third of that value. It's just interconnects, speaker cables, speaker stands, tables, bearings, lids, subchassis', little phono stages, wall shelves, racks, old PSUs, old crossovers, old drive units, the list goes on.

Now I've got to try and sell it all :(

I love the way Hi-Fi money is not like normal money. If I had something worth £200 just sitting around the house doing nothing it would be seen as a waste and sold off, but Hi-Fi gets 'special status' :)

Do you mean just surplus? Do spares count as surplus?

Then again, what does "surplus" mean? Who REALLY needs two TTs, or two arms on one TT?

Do you mean just surplus? Do spares count as surplus?
Just surplus that I doubt I will ever need - there's often that nagging doubt though! :D

I have more tied up in spares, especially speakers and stands, that I (or the kids) might need one day ... but probably never will

That's the way I've looked at my collection over the years but a recent couple of brushes with death has made me realise that it needs to go. I had quite a few thousands worth of vintage equipment and spares to move on or else it would fall to my Wife and Son to dispose of. Some of the nicer items have gone to a proposed 'Hi-Fi Museum' most of the rest from Radford monos, 401, TD124 to 40 cartridges with no or bent styli went on E-Bay. Still have some to dispose of including 2 x large boxes of NOS valves and lots of little bits and instruction books but I've made more than a substantial dent in it all.

I notice various newspapers through cornwall and devon advertising for vintage hifi like gerrard, thorens, westrex, western electric vitavox etc etc . Must be big business to post ads in all these papers ( cornish guardian and herald express 2 of the papers )

^ Good excuse! In which you can have three extra systems, I can have four. Bravo.
Haha. I have four systems in use (they do live here after all) and an extra two in cupboards. Plus various bits I keep meaning to put in the charity room here.

I’m also at the point of clearing up, I’m a serious hoarder, I know they’re all appreciating, but what happens if I drop dead tomorrow? Value will never be recognized, better I sell now…however hard that is :)

I know the feeling. As my music playback has improved over the years, I've never bothered to move on any of the older bits as they've been replaced, except for one system I sold whole in the mid 1970s. And there's one amplifier that I no longer have, but I have absolutely no memory of what I did with it.

It is irritating! I have at least 6 bits to sell but just struggle to get a grip. certainly well over 3K, and I'm in a minimal wage job now.

I’m also at the point of clearing up, I’m a serious hoarder, I know they’re all appreciating, but what happens if I drop dead tomorrow? Value will never be recognized, better I sell now…however hard that is :)
I'm getting on a bit but hopefully not dropping dead any time soon. I intend to draw up a list of values (including quite a few records and a car) that I'll pass on. I think they'll keep most of it for sentimental reasons (I wish, it'll probably all be on eBay the day after the funeral).

It is irritating! I have at least 6 bits to sell but just struggle to get a grip. certainly well over 3K, and I'm in a minimal wage job now.
A lot of us buy sensibly and used, but the idea that you can move stuff on at a moment's notice is just wishful thinking and nonsense we tell partners. Unless it's Naim or Chord but who wants those in the first place :)

I'm getting on a bit but hopefully not dropping dead any time soon. I intend to draw up a list of values (including quite a few records and a car) that I'll pass on. I think they'll keep most of it for sentimental reasons (I wish, it'll probably all be on eBay the day after the funeral).
Ha, I always think, the day after the funeral a guy comes round and says " No call for this stuff these days, but on compassionate grounds, I will take it all away for £50 for me diesel"

advertisement

Back