advertisement

Need fast speakers

Ugh. Such snobbery from Bonzo!

(in fact this thread has brought out the worst of them - toys etc - hilarious) rolls eyes

Seriously, is anyone into SETs going to use Devialet? Is anyone into Dagostino, Krell, Boulder, Vitus, Audionet, etc going to use Devialet to drive big panels or cones? Devialet is a one box source, pre, and power for convenience, that hides well with minimum visibility.

And instead of a solid state driven standamount you can get a lower priced vintage tannoy gold you can drive with 20 - 50 watts. But then you will need valves and that will take more space than Devialet and room will get hot. Unless you are from the school that calls all valves distortion

And you could get Tannoys as standamount or in the corners for a living room type scenario where you don't want big speakers out.

neither the Diablo Utopia or Devialet are anything more than convenience products for semi audiophiles those who want to not do much search but get something small for a living room to stream average music

Have you actually heard them? Of course, they are not horns and exotic rare valves but I can assure you, they do some aspects of music reproduction incredibly well.

Have you actually heard them? Of course, they are not horns and exotic rare valves but I can assure you, they do some aspects of music reproduction incredibly well.

I didn't get into conversation with the above person but most likely he has never heard one ,especially 1000 pro

Focal Diablo Utopia III. And Devialet with Martin Logans, Avalon, Anima, Wilson. And outside hifi shows, where often gear might not be well set up so that doesn't count.

Look if I had Utopia and could fit in only standamounts that's fine, but I would rather get an older Tannoy for cheaper. And Devialet I would never get except for WAF reasons.

Have you considered strapping a set of wheels and a rocket on a pair? That should speed them up greatly.

I think it's right to write here about the speakers I've chosen at this point.
The Diatone KB610MT gave me speed and correct timbres. It was a bargain. The speakers are in excellent condition. I now regret not buying these speakers earlier. Compared to these Diatones my past Harbeth SHL5plus An. speakers are incredibly overpriced.

The subjectively 'fastest' speakers I've owned are Mission's 752 Freedom with their HDA drivers. That they can also be 'warm/full' sounding at the same time is/was quite an achievement.

For comparison; Stirling's LS3/6 BBC Reference, whilst nice with voice and acoustic genres just lacked the drive and speed required to make them all-rounders, at least with the amplifiers at my disposal.

Depending on your budget and room I’d suggest going and listening to some proper big horns (Klipsch, JBL, Altec etc). Not a cheap way to make a loudspeaker, and they need space to work (which was my issue), but they have an immediacy and directness unmatched by standard moving coil cones in boxes. It’s not a world without compromise, but if dynamics are your thing nothing else comes close.

would love to hear some of those- just out of curiosity

advertisement

Back