advertisement

Need fast speakers

Speed and transient response has as much to do with notes starting crisply as it does stopping quickly. Sealed boxes are better for this in the LF spectrum than bass reflex. The other consideration is how well integrated the driver complement is. Single driver loudspeakers have a huge advantage for sounding coherent.

Sadly, there remains relatively few sealed systems that are available new - certainly those with 10 or 12" woofers.

Speed and transient response has as much to do with notes starting crisply as it does stopping quickly. Sealed boxes are better for this in the LF spectrum than bass reflex. The other consideration is how well integrated the driver complement is. Single driver loudspeakers have a huge advantage for sounding coherent.

Sadly, there remains relatively few sealed systems that are available new - certainly those with 10 or 12" woofers.

Very true.

A good sealed box two-way could be the answer.

Often, a better performing speaker can be had purchased pre-used, as opposed to buying brand-new.

My reference is a pair of Yamaha NS-1000M with Troels Gravesen crossovers.

Very nice!

Not heard the TROELS crossovers, but the (stock) YAMAHA NS-1000 sound very similar to our own reference. MAGNAT ALL-RIBBON 6 with upgraded crossovers.

That said, our 2-way MAGNAT ALL-RIBBON 2 - with upgraded crossovers - are not far behind and sometimes a better match for smaller listening rooms.

I feel certain that something along these lines would thrill the OP.

Just get a set of Atc scm 11 or 19, although heavy cones the motor structure allows almost led type reaction..

I have to confess that I have not managed to hear the highly regarded ATC speakers, but they certainly look like the right formula on paper.

Even the smaller SCM 7 has an almost cult following.

A sealed box speaker from ATC is probably another very good recommendation, if budget allows.

I think speed depends on the ability to play peaks in music quickly and fully. I have come to the conclusion that any crossovers smooth out the peaks and dynamics. In addition, some types of cones and drivers in general also make the sound slow. I agree with you that a sealed box will seem faster than ports.

I don’t think so. As Tony said it’s mostly a tonal balance issue that can be aggravated by room resonances.

Reviews/marketing are misleading.

Fast = Quad ESL of any flavour

Agreed. Compared to the big ProAc Responses which preceded them, my big Quads undoubtedly had a more instantaneous delivery; understandable when you compare how the different formats work. As for WAF factor, even the smaller ones need space.

Have recently acquired PMC transmission line floor standers as a temporary measure, I'm surprised at their crispness AND bass extension. Oh yes, imaging/soundstage as well, not that the ESLs were slouches in this respect.

Paradox is the record takes the same time no matter how fast speakers o_O
I often wonder what reviewers mean when they say a component makes it sound like the musicians are not in time with each other. I've seen it said several times over the years. I'm not denying they're hearing it but it must be psychoacoustic surely?

distortion from a tiny bass-mid being pushed far too hard into a harsh mid-forward mess. I refer to it as ‘small speaker fist punch’. The sound of a little driver under strain. Give me the effortless and easy sound of a speaker with vast headroom being asked to do very little every time.
You're just reading my mind. I absolutely agree.
I recommend the OP start with a SEALED BOX (NO PORT) loudspeaker, preferably with an 8” woofer
Yes, I'm starting to put the concept together gradually. It should be a sealed box. Also, it should be a big box, I think about 250 litres. This box should have a wide front panel to reduce the possibility of buffle-step problems. A big driver, preferably 10-12 inches, will be needed for proper bass. Minimal or no crossover is preferable.
This could be a large 10" full-range driver in a large sealed box or perhaps a Tannoy driver in a DIY sealed box. Or a Klipsch La Scala, which I haven't heard yet.
May I ask which Harbeth model you previously owned and what amp was used with the speakers?

You may consider Graham if you are looking for a sound that does not deviate too much from the Harbeth but with slightly improved clarity and detail, adding to the speed that you seek.
I had a Harbeth SHL5plus with a Mark Levinson 5802 amplifier. I am no longer considering BBC models.

Yes, I'm starting to put the concept together gradually. It should be a sealed box. Also, it should be a big box, I think about 250 litres. This box should have a wide front panel to reduce the possibility of buffle-step problems. A big driver, preferably 10-12 inches, will be needed for proper bass. Minimal or no crossover is preferable.
This could be a large 10" full-range driver in a large sealed box or perhaps a Tannoy driver in a DIY sealed box. Or a Klipsch La Scala, which I haven't heard yet.

I had a Harbeth SHL5plus with a Mark Levinson 5802 amplifier. I am no longer considering BBC models.
I've recently bought a pair of the original SD Acoustics SD1 speakers, they have an 8" woofer in a 70x40x40 sealed cabinet with a wide sloped baffle. I want to do some restoration/mods as one of the tweeters has lost some doping and they are stuffed full with horrible insulation foam but they sound pretty good as is.

Do you have a view on optimum stuffing for large sealed boxes?

The Yamaha NS1000 might be what you’re looking for.

This is a problem because I don't like JBL. Their LF driver is too far behind the horn, and the horn is too prickly and sharp. The Klipsch has the horn coloring, but the Cornwall model is really interesting to me. I haven't heard the Altec.
Are there any Tannoy models that are subjectively fast?
I have a list of contenders to buy, but I know very little about these speakers. They include the Zu Audio, various models of Lowther, and the Epos 14.[/QUOTE

250 litres ? You’re into Tannoy GRF territory there ! Big. My Yorks were less than that.

This box should have a wide front panel to reduce the possibility of buffle-step problems. A big driver, preferably 10-12 inches, ....

Not everyone is concerned with imaging/soundstaging (although it's an important facet for me) and it's my experience that the wider the front baffle, the less the imaging. From the mid sixties, I grew up with and also knocked up large coned I.B. speakers (though the Goodmans 15" mass cab's had an ostensibly pointless 'radiator' form of port). In the past decades, speaker cab's seem to have got narrower and deeper and (therefore), bass cones smaller. However, there has been considerable improvement in speaker units to go with these narrower (and domestically preferable?) cab's.

My Leak 2075s were also 15" in their lower part; otherwise 12" bass units prevailed for me, until I went to ProAc with their 8" bass units, all deep cab's and imaging well but ported. I then changed horses to big ESLs and completely lost the plot. However, the bass extension of my PMC (Twenty.26) drivers at 6.5/7" is prodigious, though being trans. line rather muddies the waters there, I feel.

Although I've no personal ownership experience, Tannoys have appeared (to these ears) to offer both pin-point accuracy of focus with speed and good-sized drivers whilst also not requiring muscle amps. Might've missed it but don't know your amplification complement as that would narrow down your choice somewhat, I feel.

advertisement

Back