advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the CVNE Gran Reserva 2014. Had the first of them this year. Will try to delay opening the others...

Majestic sell a GR 2009 I think, not CVNE, only about £10 it's sensational value for money.

I once bought a case of ridiculously priced GS from 1967 or something from them for about £45 about 20 years ago, which was excellent, apparently someone had discovered a vat in some warehouse somewhere (Holland I think) and Majestic bought the lot and had it bottled.

Very easy to drink and agreeable wine and definitely a bargain at £18 IMO.
I bought some La Grande Prebois 2020 Chateauneuf du Pape by the Famille Perrin in a similar price band in the Waitrose 25% off offer. haven't tried it yet.
I'm hoping to make a trip to the premier London Waitrose in Canary Wharf before the offer ends.

On the subject of white, we had a bottle of Bonny Doon la Cigare blanc (with a chicken pie). Very white châteauneuf du papes-like. Around £16 and stocked by Tesco (and poss. Waitrose) where their 20% off offers make it worth stocking up.

This is a deal for Cellar Circle folks is it? Or is it good value at £110+ delivered?

I don't think I'd call any wine at £110+ good value. I think a great experience is what you have to hope for there.

Long-term storage or keeping in bond is key, I think. I bought the 2014 three and a half years ago and according to my notes it cost me £44.91/bottle. I'm not 100% certain, but I think that was the all-in price. That's been in the cellar ever since. The 2012s that I mentioned are still in bond, except for the one I've drunk, duh. They were £45 IB last summer, and still are - from the same merchant I bought from. 2016/7/8 can be found at that sort of level too - I'm finding the idea of the 2016 a tempting one. Holding in bond with a merchant who sells for clients has another advantage of course - you can withdraw one bottle, and if you don't like it flog the rest. With any luck you might turn a profit (even after the merchant’s whack is deducted). Top tip - don't try to sell 5 or 11 at once, that sets off potential buyers' warning klaxons. So I'm told.

I don't think I'd call any wine at £110+ good value. I think a great experience is what you have to hope for there.

Yes. I think if I were to join cellar circle I’d ask them to guide me to maybe four great experiences a year - everyday wines I’m fine for, I get plenty of good guidance on the web and at £20 to £30 I can afford to take the occasional disappointments - I’ve learned to buy a bottle before buying a case!

In two weeks it’s a special day - suppose I had, let’s say, £200, for a special bottle - a little treat - just one, ready to drink now, Any suggestions?

I would try Ridge Monte Bello 2018. £220 from Salusbury Winestore. Possibly a bit young but anything older sold out/more expensive. Also possibly the best USA wine but certainly not the most expensive.

I'd spotted Priorat in Aldi a while back for a tenner, and was curious - having not tried one before.
This morning I popped in there on my way into work, and spotted it at £3.99 - grabbed a couple, figuring if it's ropey, then I'm making a lamb casserole over the weekend which it can go into.

In two weeks it’s a special day - suppose I had, let’s say, £200, for a special bottle - a little treat - just one, ready to drink now, Any suggestions?
That’s really difficult, and I don’t want to fall in to the usual pfm trap of saying ‘that’s not what you should do’ or ‘you are asking the wrong question’ (even if that’s what I thought!) So - if it were me I’d either go for something I know very little about, which means asking someone who knows your tastes and blank spots well and whose own tastes you trust. Plus in my case, I’d rule out several areas through not getting on 100% with the style (Barolo, Rioja) or through irrational prejudice (Burgundy.) Not getting very far with that idea…

So… maybe something you have always had a hankering to try. For my OAP birthday last year I did that with Tertre Rôteboeuf. If I had another big celeb coming up and was following your guidelines I’d probably go for 2012 l’Eglise Clinet, which I’ve seen on Wine Searcher at £198. But that’s basically just down the road from TRB, which just goes to prove I’m a boring and unimaginative old git.

OK, forget my first sentence - I wouldn’t do either of those things!

Ooh look, I’ve spent so long on this rubbish that I’ve had a delivery of two mysterious bottles!

i.php

If I had another big celeb coming up and was following your guidelines I’d probably go for 2012 l’Eglise Clinet, which I’ve seen on Wine Searcher at £198.

Where? I can see Four Walls WIne Compny for £214 delivered.

Oh -- Sainsburys 25% now if anyone fancies that gluggable lovely Perrin C9DP

I would try Ridge Monte Bello 2018. £220 from Salusbury Winestore. Possibly a bit young but anything older sold out/more expensive. Also possibly the best USA wine but certainly not the most expensive.

The thing that's worrying me slightly about going for this one is that it's young.

@gintonic A friend of mine rates the Château Peyrabon, though older than that -- let me know what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back