advertisement

£649 for a kettle lead? Peanuts!

I was surprised to see the Proton press stamping out Perodua body panels. This was odd as Perodua are their main competitor and part of Toyota.
These days Proton are part of Geely and related to Volvo

Because that's how Ford and others generally run to reduce costs and mitigate risk. If Ford have a pressing plant and the press breaks down, or there's a fire, or a strike, they're stuffed. In addition a pressing plant is huge and an investment so big needs to have a lot of volume that one manufacturer alone can't provide. Cue the OEMs, Ford buy parts from 2 or 3 for all key areas. This allows them to play one against the other for price, the OENs make bits for various customers (lower risk again) and people concentrate on what they are good at. In Ford 's case this is assembly of cars. They *might* vertically integrate parts of their business and have an engine plant (like Dagenham) but these days I am told that the vast majority of components are made by oems. It's the same for me, making food. Some businesses may have a good deal of vertical integration, most not. Sandwich manufacturer s for example have almost none. Assemple, pack, despatch.

I think you'll find most of them have their own press shop.

I'd have been amazed if they didn't!
The size of the operation at Dagenham was astounding. Mostly housing now, with just the diesel engine plant and the priceless Ford Heritage Collection, which is housed in this old shack

FullSizeRender_mJUR3UDG5HaDub7FzEaqVN.jpg

Last edited:
Because that's how Ford and others generally run to reduce costs and mitigate risk. If Ford have a pressing plant and the press breaks down, or there's a fire, or a strike, they're stuffed. In addition a pressing plant is huge and an investment so big needs to have a lot of volume that one manufacturer alone can't provide. Cue the OEMs
No doubt that’s the current model, but back when the Mk1 Cortina was around, the only OEMs were for electrical and hydraulic parts, certainly not body panels and the like.

No doubt that’s the current model, but back when the Mk1 Cortina was around, the only OEMs were for electrical and hydraulic parts, certainly not body panels and the like.
I bet Lancia, Alfa et al wish their panels had been made by other companies back in the 70s and 80s!

My uncle Ian managed one of the lines at Dagenham. Luckily had a couple of extensive guided tours behind the scenes.

In the early 2000s I did some software work for IBC in Luton, where they were making Nissan, Renault and Vauxhall vans on the same lines. The panel presses were always mesmerising to watch.

My uncle Ian managed one of the lines at Dagenham. Luckily had a couple of extensive guided tours behind the scenes.

In the early 2000s I did some software work for IBC in Luton, where they were making Nissan, Renault and Vauxhall vans on the same lines. The panel presses were always mesmerising to watch.
I saw someone lose a handful of fingers to a press with a non-functional light guard. The die was circular so he lost 2/3 of his first finger, all the next finger and some of the knuckle, 3/4 of his ring finger and 1/2 of his little pinkie; all thrown into the scrap hopper.

advertisement

Back