advertisement

£649 for a kettle lead? Peanuts!

There must be a heritage fabrication company pressing these for a couple o' hundred quid a piece?
Knowing my luck I'd buy these, fit them, have them painted, take my lovely MK1 Cortina out for a spin and suffer a front end collision within five minutes; because of that (and because I don't have a Cortina), ahm oot.

There must be a heritage fabrication company pressing these for a couple o' hundred quid a piece?
Knowing my luck I'd buy these, fit them, have them painted, take my lovely MK1 Cortina out for a spin and suffer a front end collision within five minutes; because of that (and because I don't have a Cortina), ahm oot.
Traceability to genuine OEM parts will make a huge difference to the resale price of a car.

I was given a tour of the Proton factory in KL and the presses used are monsters

I used to operate one at Toyota, Komatsu - about the size of 3-4 terraced houses, same height above ground and the scrap chutes under ground about the same depth. Not something you'd want to be caught inside of.

4800T pretty much same as this, you can see the camera shake when it hits the first panel

Traceability to genuine OEM parts will make a huge difference to the resale price of a car.
I
Yes to all of the above. Also yes, the guy is chancing his arm. Can't blame him for that, maybe someone will come along and "only" offer £2k. Oh, g'wan then, you're robbing me blind but go on.

I'd have to be totally convinced of the provenance of anything like that before before paying serious money for them.

I'd have to be totally convinced of the provenance of anything like that before before paying serious money for them.
You would have to be daft in any case. Sure, original panels are easier to fit, but anybody with the requisite skill can make a good pattern panel fit perfectly. I know, I've done it. It's not rocket science. In addition, any Mk 1 Cortina has 50 years of patches and bodgery. Remember all these cars needed welding after 5 years regardless, does anyone imagine that back street garages were using all original panels on older cars? (Clue - no.). I'm trying to remember the name of the panel manufacturer who used to advertise every week in Exchange and Mart. Between them and Heathrow Engine Centre they were the means by which old cars lived.
All this said, somebody will convince himself that original panels (made by an OEM supplier, not Ford, ofc) have some mystical power, and he'll hand over a ridiculous sum over and above that needed to buy identical bits made by Veng or similar that are brand new and won't need 50 years of surface dust spotting removing.

All this said, somebody will convince himself that original panels (made by an OEM supplier, not Ford, ofc) have some mystical power, and he'll hand over a ridiculous sum over and above that needed to buy identical bits made by Veng or similar that are brand new and won't need 50 years of surface dust spotting removing

Why would they be made by an OEM and not Ford?

Why would they be made by an OEM and not Ford?
Because that's how Ford and others generally run to reduce costs and mitigate risk. If Ford have a pressing plant and the press breaks down, or there's a fire, or a strike, they're stuffed. In addition a pressing plant is huge and an investment so big needs to have a lot of volume that one manufacturer alone can't provide. Cue the OEMs, Ford buy parts from 2 or 3 for all key areas. This allows them to play one against the other for price, the OENs make bits for various customers (lower risk again) and people concentrate on what they are good at. In Ford 's case this is assembly of cars. They *might* vertically integrate parts of their business and have an engine plant (like Dagenham) but these days I am told that the vast majority of components are made by oems. It's the same for me, making food. Some businesses may have a good deal of vertical integration, most not. Sandwich manufacturer s for example have almost none. Assemple, pack, despatch.

When I visited the Ford plant at Dagenham as a kid in the 70s, they not only had their own panel presses, they also had their own foundry. The main factory building was so long that the far end was in a slight haze. Incredible operation.

ETA: https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/photos/item/JLP01/01/049/17

Stirs some memories for me. I went round the Dagenham plant on a school visit in the early 1960s. Remember seeing a row of the ‘new’ Anglia 105E shells hung from a rotating line (possibly before or after paint spraying). We were shown samples of iron ore as part of the story of steel production to finished car. Also recall our male teacher ‘tackled’ the Ford guy over production stoppages due to strikes! I would have been late primary school years and we lived in in Walthamstow.

advertisement

Back